3 hours ago, carnau said:

This isn't anything you can't do. IMO buy the condenser from the Dealership but ask for a 10% discount. Tell them that you're gonna buy one from autozone but you would rather give them the opportunity to sell you one but not at list price. They will jump all over it. They may not get the whole loaf of bread but at least they get a few slices. Next, If the condenser is damaged... do not install it. Period. I will Post the link to the new seals here tomorrow. About the vacuum and recharge. If you don't have access to it carry it to your local shop and ask them to vacuum and recharge it. We offer a 59.99 vac and charge with up to 1/2 a lb of freon. If it is a truck you will need about 1.5lbs freon and if it is a yukon or tahoe with rear air, you will need about 3. So they should give you the vac and charge plus the Freon cost which even with a markup should be less than $20 a lb for 134.

If you have access to shop air ( compressor and such ) you can buy this kit. https://amzn.to/2vqqmVi and vacuum the system yourself then use https://amzn.to/39xbGSS to charge it back up. That's 22oz's so it is actually perfect for the trucks (trucks hold 0.60kg ehich is 1.32lbs) 

When you're done at least you have a gauge kit in case you have problems in the future.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else I would be glad to help. I made the video so if there is anything you don't understand I would be glad to answer it, or even take a video and explain it further.

Thanks for the response and information.  Certainly thanks for that video.  On of the best I have seen on repairing our trucks.  Gave it a big thumbs up.

A guy I work with directed me to someone he works with that had done a condenser repair on his wife's car on the side.  I talked with him about the problem and he is going to fix it for me tomorrow for $300, out the door.  Can't pass that up given the condenser part, vacuum and recharge costs totaled are that much.

20 hours ago, UofAZCats said:

Thanks for the response and information.  Certainly thanks for that video.  On of the best I have seen on repairing our trucks.  Gave it a big thumbs up.

A guy I work with directed me to someone he works with that had done a condenser repair on his wife's car on the side.  I talked with him about the problem and he is going to fix it for me tomorrow for $300, out the door.  Can't pass that up given the condenser part, vacuum and recharge costs totaled are that much.

That is a great price. Just make sure he does it right. I have seen people put stop leak in them and that will actually fix the problem. The problem is, in around 3-5000 miles your compressor clutch will burn off. And it will keep doing it till the system is flushed out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 11:58 AM, chris15706 said:

I caved and got it fixed at the dealer as i couldn't even find the condenser for r1234yf and didn't have the time to fix myself. $1700 and now i feel so dirty. :( If this was the regular r134a i would have been all over doing it myself since there is plenty info out there.

Brother that seems steep?

On 1/27/2020 at 10:52 AM, Yotaman said:

Just FYI when I had my done two weeks ago the entire bill was like 650-700 bucks from my local GMC dealer.

22R

I was quoted $900 at the local Chevy dealer. My local independent guy said $650. I realize I could DIY but, I just don't have the time or mostly the patience.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of folks with a bad condenser.  Truck is a 2014 with 81,000 miles.  It's at the dealer now and will be $900 to replace the condenser.  Does anyone know if the replacement unit is some kind of updated part that won't have this leak issue again?  I'm finding all kinds of information on the web talking about a support bracket and an updated hose from the condenser that caused the leak in the first place and I'm not really clear on what's going on.  The service rep at the dealer is clueless.

• 4 weeks later...

Add me to the list of AC Condenser Failures at the same weld joint to tank. I own a 2018 GMC Sierra that is 14 months old with 105,000 miles. I tried the AC the other day and it was not blowing cold I haven't used the A/C in close to 6 months. It is interesting to find out that a number of other owners are having the same problem. What I found out was that the original A/C Condenser was a part number 84632550 and of course the part has been replaced by 84621302 new design. Obviously this is a manufacturing defect and should have been cover by GMC under warranty or with a product support service letter. I can't imagine how many other owner got stuck with an $1,000.00 dollar bill for this same repair. If anyone knows if there is a class action suit or would like to be added to the list to start one please  reply. This is not right and needs to be corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add myself to the list of folks with this issue.  2015 with just over 32K miles on it (within warranty miles but outside the 3yrs).  Wednesday of last week lost my AC.  I looked through the grill and could see the leak on the condenser.  Was going to be $150 just to have the dealer look at, or $90 at a mechanic I've recently found and like.  Went with the local shop.  The $90 was applied to the $730 total for condenser replacement.  The PN on the invoice is WP 84496856.

