10 minutes ago, MrFabulous said:

I am part of the way through my a/c system refresh. Not eligible for the recall and out of warranty I opted to take this on myself. I was able to track down a company that advertises upgraded components to address the OEM shortcomings. http://www.gpdtechtips.com/product-flyers.html The parts are available from Rock Auto and the price is reasonable. I figure I'll give them a shot, can't be any worse than factory. 

Looks really good. Looks like an OEM part should..

On 5/30/2019 at 10:17 AM, Sierra Dan said:

All i can say is my Air is colder than it has ever been since day 1, so I am actually very happy about the condenser choking! LOL

I think some Automakers skimp on the A/C charge somewhat to save every penny they can at the time of production.

What temp are you getting at one of the center vents?  Just curious. 

33 minutes ago, 300 Blackout said:

Is there any reason you can’t braze the joint to seal it without replacing the condenser?

Other than the JB weld fix one member has attempted, I wouldn't rely on it long term.

There are actually 3 joints where it connects to the round dryer.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:49 AM, Sierra Dan said:

49-50

You should be getting around 40 ~ 42 degrees.  Are you using an ac thermometer?  Looks like one used to take temp of a roast, only smaller.  You can buy one at most any auto store for about $10.   I have four cars in the fam and three, includes my Silverado. test in the above posted range. My wife’s 2017 BMW tests about 38 ~ 39.  Don’t know method you’re using or what you’re using to test but 49 ~ 50 isn’t very good.

1 minute ago, Snoringbear said:

You should be getting around 40 ~ 42 degrees.  Are you using an ac thermometer?  Looks like one used to take temp of a roast, only smaller.  You can buy one at most any auto store for about $10.   I have four cars in the fam and three, includes my Silverado. test in the above posted range. My wife’s 2017 BMW tests about 38 ~ 39.  Don’t know method you’re using or what you’re using to test but 49 ~ 50 isn’t very good.

I was not using an AC Thermometer Bear. All I had on me was an infrared RC engine thermometer.

I think my problem was testing too quickly and not letting it cool for several minutes or the thermometer was not accurate enough.

Temp was about 89 outside. I will go invest in one though based on your suggestion and report back.

All i know is that I have colder air now then i ever did before after the Condenser replacement.

On 5/2/2017 at 9:51 PM, thewhitestallion said:

I did not even try, I guess I could but from what I have seen here on the forums is that GM will offer to pay half. Even if they pay half it would be cheaper for me to fix it. I will try and give them a call tomorrow but I am not going to stress myself out about that.

$400 for the condenser and seals and probably about $30 or so in freon and about 4 hours of my time is what it will cost me to fix it.

Not true. I contacted GM and was denied reimbursement because "it was not repaired at a GM service center". I turned it over to the Ohio Attorney General's office and was denied by GM because "it is out of warranty". It is a known problem due to a faulty manufactured A/C condensor. A GM service tech told me GM will not recall the part since it is "not a safety issue" although they are well aware of the failures. There is currently a class action suit regarding this matter. 

Edited by Bayvalley
spelling

14 hours ago, TrueBlueSilverAdo said:

ANOTHER ONE BITS THE DUST

mine went out yesterday, dealer fixed it today for the low price of 1300... so glad I got the extended warranty. this year alone has paid for itself

$1300 is highway robbery for a $200 repair.

I can see why some refer to them as stealerships!  LOL

It's just amazing how one dealer charges $1300 and the other one across town only takes $795 out of your pocket.

Basically, they can charge what they want.

I just ordered a new condenser myself when I had this issue. I installed it myself. It's really simple. So far so good, 2 weeks going strong in this Houston heat with no issues. I have a pick of the old one. It was so thin it was impossible for me to repair. I fixed 1 leak and another popped up, so I replaced it and kept it in case of a recall?. The new condenser was only $110 on rockauto.

15614910785634620922081001686020.jpg

Edited by Sierra 14
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sierra 14 said:

I just ordered a new condenser myself when I had this issue. I installed it myself. It's really simple. So far so good, 2 weeks going strong in this Houston heat with no issues. I have a pick of the old one. It was so thin it was impossible for me to repair. I fixed 1 leak and another popped up, so I replaced it and kept it in case of a recall?. The new condenser was only $110 on rockauto.

15614910785634620922081001686020.jpg

Unfortunately it is not a safety issue so there will be no recall. Chalk it up to poor engineering and manufacturing.

ALL of the Early trucks/Suv's with bad Vacuum Pumps should be recalled and repaired 100% free to the customer, IMHO.

• Like 1

Thank you, I guess it will go in the scrap pile in my backyard next to to my house condenser. ?. One day I'll get to that stuff to recycle.?

Edited by Sierra 14
Trying to delete

9 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Unfortunately it is not a safety issue so there will be no recall. Chalk it up to poor engineering and manufacturing.

ALL of the Early trucks/Suv's with bad Vacuum Pumps should be recalled and repaired 100% free to the customer, IMHO.

Thank you, I guess it will go in the scrap pile in my backyard next to to my house condenser. ?. One day I'll get to that stuff to recycle.?

Edited by Sierra 14