My condenser failed earlier this week. Well, it's been cool, so that is when I noticed it. 2014 with 48,000 miles. I called my regular dealer and was quoted $1,300-$1,500 to fix. No help offered from GM for my VIN number. Has anyone contacted a GM Customer Care group for help in the cost? I could replace it myself I imagine, but I'd rather have a pro do it.

• 3 weeks later...

funny i came across this.. .2016 gmc...85k... ac was leaking.. hot air.. fixed 2 leaks, and was told to keep an eye on the condenser.. ..well 1 week later hat just went out.. back to blowing warm~.. FML... 1200 fix~..

Edited by Crstfr

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, Crstfr said:

funny i came across this.. .2016 gmc...85k... ac was leaking.. hot air.. fixed 2 leaks, and was told to keep an eye on the condenser.. ..well 1 week later hat just went out.. back to blowing warm~.. FML... 1200 fix~..

Damm thats some luck. Hope ya get it sorted out

Yotaman

14 hours ago, Yotaman said:

Damm thats some luck. Hope ya get it sorted out

Yotaman

A friend of mine with a 2014 Silverado LT had his condenser go out.
Fortunately, it wasn't the evaporator.
He replaced it, with help, but didn't get the trans fluid line in properly.
The condenser install went well, a shop replaced the lost trans fluid, fixed the connection, and recharged the AC system.
It's been good for the last three months since the replacement.

Just made an appointment to get my AC fixed (2015 Sierra). AC went at 115K KM, I now have 127K KM. Assuming it's the condenser; is there a part number I should request to ensure I get the 're-engineered' condenser? Alternatively, any aftermarket condensers that are much better quality? I don't want this to happen again. Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...

When will the cash cow for the dealers ever end? 2014 Sierra with 78K miles - I have had to take my truck in to have the A/C fixed every year for the 3 years for the same issue. Is there not class action lawsuit I can join from California? First it was the faulty AC condenser - that was covered in 2015 trucks, not 2014. Then the pin hole in one of the lines an another $700.  A year later blowing hot air again - took it in and it was the same line they replace year before. Fortunately it was still covered under warranty. This year - blowing hot air again - take it in and they want to charge me to troubleshoot? Really? I complained and got that waived - only this time it is a rear discharge hose that was leaking.  They put dye in it and did see some traces on the firewall near the hose they replaced 2x already and changed it for no charge - another $650. In the last 3 years it has cost me almost $1000 a year for my AC. They could have completely serviced the system the first time for less!

Any resources in CA that can help?

Looking to trade it in and be done with it, while I stall can and the AC works.

Does anyone  know if the same issues have plagued the 2020's and above??

First thing they ask me is if I have the extended warranty - but does that not stop after 5 yrs?

Sorry to ramble - just need to vent.

I do not seeing myself as Dodge or Ford man - I have owned a Toyota Tacoma, but love my GMC trucks.

Help in CA.

JJ

• 4 weeks later...

Full disclosure - I did not read every comment in this almost 40-page thread so I apologize in advance but I'm on break at work right now and don't have that much time.  I did read the first page or so and then the last couple.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I gather is:  

• There was a design flaw in the a/c condenser that causes it to develop a leak
  • GM acknowledges that it's a flaw but doesn't replace it for free
  • It can cost up to $1400 at a dealer to get it replaced
  • Some have replaced it themselves but it's a 3-4 hour job (and a person likely needs some certain tools/equipment to properly install and charge it)

Did I miss anything?  

'15 LT CC Z71 here, 55,600 miles, a/c just stopped cooling properly...does this mean I likely have fallen victim to this, as well?  

What's the suggested course of action?  Dealer repair and try to get them to cover the cost? (Tips for this?? Any TSBs or whatever to tell them so they can help cover it?)  Or better to just buy the part and have a local private garage do the install for less than the dealership?  If this, what's the p/n of the updated version that remedies the issue from happening again?  

Thanks in advance!  I'm confident several of you in this thread have great knowledge to impart to me on this issue based on your own experience so I'm all ears (well, eyes...).  

