Adding Performace to the Silverado/Sierra

Blackbear tune should be your first mod. Period. Pair this with E85 if your truck is flex fuel and there are no other mods with as much improvement in performance AND drivability unless you spend the big bucks.

K&N open style air intakes are likely hurting performance regardless of mfg. claims or tests done on private dynos with the hood up and a giant fan blowing on the front. The issue lies with IATs (intake air temperatures). There is a reason OEMs trap air filters in an enclosed box with a tube going to the fender or grille or have a true cold (read: OUTSIDE the engine bay) air intake (like 98-02 Camaro SS).

Since the LS1, GM has generally included relatively high compression ratios in the small block. They are able to get away with 10:1+ ratios because of ECMs that auto-trim back the timing and other parameters when potentially damaging environments appear. High IATs are one of them. I haven't scanned my truck tune yet, but on my Camaro, GTO and Corvette, right around 86 degrees F of air intake temperature, the ECM will start dialing back timing. A few degrees more you're at -3 or more degs of timing. That can be about 3-5HP per degree of timing on an average engine. You can adjust the tune to compensate, and there is some wiggle room, but generally all you're are doing is inviting engine damage. Hot air doesn't make power. It breaks stuff.

"CAI" is one of the most misleading terms in the hotrod world. True cold air comes from outside the sweltering engine bay. Most of them are really HAIs.

$.02c

I gained 2mpg and improved throttle response with a Air raid full kit. The box is open but the fresh air gets forced in through a duct the bottom of the box from under the truck.

If you think it's snake oil save your cash. I know I got some improvement and was very pleased. I wasn't expecting much at all after reading a bunch of posts like yours.

No offense intended.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

THIS.

most CAI's are crap and will lose power over the stocker. the stock "CAI" on vehicles nowadays are very well designed and made to achieve the most mpg and power from them. no sense in swapping it out unless your going for looks

I did for looks and had a pleasant increase of 2mpg and improved throttle response. Not to mention the nice growl around 2500rpm. Dead silent unless you get on the pedal.

Air Raid full kit FTW

Dont drink the kool aid. CAI's work espcially if you are doing other things like headers, high flow cats, cat-back exaust.

The better you engine can breath the more efficient it is.

I have the 6.2 engine so that could be why i had such a good experience.

I have K&N Nighthawk under my hood. I wouldn't get rid of it - I never pop the hood so nobody even knows I have one..

Its just that sounds that a V8 should have... and you can totally control it. Like ^ he said - it's dead silent unless you gas it.

My MPG did not go up or down.

• 3 weeks later...

I kept the stock airbox. Dropped a k&n air filter in so it still draws from outside the fender. I then added an airaid tube and I can tell a very noticeable difference in throttle response and it pulls harder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back to the OP's original question here are my mods that are all getting put on next week dont want to retype here is the list.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/201866-2017-Denali-1500-tune,headers,cat-back,cai

I was thinking about adding a borla exhaust. Are you satisfied?

To those wondering. I have gotten nothing BUT performance increase from my K&N cold air intake. I've gained about two more miles to the gallon, and like others say there's nothing like the growl at 2500 Rpms. I can also definetly feel that it has more pep in its step.

I was thinking about adding a borla exhaust. Are you satisfied?

To those wondering. I have gotten nothing BUT performance increase from my K&N cold air intake. I've gained about two more miles to the gallon, and like others say there's nothing like the growl at 2500 Rpms. I can also definetly feel that it has more pep in its step.

I love the borla. It was perfect for me. I was trying to be on the conservative side with loudness the touring model is the least loud. I also have headers and hi flow cats that increases the volume. Me personally i would not want anything louder. It roars on a cold start and when I get on it and normal driving you almost wouldnt know it was there and probally wont. Most of my slight cabin noise is from the headers and i like it. The flapper valve that stops v4 drone works perfectly even with headers it is hardly noticible. That is the advantage with the borla.

I went the solid but inexpensive route. I have worked with Spectre products for years. They aren't as fancy on their CAIs as some of the others but for 152 bucks on Amazon its definitely good bang for the buck. Love the sound and have seen a small but noticeable MPG gain.

post-174281-0-81861600-1498538814.jpg

I have some week old doug Thorley headers for the 5.3 for sale if your looking to go that direction with performance mods. Pm me

Don't know if I'm getting headers yet. My next big expense will probably be a borla exhaust system. But thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some week old doug Thorley headers for the 5.3 for sale if your looking to go that direction with performance mods. Pm me

Don't know if I'm getting headers yet. My next big expense will probably be a borla exhaust system. But thanks.

From some other reviews of the borla touring from people who do not have headers they say it is just slightly louder than stock without headers. You may want to move up to the sport if you don't plan on installing headers or the attack if you want really loud.

Are you long tube? If so what dimensions? Got cats to go with?

Also why did you decide to remove them?

Archived