Edited by malibu43

Changed my condenser a couple weeks ago.  My truck is 6 1/2 years old and I'm at 123k miles.  My A/C went out last summer and i figured out it was the condenser from the posts on here.  Made it until recently by dumping a can of freon in every couple of weeks but the leak got worse.  A can of freon would only last 3-4 days.  Anyone that has basic mechanical knowledge and a few hand tools can do it.  I watched a couple of YouTube videos and went for it.  Got the condenser (ACDelco Pro 15-63889on ebay for $140.  I spent another $30 on 2 cans of R134a, some refrigerant oil (PAG 46), and Dexron VI transmission fluid to top off the tranny as you lose a bit in the transmission cooler that is integral to the condenser.  It took me about 3 hours including the trip to O'Reilly to get the loaner vacuum pump and gauge set.  $170 and I've got cold air again!!!  

2015 here with 53k on the clock. Last week no AC out of the blue. Sure enough the condenser had a crack along the seam. Luckily I have the extended warranty. Labor rate is 175 an hour at the dealer here in FL so total was just over 1000.00. Glad I had the warranty that I paid 1400 for.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

How long does it usually take for your AC to start blowing cold air after you turn it on, let's say if your truck's been in the sun for a few hours?  I feel like it's not getting cold as fast as it used to after I turn the truck on and let it idle, but I honestly didn't pay that much attention to it before.  Cools fine once I'm moving, and it does eventually get cold when just idling, but can take 15-30 seconds depending on how hot it is outside and if it's been in the sun.  Is that normal?

... I'm paranoid about AC problems now...

11 hours ago, malibu43 said:

How long does it usually take for your AC to start blowing cold air after you turn it on, let's say if your truck's been in the sun for a few hours?  I feel like it's not getting cold as fast as it used to after I turn the truck on and let it idle, but I honestly didn't pay that much attention to it before.  Cools fine once I'm moving, and it does eventually get cold when just idling, but can take 15-30 seconds depending on how hot it is outside and if it's been in the sun.  Is that normal?

... I'm paranoid about AC problems now...

I had my condenser replaced a few years ago as a warranty repair.  And, as you I suffered from PCRS (post condenser repair syndrome).  So, went to local auto parts store and purchased an ac thermometer.  Looks like a miniature meat thermometer, costs about $10, stick it in a center vent.  If your AC is operating properly after driving a bit you should get a reading somewhere between 38 ~ 42 degrees.  On my Silverado I get a reading of about 40 when outside temp is mid to high 90’s (live in Dallas area).  Of the four family cars my wife’s BMW reads the best at 38.  Anyway, go buy a thermometer and put your anxiety to rest ?...

3 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

I had my condenser replaced a few years ago as a warranty repair.  And, as you I suffered from PCRS (post condenser repair syndrome).  So, went to local auto parts store and purchased an ac thermometer.  Looks like a miniature meat thermometer, costs about $10, stick it in a center vent.  If your AC is operating properly after driving a bit you should get a reading somewhere between 38 ~ 42 degrees.  On my Silverado I get a reading of about 40 when outside temp is mid to high 90’s (live in Dallas area).  Of the four family cars my wife’s BMW reads the best at 38.  Anyway, go buy a thermometer and put your anxiety to rest ?...

LOL.  Thanks.  My wife thinks I'm crazy to obsess over this stuff (maybe I am).  But at least I'm not the only one.  I'll look into the thermometer.  

What about when you start up and idle?  How long before the air gets cold?

5 minutes ago, malibu43 said:

LOL.  Thanks.  My wife thinks I'm crazy to obsess over this stuff (maybe I am).  But at least I'm not the only one.  I'll look into the thermometer.  

5 minutes ago, malibu43 said:

Well, there are some variables that may influence that;  temp, humidity, sunlight, and AC system design.  I can say though if your AC system is putting out cold air within 15 ~ 30 seconds after a “cold start” you should be a happy camper.  I rarely remote start my Silverado and let it idle except in winter but it will start putting out cold air after driving about 1/4 mile.  My wife used to own a 2008 Avalon that put out very cold air but it took about maybe three to five minutes for the ac to really get with it which is a long time when temp is 100+ in Texas. I think it had to do with the system being highly computerized/ automated, not sure though.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my condenser changed as DIY.....spent no more than 150 for everything needed to get my AC up and running again.....changing it is a bit of challenge but it was worth it to save at least another $700

Edited by TheGreatOne
  • Like 1