60,000 mile fluid changes

Romo

My wife took her car in to her dealer to get an oil change on her 2012 Yukon XL. The service manager said that it was time for a major fluid change which included brake fluid along with several other fluids. This service was going to be over $500.00. I'm sure they are ripping her off, as nothing is mentioned about this in the owners manual. Her car has 60,000 miles on it. What do you think?

It's not a terrible idea to flush the brake fluid after 4 years/60,000 miles. It is hydroscopic and does need periodic changes. 60k is a good time to service the transmission, transfer case and differentials also. Coolant should be changed @ 5 yrs (or 150k miles, whichever comes first).

You could go strictly by the manual but in my experience, the manual calls for a bare minimum. At least use the severe service schedule. I have never seen a vehicle that meets the light duty service interval description.

This is a typical scam and it never fails, they try to pull it on the wife when you aren't there to say no. They come up to you with some tranny fluid on a paper towel and tell you it's dirty and needs to be changed causing anyone not in the know to worry that your car is just about on the verge of breaking down if you don't do what they say. Just tell them to leave it alone. I have a 98 Yukon and an 03 Silverado, both with 200,000+ miles on them and have never touched the trans, diff, brake fluid etc., and all work A1. We also have an 09 Pontiac G6 with 120,000 rounds on the clock, same deal, other than routine oil changes we haven't touched a thing or have had any issues whatsoever. I'm not saying this type of service is a rip-off, maybe around 150,000+ miles or so it would be a good idea, but at 60,000 miles you're nowhere near needing this type of work done, especially the brake fluid, that's total joke. What does brake fluid harm is when the car isn't driven for very long periods of time (like months or years), moisture can eventually collect in the fluid and the brake system, driving the car every day, the brake system heating up, etc., keeps the moisture out of the fluid. Get the oil changed and tell them thanks!

Thats the normal extreme use part in your service manual. All brands pretty go by that section. If you plan to keep you vehicle past 100K miles and a few more years do it, it cheaper than car payments and will prolong the life of the transmission.

My wife took her car in to her dealer to get an oil change on her 2012 Yukon XL. The service manager said that it was time for a major fluid change which included brake fluid along with several other fluids. This service was going to be over $500.00. I'm sure they are ripping her off, as nothing is mentioned about this in the owners manual. Her car has 60,000 miles on it. What do you think?

This is a typical scam and it never fails, they try to pull it on the wife when you aren't there to say no. They come up to you with some tranny fluid on a paper towel and tell you it's dirty and needs to be changed causing anyone not in the know to worry that your car is just about on the verge of breaking down if you don't do what they say. Just tell them to leave it alone. I have a 98 Yukon and an 03 Silverado, both with 200,000+ miles on them and have never touched the trans, diff, brake fluid etc., and all work A1. We also have an 09 Pontiac G6 with 120,000 rounds on the clock, same deal, other than routine oil changes we haven't touched a thing or have had any issues whatsoever. I'm not saying this type of service is a rip-off, maybe around 150,000+ miles or so it would be a good idea, but at 60,000 miles you're nowhere near needing this type of work done, especially the brake fluid, that's total joke. What does brake fluid harm is when the car isn't driven for very long periods of time (like months or years), moisture can eventually collect in the fluid and the brake system, driving the car every day, the brake system heating up, etc., keeps the moisture out of the fluid. Get the oil changed and tell them thanks!

If you're changing original trans fluid @ 150k you're doing more harm than good.

Without following the maintenance schedule in your owners manual ... they can refuse warranty work if still under warranty .... I go 120,000 miles with just oil changes, tire rotations, air filter, and then trade in at about 3 years old. No issues on my last 4 vehicles sine 2004 ... and I plow snow and tow a boat (both are light use towings *& plowing - not commercial) All Good

If your keeping the truck for many years then I'd say service it - trading soon - don't worry

Just my opinion

Dexron VI is ~$8/quart on amazon. You need about 10-12 quarts to change all the fluid in the transmission. That is doing it the redneck way of dropping the pan changing the filter, putting the pan back on filling trans with 5 quarts. Then disconnect the transmission cooling return line and pump out a quart at a time. Amazon has a Wix filter and gasket for $17.62.

Dexcool is $12.99 a gallon from Amazon. I think it holds roughly 4 gallons.

So $48 for coolant, $96.00 for Transmission fluid & filter for $17.62. Retail price for fluids $162.00

Essentially you are paying nearly $350.00 in labor for this service. At 60,000 miles your coolant is most likely fine. Transmission is most likely ok, If you tow with any regularity, might not be a bad idea. I went 120K on my truck transmission and changed the fluid. My son has a 2001 S10 with 230K miles on it. Only fluid transmission fluid change it has had is when I had to pull the torque converter last year.

My other son has a POS 1999 Monte Carlo. Bought with 130K on it. Don't know if that was the actual mileage or not, most likely many more miles than that on it. Changed the transmission fluid in June. It looked a little funky, was a brownish color. Changed the fluid the redneck way. The fluid did help with firming up some of the shifts. If the transmission goes on that car, car will go to the junk yard.

Very small sample, but I think the dealer is selling you a bunch of stuff you do not need.

Seems pretty steep to me.

That's GM's way of getting you to go to the dealer to have them do all the services. The dealer or a repair shop with the right tool hooks up the Tech II or whatever they are using now and checks the fluid that way.

The idea that you change oil every 3,000 miles and ignore the transmission fluid for 200,000 miles is crazy. Just because you have had no trouble in 200,000 miles does not mean you did you transmission any good. Transmission shop rely on owners never changing the fluid. The owners manual recommends changing the transmission fluid for a reason, because the fluid will eventually wear out, its not designed to last forever, after all it was made by the low bidder.

I don't understand how people believe that if you let is go for 150,000 miles you should never change it because it make it worse. even if it were to fail its because you left it go that long and it was only a matter of time before it took a dump. The lack of transmission maintenance. e.g.. timely fluid changes, can be blamed for 90% of transmission problems.

I follow the same mindset I use with all my commercial vehicles. All factory drivetrain fluids get changed at the first 5000 miles. Trans (with filter change), diffs, xfer, and engine. Amazing the wear metals that are in those fluids and the amount on the magnetic drain plugs. After that, I use the severe service category intervals, as all my vehicles fall into that category.

Archived