How many miles are on your 2014+

I had a transmission shop do the work. Just had a heart stent done with 2 more to go, (because of only 1 kidney), so I'm not able to do the work myself right now.

This new cooler & the existing cooler are run in tandem. Were the tubing was cut, it was flared for a proper seal with the clamp. small, angle shaped aluminum strips were used to mount the cooler away from the radiator so road dirt doesn't get packed between it & the radiator over time.

I was expecting to see a dramatic drop in trans oil temp but such is not the case. There is a bypass valve in the factory trans line that bypasses the factory cooler until the fluid temp reaches a certain temp. The added cooler keeps the fluid temp down for a very long time. the normal operating temp on mine used to be 196° after a few miles of driving, but now keeps it much lower, much longer. I can drive 30 miles & the temp is still below 190°. The temp eventually does get into the 190° range, but even when it hits 194° in stop & go traffic, that is just temporary as it drops back down once you get moving again, something it has never done before. I haven't towed yet with this cooler on, but my guess is that it will not allow the trans oil temps to go up to the 205° range while driving or even the 228° it got to at one point as I was maneuvering & parking the 6K pound trailer. It will probably keep the trans oil temp below 200° now.

They did drop the pan & change the filter.

A lot more piece of mind!

Edited by ata3001
  • Like 1

I have a 2014 CC LTZ with 73,700 miles. Really love the interior on this thing. Bought it used with 60k, and going by the carfax it doesn't LOOK like there were any problems. I recently took the truck in for the harsh downshifts and dealer said it was the throttle body and they replaced it. The problems is still there and there's a clunk/jolt when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. Just had the transmission fluid changed also. Other than the transmission it's a great truck!

Bought mine used last year with about 50K on it, close to 60K now. I have noticed the same thing in my truck! Sometimes in between shifts it feel like it hesitates and I'll get the clunks every now and then. The dealership I bought it from gave me a lifetime warranty on the powertrain so I just need to find the time to take it in.

Bought mine used last year with about 50K on it, close to 60K now. I have noticed the same thing in my truck! Sometimes in between shifts it feel like it hesitates and I'll get the clunks every now and then. The dealership I bought it from gave me a lifetime warranty on the powertrain so I just need to find the time to take it in.

The dealer I bought it from gave me lifetime warranty on all lubricated parts in the engine. Some days the truck runs as smooth as ever, but then there are days where it's looking like it's days are coming to an end. I'm at 74k now and when it gets to 75k I'll take it in for the 75k maintenance interval and leave it with them to see if they can figure it out.

2014 with 66k miles. Bought it new in Aug of '14. Truck has been doing pretty well, but I do a lot of preventative maintenance. History of my truck's issues below.

1- When new I had a slew of recalls done (as we all did). Dealers were slammed and it was a PITA. I could only get them to do one recall per visit. Got passed that.

2- At 16k the RR axle seal let loose and I had gear oil flying around. Dealer fixed it. It's always had a seeping leak that comes back. Dealer refuses to fix it. I'm living with it for now... I know it's going to let go at some point. Betting there is a bur on the axle. I'm planning on doing this repair myself.

3- Battery lasted exactly 24 or 26 months. Hey it's FL.

4- Passenger bucket seat makes some racket when nobody is in it. I traced it down to just noise in the tracks. Solution is I put my computer bag in the front vs the rear.

5- Around 35k I took it in for engine oil leaks. Dealer did fix them all and they are still good. There is a VTec cover above the harmonic balance. Both mine and my co-workers were wet with oil and we work on job sites so the dust stuck to them. Very obvious leak on this plate. Dealer re-sealed mine. Bone dry today. Apparently They pulled my Tcase and transmission out. I had oil leaking from the bell housing. Which the dealer told me is a slightly popular issue on some 14's and the fix is remove the flywheel and put sealant on the crankshaft bolts. Not thrilled my new truck had to have the power-train removed at 35k. The dealer and tech did do a good job from what I saw. I did not rush them and i stopped by and saw my trans out and they showed me the flywheel bolts etc. The exhaust manifold bolts all snapped off. So when I got the truck back I removed the nuts on both y-pipe to manifolds and coated the crap out of them with anti-seize.