Edited by 03msc

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well I'll follow-up on this.  Took it to the dealership this past Friday and it was, surprise, the condenser.  I went ahead and let them replace it.  A chunk of change I didn't want to pay but it is what it is.  He quoted me $1,180 but the final bill was $1,160.  With the way things go for me, I figured if I ordered the part myself and tried to put it on myself, it'd either arrive bent and be a long replacement process or I'd break something else in the process.  So, $1,162 poorer but I have ice cold a/c again.  Oh well.  

GM should really reimburse the costs or part of the costs for these...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having ac issues at 63k on a 2016.

Was 8 oz low on fluid( dye added- no leak) this was a week ago now yesterday seamed not very good ac again)

Between my transmission and a slew of other issues I'm tired of my " great trade in swap" I thought I did with my 2007 and want it backatleast the damn air worked and it shifted fine.

I'm really disappointed "again " with my ltz-z71 piece of garbage.

Never again...40k bucket of problems

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just did this job on a '16 Sierra. GM can't seem to get ANYTHING right these days. Can't say I'm surprised. I'm still dealing with low bidder junk parts on my '07 Silverado 1500 at 113k miles. Tranny failed at 103k. Rear end at 97k. The clunk that has been there since day 7 has become progressively louder over the years. Something tells me the source is about to reveal itself any day now ... :mad:

But back on topic ...

Customer wanted cheap, since this thing has been a money pit for him since the day he bought it (Gee, sounds familiar ... shocker!) - he traded it for a Ford (Not that they're any better). Used UAC brand from RockAuto. My opinion? STEER CLEAR! Chinese garbage! Took A LOT of bending and tweaking to get the piece of crap to fit right. I wasn't too happy during this install! 

Thankfully the job is done, A/C is ice cold, and this headache has moved on to someone else (Unfortunately for them).

The 21st Century automotive industry for ya.

spacer.png

2545-E202-713-C-4-DBB-8122-4-F5-B68-D5-C

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Add me, 2016 Serria Denali 60k no ac, but I moved from Maryland to South Carolina and didnt have the time to get it fixed and we made a few trips now have 67k. I bought used at 53k, had the trans flushed and updated at 54k. I'm thinking the dealer patched the Ac to get by. I've been adding refrigerant to get by. Like everyone says, Gm should be 100% responsible, I'm a Hvac tech and refrigerant leaks are a no no period, that's from the EPA. I guess that GM in Government Motors of China now that a known leak is ok and requires no attention, that's BS, because if I have a known leak on a system and I'm caught I'm fined. Well any way, this is crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

How many has had this fixed under warranty or used the updated part from GM and it has failed again ? Mine is still good but I am afraid the aluminum foil is not really gonna keep it from cracking again.

Yotaman

In my opinion, I'd rather fix it myself than have GM fix it for free using the same crap parts the vehicle came with. That, and the way they're screwing their techs today encourages speed over a quality job.

One day last month, my wife pulled into the garage from running some errands in her 2016 Tahoe, and mentioned that the AC wasn't cooling. I shined a light through the grill, and could see the oil spot on the condenser where they all fail. The local Chevrolet dealer estimated that it would cost between $1500-1600 for the repair, and the GMC dealer wouldn't give me an estimate.

The Tahoe had the extended coverage on the condenser, but it expired in July. I called GM and they said I'd have to take it to a dealer to have it diagnosed before they could talk about giving me some help on the repair.

I decided to have an independent shop I trust do the repair, and it cost me $1013. It would have been nice to know beforehand what GM would have done for me on the repair, but I decided to go the independent shop route to avoid what might have turned into a prolonged ordeal.

I have the same condenser on my 2015 Sierra, and if (when) it fails, I think I'm going to attempt to replace it myself. I'm fairly comfortable with replacing the condenser, but not so much with charging the system. I've watched quite a few videos, but still have a a few questions. But I'm also not comfortable paying another grand for the repair, so it might be time to learn.