2014 sierra 5.3 smells like propane

Hello. I have a 2014 5.3 4x4 30k miles and have a smell of propane off and on when driving. It does it everytime I drive and you get whiffs of the smell. Of course the dealer cant get it to smell and my warranty is out in 2 weeks. Any ideas would be great. Thank you

Are you flooring it before you notice the smell? In Toyota vehicles, they will often smell like eggs after driving in a spirited fashion. Something to do with dumping gas in the cat or something.

I haven't experienced this in my Chevy, but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The smell is on the outside coming in. It was first noticed when i was towing my weekend warrior so wasnt floring it but it was under a load. Now it just doesbit all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to keep an eye on this thread as I started having the same issue two weeks ago and thought I was going crazy or it was a truck around me, surrounding industrial plant, but this peaked my interest

They had the truck for a week and couldnt get it to duplicate the smell. I havent driven it much since i got it back but im sure it will still happen.

• 1 year later...

My Chevy 2017 tahoe (25,000 miles) smelled of propane after driving a short distance , after months of searching. Its was coming from the differentials, believe it or not. So far the dealer at this time has no repair, but is researching it. (I was the one who finally found it), when I showed it the dealer.

On 4/19/2017 at 4:56 PM, Bstith03 said:

Hello. I have a 2014 5.3 4x4 30k miles and have a smell of propane off and on when driving. It does it everytime I drive and you get whiffs of the smell. Of course the dealer cant get it to smell and my warranty is out in 2 weeks. Any ideas would be great. Thank you

Try switching fuels from whatever your running currently.  If it’s e10, then run ethanol free for a few tanks and vise-versa.  It also may be the station you are getting your fuel from...try a different station for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

I found my propane smell, and fixed it. Coming from the front differential vent. I changed the fluid, rerouted the vent line to the rear of the vehicle up by the gas cap door and installed a inline gas fliter. Smell has disappear. Sound crazy, but its gone thank god.