How many miles are on your 2014+

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has 87k miles and was recently was in the shop for the air condition for the fifth time since I purchased it new. Two of the five were under warranty the last three were not. Control module was replace the first time. AC compressor was replaced on the second visit. High-pressure hose third visit. Loss of Freon dye installed to find leak 4th visit. Condenser replaced last week. I have spent a total of $1500 in the past month on this truck.

Now that it's time for 90,000 mile service and the with the potential for additional AC issues I plan to trade it in within the next week or 2. Can't decide if I want to try another 2017 GM truck or switch to Ford all together. This has been the worst new car experience I've had. Also since new have replaced coil packs and the vibration is transient above 70 mph. Based on the vibration thread that has over 700 replies the problem hasn't been cured. Also had the shifting seat and dashboard creaks.

I still love the looks of the truck which has kept it in the driveway. But the last month had made me decide to cut my losses.

Just hit 78k, so far had the radiator replaced and I'm going in for an AC compressor today... apparently there is a huge leak on the compressor. Plus the radiator is still leaking but GMC refuses to fix it because it passes the pressure test and they can't replicate the problem....

I've replaced "ALL" the fluids including trans, differential, radiators etc. Replaced the battery 2 weeks ago and I got new tires last year. Replaced the stock brake rotors and pads with Power Stop K6560-36 Z36 Brake Kit and this has to be the best purchase I've made so far for this truck aside from the cap. Stopping now is so much better than with the stock set up, although it is a lot dustier.

I also changed the bulb to the Alla Lighting 8000lm Xtremely Super Bright 6500K

These led bulbs are really good, much better than the stock ones. I have the LED fogs on as well. I had the HID in the fogs but they died.

I started doing oil changes at 25% left with full Synthetic a while back and have notice it's a bit smoother than waiting to 5% oil life.

I'm worried what it will be like once I get pass 100k. I just hopes the transmission dies before my extended warranty ends at 100k. I'm terrified to find out what a transmission costs to replace without....

I think I'm going to trade or sell before I hit 80k miles, mainly because of the problems with transmission. I've stayed ahead of all the fluids and servicing and I honestly don't think this truck will last much longer. It's really upsetting....

I think I'm going to Toyota and I'm not looking back. Wished I bought the Tundra instead when I was comparing the two....

Edited by dat329

Just hit 78k, so far had the radiator replaced and I'm going in for an AC compressor today... apparently there is a huge leak on the compressor. Plus the radiator is still leaking but GMC refuses to fix it because it passes the pressure test and they can't replicate the problem....

I've replaced "ALL" the fluids including trans, differential, radiators etc. Replaced the battery 2 weeks ago and I got new tires last year. Replaced the stock brake rotors and pads with Power Stop K6560-36 Z36 Brake Kit and this has to be the best purchase I've made so far for this truck aside from the cap. Stopping now is so much better than with the stock set up, although it is a lot dustier.

I also changed the bulb to the Alla Lighting 8000lm Xtremely Super Bright 6500K

These led bulbs are really good, much better than the stock ones. I have the LED fogs on as well. I had the HID in the fogs but they died.

I started doing oil changes at 25% left with full Synthetic a while back and have notice it's a bit smoother than waiting to 5% oil life.

I'm worried what it will be like once I get pass 100k. I just hopes the transmission dies before my extended warranty ends at 100k. I'm terrified to find out what a transmission costs to replace without....

I think I'm going to trade or sell before I hit 80k miles, mainly because of the problems with transmission. I've stayed ahead of all the fluids and servicing and I honestly don't think this truck will last much longer. It's really upsetting....

I think I'm going to Toyota and I'm not looking back. Wished I bought the Tundra instead when I was comparing the two....

I really like my 15 Sierra,but wish I would have looked in to all these problems before I sold my 06.

I really like my 15 Sierra,but wish I would have looked in to all these problems before I sold my 06.

I won't be buying 1st year runs of trucks anymore. To be honest, the first year and a half, owning the truck was awesome. Then things started failing one by one. A GMC rep told me that the radiator was a big problem for them since it's a new and "very high pressure system."

I'll keep you posted on the AC system: Per my own mechanic it's leaking on the right side of the condenser and the receiver dryer.