6- About three months ago my truck stopped honking the horn when locking it. I have a bad feeling one of the rear door lock actuators is on it's last leg.

7- Stock SRA's lasted 53k and I still had 5/32" on them but they were stupid dangerous in the rain.

8- The dash/Info system has re-set itself twice, early in it's life. I believe the dealer did some updates and I've been good for over 18 months.

9- Frame rust. Very ticked off how crappy the frame coating is. I did all my own frame rust repairs within a few months of owning the truck. 2yrs later no rust. I was wiping rust areas down with mineral spirirts to remove that wax crap and then would spray the frame with Rustoleum commercial flat black enamel. My repairs put the rest of the frame coating to shame.

10- I bought and installed the $8 AC compressor line bracket outlined in a TSB. No AC issues ever on my truck.

11- Coolant. Not sure why, but my truck's reservoir seems to loose coolant. Slowly. Maybe 1/4" low per oil change of 7k miles. I cannot find a coolant leak for the life of me.

12- I have the 3.42 gears and the 6spd trans. The transmission is very sluggish and slow to react in rush our traffic. I get run all over the farm being most people are driving snappy Lexus and Infinity cars. The only alternative is I have to hammer the gas and drive like an a-hole. More recently I've realized that putting it in M4 or M5 in rush our has fixed 95% of my transmission complaints.

13- Pretty sure the rear rotors are warped. Brake pad life is awesome... I still have at least 50% of my pads left. If not more. Pretty disappointed the rear rotors are warped with my relatively conservative braking.

14- Gas pedal Flex. I created the post 2+yrs ago about putting a paint stick behind the pedal assembly. Problem fixed.

15- My truck has a slight vibration, sometimes, at speeds over 77mph. I'm lucky it's not a bad one like some people. Mine is very Liv-able.

I've changed all fluids and flushed the brake fluid out to DOT 4. My trucks fluids are very clean. I even did a coolant filter and external HD style Trans filter. And I did a ADD W1 catch can. Those 3 mods should of been done the day I brought the truck home! Overall I like the truck, especially the looks and interior. I don't think I would buy a 1st year production run again on something that is "all new". The new F150 has it's fair share of issues being such a new truck but I give Ford props for pushing the envelope with that truck from engines to the aluminum body. I've owned turbo supras and turbo BMW's.... always ends in a disaster. I wanted the 5.3L for simplicity sake. If I bought right now, it would be my exact truck, but would opt for the 6.2L and the Max trailer pkg. And since the refresh I now like the Sierra over the silverado. I like the Ford 3.5L Ecoboost on paper, but I'm not fond of the interior design or all the gadgets under the hood.

Edited by FL335i

• 5 years later...

I’m at 130k, got the truck at around 36k or so.

Part Failures:

Rear driver door lock failed

AC Condenser failed

AC Compressor failed

Fuel pump died (but around the mileage they tend to die at)

Maintenance items:
new front brakes pads around 100k

replaced rear brake pads, but old ones still had a lot of meat

New Tires (had new ones when bought on it)

Replaced brake fluid recently 

Lots of oil and filters Changed at least once a year if not more, always use Mobil 1 5w30 (Once used Valvoline, but noticed it was in worse shape when drained)

New Air filter

new cabin air filter

Two Batteries 

Pretty solid so far, not too tempting to upgrade as the trucks are just getting uglier each year imho

Edit: Oh yeah replaced the horn once, and maybe a brake light bulb and a turn signal light bulb

Edited by awright2009

155,000 Miles

post-161433-0-67497100-1490028302_thumb.jpg        IMG_0219.thumb.JPG.cdd4c7814059baebb481192c18f43798.JPG

Pinion seal and that plastic piece goes around the starter sealing off the bellhousing. It warped and drug on the ring gear making a nasty noise. That is the entire nonroutine maintenance

As the OEM considers 150K a legal  lifetime anything past this point IS routine. 

