AWD vs. 2WD MPG

Topic for the Z71 owners only.

All wheel drive? Auto wheel drive? Whatever it is, can we agree that it turns all 4 wheels? OK, moving on.

First off, I've tried several tanks of gas and all have the same outcome. I get 2-3 better MPG in AWD than 2WD. Now the MPG is only 17 MPG in AWD compared to 14-15 MPG in 2WD but it's still better.

According to the owner's manual and common sense, 2WD should be the more fuel efficient option. 17 MPG in AWD is great but 19-20 in 2WD would be awesome.

2 part question on this post...

What kind of MPG are y'all getting with your stock Z71?

Can anybody explain my MPG pattern?

BTW, my 2016 Z71 is pretty much stock besides the 2.25" level kit and Magnaflow exhaust.

He's from Houston. In Texas we don't get much cold weather, so we don't really get the winter/summer economy differences. I average 17 to 18 MPG all year long. On the rare occasion when it is really cold, I'll notice a tank or 2 getting lower mileage, but it doesn't last for months or anything like that.

• Like 1

:banghead: You're in Texas, why you running around in 4wd?

Something is wrong as that shouldn't be happening, should be the other way. Are you sure you are properly using the 4wd settings?

That isn't a Z71 specific question only, it is a anyone with 4wd and your same engine question...

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 2

First of all, its Auto 4WD, not AWD.
Then, just selecting Auto 4 wheel drive does not automatically put the truck in 4wd, only when it senses that all 4 wheels need power depending on the circumstances.

Turn the dial to 4WD HI and see what happens.

But I also don't support driving around in 4WD when its not necessary, just extra wear and tear

4WD not AWD

First of all, its Auto 4WD, not AWD.

Then, just selecting Auto 4 wheel drive does not automatically put the truck in 4wd, only when it senses that all 4 wheels need power depending on the circumstances.

Turn the dial to 4WD HI and see what happens.

But I also don't support driving around in 4WD when its not necessary, just extra wear and tear

4WD not AWD

I disagree. 4 Auto does engage the front driveshaft so that it's all synchronized. The only component that's not engaged until it senses that it needs to be is the transfer case and that's done with a clutch. You can even feel it when in 4 Auto. The MPG is slightly reduced for sure.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post. I thought it said 4 Auto DOES put it in 4WD.

Edited by '17 Sierra
  • Like 1

To answer some of your questions...

Yes I live in Houston so our winter is non-existent. I think it lasted 3 days this year.

My driving habits are the same whether in 2WD or AWD. I drive like a 70 year old.

I drive the same route 5-7 days a week, about 55 miles a day.

I only use Shell gas and usually from the same store

I use the AWD because the truck gets amazing traction, wet or dry.

To answer some of your questions...

Yes I live in Houston so our winter is non-existent. I think it lasted 3 days this year.

My driving habits are the same whether in 2WD or AWD. I drive like a 70 year old.

I drive the same route 5-7 days a week, about 55 miles a day.

I only use Shell gas and usually from the same store

I use the AWD because the truck gets amazing traction, wet or dry.

So you leave it in 4 Auto all the time? To each his own...you are causing premature wear on the front wheel drive system.

• Like 3

Logic would hold that your truck would burn more gas in Auto. The front axles are engaged in Auto, so you're putting more mechanical drag on your engine in that setting.

So, why buy a 4x4 in Texas? Do you have a ranch or do a lot of camping or hunting? I couldn't see owing a 4x4 in that area unless I had a reason to go off road.

• Like 1

Logic would hold that your truck would burn more gas in Auto. The front axles are engaged in Auto, so you're putting more mechanical drag on your engine in that setting.

So, why buy a 4x4 in Texas? Do you have a ranch or do a lot of camping or hunting? I couldn't see owing a 4x4 in that area unless I had a reason to go off road.

Why wouldn't you but a 4x4 in Texas???

Because of reasons...

1. I plan on lifting it. Lifting a 2WD truck is like buying a V6 sports car

2. I like to go mudding

3. I can afford one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1