2016 SD Card Reader Installed

wish i would of seen this post before i got the reader on ebay, only paid 14.99 for it so no big loss, confirmed apple carplay does not work with this reader, have to use the front usb ports. I do have 2 sd card readers, so if someone wants one shoot me a message and i'll sell it for what i paid for it.

Did it work prior to the swap?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did it work prior to the swap?

the usb reader that came with the truck works fine for apple play, the sd card reader with usb ports works fine but apple play does not work with it. guessing since it is from 2014 and those don't have apple play that it wasn't designed to support it.

the usb reader that came with the truck works fine for apple play, the sd card reader with usb ports works fine but apple play does not work with it. guessing since it is from 2014 and those don't have apple play that it wasn't designed to support it.

This is interesting because the USB protocol should be the same and don't understand why Apple Car Play doesn't work. It's just a USB connection. Unless GM used USB 1.1 and Apple Car Play needs USB 2.0. Current USB standard is now 3.0. Hmmm... this makes me want to get a reader just to tear it apart to compare the connections... [emoji848].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting because the USB protocol should be the same and don't understand why Apple Car Play doesn't work. It's just a USB connection. Unless GM used USB 1.1 and Apple Car Play needs USB 2.0. Current USB standard is now 3.0. Hmmm... this makes me want to get a reader just to tear it apart to compare the connections... [emoji848].

[emoji1303]

Yeah dont do this. It will eventually fry the power output on that port of the HMI and also it wont work with Carplay/Android Auto.

I presume the reader and the USB ports are not your typical USB jacks then?

After reading this thread I decided to try an experiment on my 2017. I grabbed my SD card to usb converter that I use to check the pics from the memory cards on my game cams. Plugged it in and hit the media button on the dash. It read all my music on my SD card. Steering wheel controls also work. The card reader only cost $2. post-54656-148798925359_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

post-54656-148798925359_thumb.jpg

that is who i got mine from. I've not seen any issues so far, just that apple play does not work using it.

Archived