• Like 1

2018 Silverado Custom Crew Cab L83/6L80E.

Zero Mods- Well, I did trim the tabs off of the lower front air dam to add a bit of approach angle after tearing one side loose on the deer lease.

187,000 miles as of 5/31/22

Failures to date:

* Water pump about 50k

* Transmission at 97k (covered under extended warranty, cost me an xtra $1k to get a crate unit instead of LKQ, so got a 100k warranty with the replacement).

* Hail Damage at 120k, replaced roof panel and hood, PDR multiple other dents.

* Water Pump about 140k. Went ahead and replaced t-stat at the time.

* Rear brake pads at 175k.

*Transmission a week ago at 187k, barely under warranty, no warranty on crate unit but no cost either. On my own in 9k miles.

Maintenance:

Oil change every 6k with Valv full Syn 0-W20 and Puralator Boss filters.

Trans service at 50k mark, both times.

Air filters as needed, checked every oil change.

On my 4th set of Cooper Discoverer AT 275/55/60's.

This weekend she'll be getting new spark plugs and wires, and full service, including rear diff fluid change.

Only three things nagging at me now.

One is a slight engine temp fluctuation, floats between 207ish up to about 215ish on occasion at hwy speeds, suspect the grill shutters, looking into mod'ing them. Modified the shutter system last weekend. Took 2 long blades and 2 short blades from each side of the assembly, leaving only those necessary for the motor/linkage to function. Temp swings have disappeared, sits right on 207 now, and transmission cools down faster on the hwy than it used to.

Second is prolonging the life of these JMBX torque-converter failure-prone transmissions. Thinking of the pill flip mod and possible trans tune.

Third, it almost feels like I have a motor mount failing. Feels like a slight movement in the drive train somewhere when I start from a dead stop, like it's taking up slack before power is applied.

Surprisingly, I am happy with and love my truck. I'm sure I'd be a little more grumpy if I'd have been out of pocket for two transmissions at this point.

Edited by Jay Ratliff
Updated information
  • Like 1

My 2014 GMC Sierra SLE Double Cab is at around 112,700+ miles now. The truck was passed down to me in 2016 after being used as a work truck and was already driven about 70,000 miles. I still really love my truck, and it caries a little sentimental value due to its ties with my family, and I've made it a personal goal to keep it running. It's pretty much completely stock, I've never done any performance or tuning modifications.

As far as maintenance, shortly after ownership I changed the tires and brakes, and I've kept up on the usual routine oil changes, tire rotations, filters, etc (with a couple of recalls in between). The original battery also died during this time and I put in a brand new OEM one. In the first four years of ownership, I believe the only "real" problem I had with the truck was the constant 'Trailer Brake Control' warning that eventually went away. Then this happened:

- I was not happy with the stock Rancho Shocks anymore and they were pretty rotted out, so I replaced them with Bilstein 4600s all around. 

- At 95,700 miles (in late 2020 near Christmas) my Water Pump failed which also prompted the discovery of a leaking Radiator and Cooling Lines. Basically got a whole new cooling system and while I was at it I got a tune up. This was the first big repair I did on the truck. This happened literally a couple weeks after the shocks; was definitely not a cheap December!

- Also did spark plugs/wires shortly after the Radiator as well

- At 106,260 Miles (Oct. 2021) I replaced all of the headlight bulbs + turn signals after both on the passenger side died.

- At 108,434 Miles (ALSO near Christmas in late 2021) I had to replace the exhaust manifold bolts and gasket.

- At 111,811 Miles (May 2022) my radiator fans were on full blast during a trip to a concert and I had to replace a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor. This was the first check engine light I ever got on the truck.

