1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

So about that warranty lol...

Not that i won't eventually get this settled and fixed right but any chance we have any gm techs here on the board that could tell me why when i looked into the front grill at my ac condenser that my dealer stated they replaced, that i see what looks like a large piece of silver tape in the upper right hand corner, the tape like hvac people use to seal around sheet metal ducts? I am really thinking my dealer fixed my condenser with tape, yes i said that correctly tape!

Now if that's the case i have the evidence on my condenser currently and paperwork that states very clearly that the condenser was bad and replaced. To me this now becomes a case of fraud that the dealer is committing towards the manufacture. Im am trying to call other dealers and ac repair shops to get a little more info to see if this is common practice or if gm has a bulletin stating to try and fix it this way, still though as i said the paper work clearly states it was replaced.

I would like a little more info before i call said dealer and unleash a campaign of scorched freaking earth on them!

I am a GM Tech. Lol. The problem with the condensers is the weld. The heat from the transmission causes thermal cycling on the combination transmission fluid/oil and AC condenser cooler creates a crack.

The tape... Lol Just as you guessed is... (drum roll) THERMAL TAPE!

What it does is transfer the heat from the weld and doesn't allow it to crack. (even though I have replaced the one's with tape leaking in the same place.)

Hope this helps.

36 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

How could a piece of tape with a size of 2" x 4"  only placed in the upper right hand corner that also doesn't look factory and has about a 1/4"-1/2" on the edge of the condenser which looks like it is trying to seal something up be a heat shield. I also talked to two separate dealer parts departments and both stated the condenser does not come with any kind of tape on it. Are you positive this is a heat shield, can anyone else on here please look at your condenser since we have many that have had dealers replace them look to see if yours is the same.

Not saying your wrong but im just not convinced the way this looks that is like this from factory.

edit...

Check that, i just seen your comment to look back, thanks for the info but this looks like one half arsed fix to be honest, literally looks to me like they just slapped a piece of tape on it and said fixed. In any case at least i know that this was not some patch job my dealer did, it is a patch job that gm did unfortunately.

Glad i looked into this before i made an ass out of myself at the service department haha.:jester:

See above post.

Edit If you go to the 7:37 min part of this video you can see the tape on the right side of the condenser where I am installing it.

Edited by carnau

That’s funny, I got a 29 year old truck with the original AC in it. I just did the R-12- to new Freon last year. Don’t make them like they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

That’s funny, I got a 29 year old truck with the original AC in it. I just did the R-12- to new Freon last year. Don’t make them like they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 85 has everything factory but the compressor. When I changed the motor to a 383 I updated the ac compressor and retrofit the 134.

• Like 1

The replacement takes more than an hour especially if you pull a vacuum and recharge.

The factory tape band aid is what it.

IMHO aftermarket condensers are made much better than the OEM units.

I think I’m n the same boat as all of y’all, as my 2014 Silverado crew cab LT AC just took crap it’s blowing warm/hot air haven’t looked under the hood as it was hot af in traffic that’s the last thing I wanna do right now is look under the hood. Anybody near Dallas get it fix if so how much? 

I usually do. But yes lesson learned. The new condenser doesnt have that thermal tape so I guess fwiw I'll put a piece where the above pic shows. Man this truck has been a money pit since I bought. Last month it was the high pressure fuel pump leaking. That was $1300!

4 minutes ago, mchnhd4 said:

I usually do. But yes lesson learned. The new condenser doesnt have that thermal tape so I guess fwiw I'll put a piece where the above pic shows. Man this truck has been a money pit since I bought. Last month it was the high pressure fuel pump leaking. That was $1300!

Same here man, bought the truck next thing you know a afm lifter collapsed so I did a dod/afm delete then a tune. Now the AC just took a crap

so I’m it’s hoping nothing major, will see as soon as I take it to get diagnosed 

21 hours ago, Frankielozano214 said:

Same here man, bought the truck next thing you know a afm lifter collapsed so I did a dod/afm delete then a tune. Now the AC just took a crap

so I’m it’s hoping nothing major, will see as soon as I take it to get diagnosed 

I'm really starting to think about selling my truck and just leasing from here on out, i don't think they are built to last anymore and i truly would rather spend 300 a month on a lease deal then 2 grand here, a grand there and 500 here trying to keep an older vehicle running.

• Like 1