The transmission got stuck in 1st gear and I had to stop and turn the truck off and put it in park and neutral a few times before it released... It is clunky and shifts hard sometimes. I've changed the trans fluids at 50k miles and just recently changed the differential. You should change your diff fluid if you haven't. Mine was black at 75k.

If you are under warranty, get everything checked out before it runs out. The radiator alone costs over 2k to replace. I'm not sure if my AC is going to be covered under the extended warranty....anyone know? I purchased it at the GM dealership

Either way, enjoy your truck. I love this truck, it's so damn pretty!!!!! If the transmission wasn't $#%^, I would keep this truck despite all the other issues.

However if I was doing it all over again, I would look past the pretty blue color and rims and would go for the Tundra.

I'm trading this in for a LX570. Apparently these are a lot more durable.

Edited by dat329

96,550 on my 14 high country

slight vibration at 73-80 mph not enough to bother me.

my real problem is the shitty transmission. it has the usual sluggish feeling but it has pretty common hard downshift from 3-2 and 2-1. I guess chevy doesn't have a fix for it only way to fix is an aftermarket tune and void the rest of my warranty.

I have a feeling these trucks are going to be worthless in 3-5 years once all these issues and transmission woes come out. I have talked so many people out of buying new 16's and 17's. I tell them when they go for the test drive see if they like how sluggish the transmission is. press the pedal 90% of the way down and it does nothing. only way to fix it is a $600 warranty voiding aftermarket tune

Hey everybody,

Long-time lurker. First-time poster. I've never been much of a forum guy mainly because I don't have the time to browse, but after experiencing the first round of recalls, I came across this website it's been a very helpful community so I thank you all for the content. I'll try to be thorough with my experience to help out other owners.

I have a 2014 Sierra Reg. Cab SLE with the 5.3. It currently has 110,00 miles and still ticking. It's my daily driver and I plan on running it into the ground. I purchased the truck for 40k brand new in the summer of 2014. This is my first truck since my old '88 GMC I had back in highschool.

For recalls I've had two recalls on the seatbelt tensioner. A recall on the airbags not deploying. Then there was a recall on that airbag recall because the updated software didn't fix the problem the first time. Finally I've had a recall on the trailer hitch having a bad weld. These were all before 50k miles.

I've had the radiator replaced before 50k. A cylinder misfire around 80k. I've replaced the bulbs for the headlights because they're pretty much like candles up front and I noticed the dampening system for the tailgate doesn't work as well as it used to.

Other than that, this truck has been reliable. I've shared similar complaints of other owners for this generation (HD radio can't keep a signal, lethargic power delivery, shaking around 70 mph, clunky transmission, very stiff suspension with the Z71 package). Those issues haven't kept me making it from point A to point B so I've learned accept them as part of the ownership experience.

Despite that being said, this truck is a disappointment from a price stand point. For the money, I expect much more in terms of build quality. After 3-4 years of ownership and 110k miles of highway driving, the amount of rust underneath is depressing. I live in the northeast so road salt is an issue, but I've owned used vehicles with less rust. I take very good care of all my vehicles, but I feel like this one is a losing battle. The interior door panels are starting to come off, the steering wheel has wear and tear and is starting to fade. The stitching on the steering wheel and dash is coming undone. I just expected more for the price.

Would I buy again? I don't know. I mostly haul things in the bed, not tow and I travel long distances. I need reliability above anything else. Value is big too. 40k can get you a lot of car from different manufacturers. I've look at Fords and the transmission issues I've read about in their other vehicles scare me away. The Ram, especially the EcoDiesel sounded very appealing at first, but after checking the Ram forums they sound much worse off than us.

That leaves Toyota and Nissan. I appreciate the Ridgeline for what it is, but the bed is too shallow. A bunch of my co-workers have Tundras. They've tried every other manufacturer out their and have now settled on Toyotas. Toyota might be the way to go. Someone on here mentioned a Lexus LX or a Toyota Land Cruiser. I know those will last a lifetime, especially the Land Cruiser. It's the last hand built Toyota model in their line up. It's no wonder everybody from ISIS to the U.N. swears by them. Sorry for rambling and thanks for reading.