All in all, it really has not been expensive to fix/maintain at all in the grand scheme of 6+ years of ownership (besides fuel costs I guess). It also seems to really like breaking around Christmas time apparently, haha.

But look, I won't lie and be biased, there are "quirks" this truck has that would frustrate most owners. It's not always rainbows and butterflies. It shudders, it shakes, it squeaks, it's very slow, the thermostat is wonky, the tailgate "sticks" when opened sometimes, the frame is covered in rust. But you know what, I love it!

I'm very happy with how this truck has aged over the years, the paint, interior, and overall fit and finish are still almost perfect, and I am almost always parked in direct sunlight. I'm still in love with how the K2s look, and personally I still love driving this thing around. Overall, very pleased with my ownership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2014 Sierra Crew Cab z71 SLT 5.3L.

211,000 miles as of 6/6/22 (Purchased in Dec 2014 with 26K)

Mods:

*CarPlay/AA

*Denali dash cluster

*HUD

*remote tailgate lock

*158 degree trans thermostat installed within the last couple of months

*Fox suspension all around

*Cylinder deactivation delete with OBD2 plug in tuner around 200k miles

*K&N washable cabin filter

*LED hedlights.

Failures to date:

* All front seat heaters went out and have been replaced

* Broken exhaust manifold bolts around 94K, covered under powertrain warranty

* Condenser around 110K, I paid half and GM covered the rest.

* Factory battery blew a cell early on, replaced with AGM battery

* Some grounding issues early on that I took care of.

* Thermostat swapped out due to occasional high fan issue

Maintenance:

*Oil changes at around the 5% life mark with Mobil 1 oil and filter.

*Trans flushed every 80k and dropped the pan and filter change at 200k. (I'm dumb and never realized there was a trans filter to change. Now I do)

*Rear end fluid at 200k

*Plugs at 100k then plugs again and wires at 200k

*Brake pads at 100k

*A couple of batteries and many filters

I am very happy with and love my truck. I think I got luck after hearing some of you guys stories on here. It's been a fairly maintenance free truck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2014 silverado 180k miles

mods

headlights

locking rear diff

8 inch display and rvc

heated seats

heated steering wheel

led fog lights

maintenance

oil at 35%

diffs and transfer case every 50k

transmission every 60k

failures

1 battery

vacuum pump

radiator

thermostat 3 times

driveshaft

shocks installed bilsteins at 70k

it is starting rust around the rear wheel wells, but all in all been a good truck. selling it to my son because they wouldnt give me nothing for trade in and i bought 2020 rst turbo 4

• Like 1

2015 SLT CC 231,****** miles  on 3rd trans. engine has been really good though, except for I have an exhaust smell in my cabin.  dealer that did the 1st trans swap says it was cracked manifold and/or gasket. I put headers on and have had it smoke tested and still have the smell at idle. Liked the truck so much I bought a 2019 2500HD with 66,000 miles on it.  Aside form the trans issue, it has been stellar. Even the interior has help up well. knock on wood....

trucks 2.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 2015 High Miler said:

2015 SLT CC 231,****** miles  on 3rd trans. engine has been really good though, except for I have an exhaust smell in my cabin.  dealer that did the 1st trans swap says it was cracked manifold and/or gasket. I put headers on and have had it smoke tested and still have the smell at idle. Liked the truck so much I bought a 2019 2500HD with 66,000 miles on it.  Aside form the trans issue, it has been stellar. Even the interior has help up well. knock on wood....

trucks 2.jpg

Any HPFP or injector issues on your truck?

None. its always had the tick that you can hear in the drive through at idle but no issues.  My vacuum pump is weak and needs changed.

I have repaired/replaced: 

2 transmissions, radiator due to tank crack, 4x4 was locked on shortly after I bought it but repaired at NC, brakes ay 144,000, and 4 sets of tires.  

Great truck, so they dont all suck.  Too many dont have that luck, though.

• Like 1