Originally mine was blowing warm air at about 53K and took it in to get it serviced - that lasted less than an day and started me down the "rabbit-hole"...

I had mine replaced in March on my 2014 Sierra  - it looks totally different from the original one - has some sort of heat shield.

Are there any plans for GM to reimburse anyone for the repairs? 

I got out of there for $700.00 - they stated that the higher cost was due to having to remove part of the front end?

They submitted through some GM Customer Service program that "assists" with these type off issues.......

It was still very painful to the pocket book!

updated_AC.JPG

Edited by johnnymordoc

1 hour ago, johnnymordoc said:

Originally mine was blowing warm air at about 53K and took it in to get it serviced - that lasted less than an day and started me down the "rabbit-hole"...

I had mine replaced in March on my 2014 Sierra  - it looks totally different from the original one - has some sort of heat shield.

Are there any plans for GM to reimburse anyone for the repairs? 

I got out of there for $700.00 - they stated that the higher cost was due to having to remove part of the front end?

They submitted through some GM Customer Service program that "assists" with these type off issues.......

It was still very painful to the pocket book!

updated_AC.JPG

My '18 cooler looks just like that.  I'm assuming yours is still running r134a though where mine has the r1234yf.

5 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

There is nothing you can do. I have 91,000 on mine and it was the original unit. Ive read where some were brand new and replaced again after 6 months.. So I think I was lucky.

Mine went with only 2,089 miles on my truck.  I only had my truck a few months.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Cccmachine said:

Well add my wife's 2015 Denali to the list.

I also have a 2018 Silverado. Did gm change the design on this or do I still have the same POS condenser?

Look about 3 posts above this one.

GM believes the issue is due to thermal cycling (fatigue crack).  They’ve added a heat shield to the upper drivers side corner of the cooler.  This is actually covering part of the trans cooler area to reduce the temperature fluctuations of the area where the receiver is joined to the condenser.

Is this enough to eliminate the problem?  I don’t know, but I’m hoping so as that’s what my 2018 has.

You should also note that 2017+ trucks have a different refrigerant in them that is much better for the environment, BUT it costs about 10x as much as the previous refrigerant.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2019 at 12:57 PM, ksiesel said:

Look about 3 posts above this one.

GM believes the issue is due to thermal cycling (fatigue crack).  They’ve added a heat shield to the upper drivers side corner of the cooler.  This is actually covering part of the trans cooler area to reduce the temperature fluctuations of the area where the receiver is joined to the condenser.

Is this enough to eliminate the problem?  I don’t know, but I’m hoping so as that’s what my 2018 has.

You should also note that 2017+ trucks have a different refrigerant in them that is much better for the environment, BUT it costs about 10x as much as the previous refrigerant.

My condenser on my 2015 LTZ went out summer of 2017 I believe it was.  This was about when condensers first started failing as the new and improved version was on National backorder.  I had to wait about two months for  replacement to arrive.  However, truck was under warranty and was provided a loaner while waiting.  Good news I’ve had no issues since.  Just goo cold air.  In fact, checked temp at center vent the other day when temp was above 90.  And was getting about 41 ~ 42 degrees which is about right on spec.  Only car in the fam that does better is wifes 2017 BMW 430i which will putout about 39 degrees. 

4 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

Wow, you had a loaner for 2 months? Good for you rather than accepting the fact they wouldn't have the part and have your truck with no ac in the summer.

You know, I Read a lot of trash talk about bad/unethical dealers.  But, happy to say that hasn't been my experience.  I’ve been buying from the same dealer for about twenty years.  So, maybe there’s something to building relationships?  Seems to work for me.

• Like 1

For all of you guys who have replaced the condenser yourself, did you install new O-Rings in the AC lines at the bottom passenger side?

Do the new condensers come with them?

I put new ones on. Didnt wanna take a chance on it. New condenser did not come with them. But did come with trans cooler fittings and the stud for the ac lines. The 2 tiny gaskets were $21 my cost at the dealer.

4 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

I put new ones on. Didnt wanna take a chance on it. New condenser did not come with them. But did come with trans cooler fittings and the stud for the ac lines. The 2 tiny gaskets were $21 my cost at the dealer.

Did you go with an AC Delco/Gm brand Condenser or aftermarket?

I would assume the GM gaskets/O-rings will fit an aftermarket condenser.

I went aftermarket.  O'Reilly Auto Parts. Lifetime Warranty.  Total delivered was $133. It was almost exact fit. The plastics on the side of the condenser didnt fit 100% because the trans cooler fittings were a bit different in length sticking out of the side of the condenser. I just used a razor blade to trim them. Took an extra 2 mins. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RACERX7775 said:

I went aftermarket.  O'Reilly Auto Parts. Lifetime Warranty.  Total delivered was $133. It was almost exact fit. The plastics on the side of the condenser didnt fit 100% because the trans cooler fittings were a bit different in length sticking out of the side of the condenser. I just used a razor blade to trim them. Took an extra 2 mins. 

Thanks for the info Robert.

Seems there are several replacement options out there. Ranging from about $70 up to a factory GM unit for over $200

Average price for a big box auto parts store is about $140

I agree GM should warranty this much like the failing Radiators due to cycling Thermostat on the earlier '14 and '15 models.