Hey everybody,

Long-time lurker. First-time poster. I've never been much of a forum guy mainly because I don't have the time to browse, but after experiencing the first round of recalls, I came across this website it's been a very helpful community so I thank you all for the content. I'll try to be thorough with my experience to help out other owners.

I have a 2014 Sierra Reg. Cab SLE with the 5.3. It currently has 110,00 miles and still ticking. It's my daily driver and I plan on running it into the ground. I purchased the truck for 40k brand new in the summer of 2014. This is my first truck since my old '88 GMC I had back in highschool.

For recalls I've had two recalls on the seatbelt tensioner. A recall on the airbags not deploying. Then there was a recall on that airbag recall because the updated software didn't fix the problem the first time. Finally I've had a recall on the trailer hitch having a bad weld. These were all before 50k miles.

I've had the radiator replaced before 50k. A cylinder misfire around 80k. I've replaced the bulbs for the headlights because they're pretty much like candles up front and I noticed the dampening system for the tailgate doesn't work as well as it used to.

Other than that, this truck has been reliable. I've shared similar complaints of other owners for this generation (HD radio can't keep a signal, lethargic power delivery, shaking around 70 mph, clunky transmission, very stiff suspension with the Z71 package). Those issues haven't kept me making it from point A to point B so I've learned accept them as part of the ownership experience.

Despite that being said, this truck is a disappointment from a price stand point. For the money, I expect much more in terms of build quality. After 3-4 years of ownership and 110k miles of highway driving, the amount of rust underneath is depressing. I live in the northeast so road salt is an issue, but I've owned used vehicles with less rust. I take very good care of all my vehicles, but I feel like this one is a losing battle. The interior door panels are starting to come off, the steering wheel has wear and tear and is starting to fade. The stitching on the steering wheel and dash is coming undone. I just expected more for the price.

Would I buy again? I don't know. I mostly haul things in the bed, not tow and I travel long distances. I need reliability above anything else. Value is big too. 40k can get you a lot of car from different manufacturers. I've look at Fords and the transmission issues I've read about in their other vehicles scare me away. The Ram, especially the EcoDiesel sounded very appealing at first, but after checking the Ram forums they sound much worse off than us.

That leaves Toyota and Nissan. I appreciate the Ridgeline for what it is, but the bed is too shallow. A bunch of my co-workers have Tundras. They've tried every other manufacturer out their and have now settled on Toyotas. Toyota might be the way to go. Someone on here mentioned a Lexus LX or a Toyota Land Cruiser. I know those will last a lifetime, especially the Land Cruiser. It's the last hand built Toyota model in their line up. It's no wonder everybody from ISIS to the U.N. swears by them. Sorry for rambling and thanks for reading.

Thanks for the reply, especially the last paragraph. You just eased my mind on getting the Land Cruiser or Lexus variant. To be fair all vehicles have their issues, but this one has started to spiral out of control for me. Every month for the past 6 months, something has gone wrong and I swear that this transmission isn't going to last much longer.

This truck is like a gold digging woman. It looks so damn pretty but it will also do everything to empty your wallet. All I want is reliability and I guess I have to go to Toyota for that. It should've dawned on me sooner being that my mom has a 2004 Sequoia with 350k miles on it....

For those with radiator issues, would there ever be a warning light or other indicator? My truck's engine temp has always ran a little high when running at high revs for an extended period of time (like uphill highway driving, it sustains about 3K or so).

Thanks for the reply, especially the last paragraph. You just eased my mind on getting the Land Cruiser or Lexus variant. To be fair all vehicles have their issues, but this one has started to spiral out of control for me. Every month for the past 6 months, something has gone wrong and I swear that this transmission isn't going to last much longer.

This truck is like a gold digging woman. It looks so damn pretty but it will also do everything to empty your wallet. All I want is reliability and I guess I have to go to Toyota for that. It should've dawned on me sooner being that my mom has a 2004 Sequoia with 350k miles on it....

I really like the Toyota Tundra, but the gas mileage is the worst out of all the trucks. Toyota leads in car gas milage, so I just don't understand why they can't manage it better for their trucks when other truck manufactures can. If the Tundra can eventually get what my Silverado gets in gas mileage, then I will trade in a heartbeat.