Strange vehicle theft

So, my '16 Sierra got broken in to recently. I was parked at my house, it stays locked 100% of the time. I have no idea how the scoundrels got into the truck, no forced entry. I live in a gated "community"...a whopping 15 houses, half of whom live/stay elsewhere. We are on a local waterway and have a decnt amount of boat traffic.

No broken glass, no marks on the doors/paint. I thought these things had an alarm?? Wonder if someone was "fishing" and using some electronic device to get the key fob frequency...that's possible right?

It's a hit to my personal sense of security, and I'm a bit miffed. At least they didn't break the window.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, my '16 Sierra got broken in to recently. I was parked at my house, it stays locked 100% of the time. I have no idea how the scoundrels got into the truck, no forced entry. I live in a gated "community"...a whopping 15 houses, half of whom live/stay elsewhere. We are on a local waterway and have a decnt amount of boat traffic.

No broken glass, no marks on the doors/paint. I thought these things had an alarm?? Wonder if someone was "fishing" and using some electronic device to get the key fob frequency...that's possible right?

It's a hit to my personal sense of security, and I'm a bit miffed. At least they didn't break the window.

It is possible that they breached your OnStar application and successfully unlocked your truck. Might want to check those logs. It is also possible that they picked the lock, but that should have set off an alarm. It's the fact that you think your alarm didn't go off that leads me to believe they hacked either your alarm or key fob, but fob would be harder. If these "fisherman" hacked the app, they knew what they were doing. I can say it isn't hard to brute force a password and get into your account, but no stand joe blow is going to know how to do this.

*Sorry for the nerd post. 5+ yrs of InfoSec experience does this to you.

odd that thieves would take such care to not leave a mark.

Mind if I ask what was stolen? Did you have anything visible that they wanted, or was it random, a crime of opportunity?

I may be wrong, but I don't think your truck is sending out any "frequency" that they could read. The truck senses the signal put out by the key fob, and you have to "learn" each one to the truck. Don't know how many possible codes there are, but if they had a device to just shoot out all the codes, they could possibly unlock a door and just look to see whats inside? That would be fairly sophisticated for the average car thief, as Silver said.

Well, my guess of someone coming from the water...I ALWAYS, ALWAYS lock my truck. Regardless of where I'm at. I live in a gated community, but my truck is visible from the river. They stole my pistol, and $4...removed the tie downs and placed them next to the truck on the ground. Took everything from the center console, nothing is in open view, I have dark tint and keep a sun shield on the windshield. Mostly older folks in the neighborhood...no young relatives ever come by. I live in the very back, so get 1-2 vehicles a day drive past my truck. I've reported the pistol as stolen, cop came and took prints from the truck.

I was guessing maybe someone came from the water, as that's open to the public. But how did they enter the truck without the key/remote. I don't pay for onstar...does that matter?

I mean, all in all, they stole a $300 gun, didn't damage the vehicle...actually left the tie downs and the $400 mp3 player. Just more of a public service notice to everyone..let others know that apparently theives can breach the truck without setting off the alarm. Don't keep valuables in the truck.

Sorry to hear about the theft OffShore. A "scanner" device may have been used to intercept your key fob remote signal. Another thing to consider was your truck in for service recently? Read out in California that thieves had a dealer insider making keys and remotes so they could steal vehicle later. Certainly doesn't seem like amateurs at work unless the truck was unlocked.

I have walked outside my house and found a GFs car unlocked or with the trunk open because she accidentally pressed the remote while it was in her pocket

There are kits you can buy with small rubber bladders like a blood pressure cuff that can be placed at the top of a door and pumped up to create a crack large enough to fish the door lock button ...that's my guess as to how it was done quick and quiet. That info cost me $160 once when i locked my keys inside with no spare available.

There are kits you can buy with small rubber bladders like a blood pressure cuff that can be placed at the top of a door and pumped up to create a crack large enough to fish the door lock button ...that's my guess as to how it was done quick and quiet. That info cost me $160 once when i locked my keys inside with no spare available.

That's crazy Pearl...huh. Guess anything made for convenience can be used in illegal ways. Maybe it unlocked when the keys were in my pocket? Maybe. I doubt it did, but never know.

Lgetz- I still haven't brought the truck in for it's first service yet. Only shop its been to is the tint shop, and they just take cash...they don't have my name/address/anything.

The truck is visible from the river, so that's my guess...somebody came in a boat at night. Just odd that they took the box with the tie downs from the center console, then set them on the ground nearby. The box was sitting upright, closed...like someone looked in it, had no use for the tie downs, and set it down.

The cops told me they had over 400 firearm thefts from vehicles last year in my town. Town has 200-250,000 people. Not huge, but not small. Kinda alarming to me.

That would have sounded the alarm though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The two times my wife had her vehicles broken into was when she left the door unlocked (by accident). I even have video of the whole thing going down. First they tried my truck but it was locked so the immediately walked over to hers and tried it and winner, winner, chicken dinner they took their sweet time inside riffling through all her crap.

Are you 100% sure that they did not get inside your crib first and simply steal the spare keys? I would be wanting to put those spare keys in my hand like immediately and really be looking around my crib for other missing stuff.

Archived