How many miles are on your 2014+

On 7/17/2022 at 7:17 AM, KARNUT said:

How often do you change your oil? What’s your brand? That would probably be useful info especially making it past 150K miles.

Oil was changed according to DIC.  Have used 0-20 Edge since I got the truck with 52k on it.  

I'm due for an oil change now and I'm at 278k 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bullet225ho said:

Oil was changed according to DIC.  Have used 0-20 Edge since I got the truck with 52k on it.  

I'm due for an oil change now and I'm at 278k 

My  last GM that was a cylinder deactivation vehicle oil change light would come on at  about 7500 miles. Your experience is the opposite of what the oil change (experts) claim you need to do for longevity. I still believe the failures of some cylinder deactivation engines is more to do with part failure not oil failure. The only Chevy truck owner besides myself I know went extended with Amsoil. At 200K he traded his in for a Raptor. He turned his off like I did. There’s really no magic bullet other than luck with these Frankenstein engines. My preference would be lose the 1-2 miles per gallon and all the hardware associated with cylinder deactivation. The people who will be the most affected  by all this will be the second and third owners. Who can afford it the least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My  last GM that was a cylinder deactivation vehicle oil change light would come on at  about 7500 miles. Your experience is the opposite of what the oil change (experts) claim you need to do for longevity. I still believe the failures of some cylinder deactivation engines is more to do with part failure not oil failure. The only Chevy truck owner besides myself I know went extended with Amsoil. At 200K he traded his in for a Raptor. He turned his off like I did. There’s really no magic bullet other than luck with these Frankenstein engines. My preference would be lose the 1-2 miles per gallon and all the hardware associated with cylinder deactivation. The people who will be the most affected  by all this will be the second and third owners. Who can afford it the least. 

The Frankenstein engines are fine. With the exception of a very small failure population, most don’t have problems. My local dealer has yet to I do a single lifter replacement, ever. 

How many miles are on your K2, and when did it apparently fail?

No one cares about second or third owners, either. It’s a fallacy that automakers care about longevity; they care about about warranty periods. My first K2 was a horrible lemon, but the second is a fabulously reliable machine. 100k miles and 25% into my expected longevity of the truck, on stock components. 

Edited by 16LT4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 16LT4 said:

The Frankenstein engines are fine. With the exception of a very small failure population, most don’t have problems. My local dealer has yet to I do a single lifter replacement, ever. 

How many miles are on your K2, and when did it apparently fail?

No one cares about second or third owners, either. It’s a fallacy that automakers care about longevity; they care about about warranty periods. My first K2 was a horrible lemon, but the second is a fabulously reliable machine. 100k miles and 25% into my expected longevity of the truck, on stock components. 

There’s only a few years that GM trucks were considered least reliable 2012-2018. Just for fun type in your browser least reliable GM trucks. All trucks have problems. Why add more components to fail for very little gain? Thus my problem with cylinder deactivation. 

• Like 1

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2020/12/consumer-reports-2021-least-reliable-full-size-trucks/

5. Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra

At the top of our least reliable list are the full-size GM twins, the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. Consumer Reports gave them the lowest grade possible pointing out problems with the transmission, brakes and in-car electronics (infotainment system) among other items.

I dug into this data and was surprised I couldn’t narrow down the specific problems and what exact transmission they were referring to. The video on this post lays out my research.

Don't see AFM on this list of top GM shortcomings. 🤔 Poor converter designs and fluid matching and a host of infotainment issues BUT not so much motor issues. How sad for those who read but half the story and sadder still for those that listen to it. 

• Like 2

What’s sad is cherry picking. I’ve searched for GMs cylinder deactivation problems there are many. It reminds me of people who talk politics. You can always find info to back up your claim. To omit that GM has-had problems with cylinder deactivation is disingenuous. And par for the course.

i sold my 2014 chev to my son with 170k miles on it and it is still going. i have 4 friends with 2021's and newer and all of them have had there trucks sit at the dealership for weeks because of lifter failures. i am believing the lifter problem is worse now than it was in the k2 trucks. my friends laughed at me when i bought a new chev with 2.7 turbo, time will tell who has the last laugh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, silveradosid said:

i sold my 2014 chev to my son with 170k miles on it and it is still going. i have 4 friends with 2021's and newer and all of them have had there trucks sit at the dealership for weeks because of lifter failures. i am believing the lifter problem is worse now than it was in the k2 trucks. my friends laughed at me when i bought a new chev with 2.7 turbo, time will tell who has the last laugh

I’m not a fan of boosted engines, but that 2.7 does seem much better on paper than the 5.3. Time will tell if it can go the distance; if it can, it makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

286K as of now.  Due for an oil change.  Just made two trips during month of Sept.  One over 3200 round trip from GA to NM for an elk hunt in Carson National Forest.   Truck was loaded down....probably actually over limit of truck.  Then one week after I got back I made another trip with the family to VA Beach 1100 mile round trip.  I keep dumping gas in her and changing oil.  I did make a tire change at about 280K.  went back to stock size BFG Trail Terrain tires.  MPG is now averaging 20mpg mixed... I do mostly interstate/divided highway driving.  

• Like 3

137,500 --- runs like new 

Deactivated the active fuel management

no problems other than the wheel speed sensor and the camera sensor

6 inch lift w/ 35's 

Edited by Heath7400

On 7/19/2022 at 5:42 AM, 15 Z71 said:

Has anyone had the 6 speed transmission make it past 120-150 thousand? Seems like most go out around that mileage. I'm at 95,000 starting to get nervous cause I will still be driving it around 120,000 or so.

mines got 137,500, I changed the filter and fluid at 120,000

Mine just recently passed 26,000 - slooow and steady, haha. I get an oil change around every 3000 miles (sometimes just due to the amount of time that has passed, to get at least 1 change a year). Clearly I don't get to take my boat out nearly as often as I'd like! My biggest maintenance concern is rust, so our vehicles both get sprayed with oil coating every winter and I'm fastidious about touching up stone chips.

Now that my daughter is driving, she especially enjoys driving the truck when our grocery getter isn't available, so the mileage will accrue a little faster. My only complaint would be that the infotainment screen is particularly bright when used with the reverse camera at night... but admittedly it hasn't bothered me so much as to do anything about it, so it's a minor thing. 

• 2 months later...

51,500 when I fueled up yesterday.  Christmas weekend (Thursday - Tuesday), I drove down to San Diego (delivered stuff to & picked up MIL), back to my house, up to Bay Area (picked up my sister-in-law & a bunch of her stuff), back to my house for Christmas, and then down to San Diego and back (took MIL/SIL home & all of SIL's stuff that we had brought down from the Bay Area). 

On 3/30/2017 at 3:33 AM, LongrangeLauber said:

I'm rolling up on 75k hard miles myself. Few issues along the way but everything got worked out. I had a range unit at first but put a tuner on about 30k miles ago and the truck has ran better than ever honestly. Trans feels good, engine runs strong. Just be sure you get those driveline fluids all replaced, the 100k miles interval is BS, everything has been changed at least twice on my truck so far