Bilstein vs Fox

Ya, I'm going to be "that guy" who posts another thread about suspension. I did a search on the forum but wasn't able to come up with exactly what I was after.

I know many of you are running Bilstein 5100's as well as some of you are running Fox 2.0. What are the key differences between the two?

Also, I currently have a Zone 2" level on my truck. Would it be ok to leave that installed and run either Bilstein/Fox at "stock" position, or would I be better off removing the 2" level on the truck and setting these are the 2" mark?

I don't do any heavy off-roading or anything, just looking for an improved suspension on the truck (front and back). Truck is a 2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Standard Box.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ya, I'm going to be "that guy" who posts another thread about suspension. I did a search on the forum but wasn't able to come up with exactly what I was after.

I know many of you are running Bilstein 5100's as well as some of you are running Fox 2.0. What are the key differences between the two?

Also, I currently have a Zone 2" level on my truck. Would it be ok to leave that installed and run either Bilstein/Fox at "stock" position, or would I be better off removing the 2" level on the truck and setting these are the 2" mark?

I don't do any heavy off-roading or anything, just looking for an improved suspension on the truck (front and back). Truck is a 2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Standard Box.

Thanks for your assistance.

Both those shocks are going to make a stiffer ride, they are made to take bumps without giving.

You might be better off looking at ACDELCO if you want better performance and original ride quietly.

Only saying this because you said you don't off road hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SuperSierra
  • Like 1

They are both good products with good warranty's. If you plan on keeping your spacer from your level why not just get the Bilstein 4600? It is almost the same shock as the 5100 but non adjustable height. It will be a far superior ride to the OEM stock shock. I was told by Bilstein not to use a spacer with the shock as it was not designed for that. They recommend using the height adjustment on the shock. I have heard here on the forum that people have used them with a spacer though.

The Bilstein 5100 on the highest setting will ride stiffer than the Fox 2.0 because of the "pre load" on the spring.

The Fox 2.0's are a different valved shock and people on other forums who have swapped to them like them more than the 5100's. I imagine this is because the Fox 2.0 comes out of the box with a 2" lift and does not have that pre load on them. If you plan on going higher than 2" on the coilover the Fox 2.0 will also ride rough if you compress the spring to much trying to get the max lift out of the coilover.

I personally have had the Bilstein 5100's on the top setting for over a year now and have about 30,000 miles on them. I really like them a lot but I will say they are stiff on the front. I can see how some people do not like them. I hated how the stock suspension was so soft. I went with the bilstein 5100 adjustable because I wanted the level but I also wanted the correct amount of travel in the shock. A spacer with a stock shock will just prematurely bottom out the shock. I did not plan on doing as much off roading as I am now so I wish I would have just got the Fox 2.0's and I would have been happier. That being said I am taking off my bilstein 5100's and putting on Dirtking uniball control arms and Fox 2.5 remote reservoir DSC coilovers this week lol.

Either way you go your truck will ride much better with either option.

Edited by Alexantics
  • Like 2

They are both good products with good warranty's. If you plan on keeping your spacer from your level why not just get the Bilstein 4600? It is almost the same shock as the 5100 but non adjustable height. It will be a far superior ride to the OEM stock shock. I was told by Bilstein not to use a spacer with the shock as the it was not designed for that. They recommend using the height adjustment on the shock. I have heard here on the forum that people have used them with a spacer though.

The Bilstein 5100 on the highest setting will ride stiffer than the Fox 2.0 because of the "pre load" on the spring.

The Fox 2.0's are a different valved shock and people on other forums who have swapped to them like them more than the 5100's. I imagine this is because the Fox 2.0 comes out of the box with a 2" lift and does not have that pre load on them. If you plan on going going higher than 2" on the coilover the Fox 2.0 will also ride rough if you compress the spring to much trying to get the max lift out of the coilover.

I personally have had the Bilstein 5100's on the top setting for over a year now and have about 30,000 miles on them. I really like them a lot but I will say they are stiff on the front. I can see how some people do not like them. I hated how the stock suspension was so soft. I went with the bilstein 5100 adjustable because I wanted the level but I also wanted the correct amount of travel in the shock. A spacer with a stock shock will just prematurely bottom out the shock. I did not plan on doing as much off roading as I am now so I wish I would have just got the Fox 2.0's and I would have been happier. That being said I am taking off my bilstein 5100's and putting on Dirtking uniball control arms and Fox 2.5 remote reservoir DSC coilovers this week lol.

Either way you go your truck will ride much better with either option.

Thanks for the excellent info! When you say that Bilstein said not to use the spacer, was that for the 5100 or for the 4600 as well?

• Like 1

Thanks for the excellent info! When you say that Bilstein said not to use the spacer, was that for the 5100 or for the 4600 as well?

Good? I only asked about the 5100. I am not sure about the 4600... I would think that since the 4600 is the same dimensions as the stock shock it would be okay? When I called the (858)386-5900 number they were very helpful.

• Like 1

Many believe that upgrading to premium shock absorbers will give a vehicle a softer, smoother, and all-around better ride feel. While this may be the general consensus, in actuality ride quality is dependent on a number of factors and components other than just the type of shocks you have.

On one hand, a set of shocks that performs well on the highway wont handle off road terrain very well. Conversely, off road shocks wont perform at their peak on the highway.

Thus, while the fundamental intent of shocks is to improve your ride quality, shock absorbers serve a variety of purposes, so pinpoint what you are looking out of your vehicle, ride quietly on road, or ride quietly off road.

• Like 3

We have installed numerous sets of bilsteins and fox shocks here at the shop as well as quite a few other brands and i will say for the price point and warranty bilstein is the way to go they are an absolute night and day difference over the factory z71 shocks we often replace for and the warranty dept at Bilstein is top notch! I am by no means knocking the Fox Shocks becasue they truly make an excellent product as well.

Let me throw this in: I swapped my '16 Z71 for an identically equipped '16 2WD that lists Z60 ("High Performance") suspension.

Talk about a difference that can be described as night & day!

Like OP, I'm an on-road guy. Have to say I prefer my Z60. Now, I have no idea what that shock/suspension set up consists of. That info's not readily available. But it's good.

First, I have to disagree with Brandon about off road shocks necessarily riding rougher. Really high end off road shocks don't rely on simple stiff valving. They actually allow the tires to maintain contact better through bumps by letting the suspension move faster. Their valving is a very advanced progressive rate. The ride quality is very good. My King shocks feel very soft without being bouncy.

The difference between the Fox and Bilstein is the Fox is a specialty shock that is designed with the ability to customize it. Some versions can be had with adjustable valving and spring choices.

Apples and oranges

King, Coil over shocks, provide the highest level of performance damping and suspension control for your vehicle. ... They are used as a primary suspension member to carry the weight of the vehicle and to maintain ride height while providing the adjustable valving and high quality ride characteristics King is famous for.

He's not getting fox shocks with a bypass tube....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SuperSierra
  • Like 1

I keep intruding with slightly off-topic-but-still-related comments. Sorry.

There is a good bit of difference between the Bilstein 4600 and 5100. Both, IMHO, are better than the Rancho Z71 shock/setup.

Edited by Boardmember

I keep intruding with slightly off-topic-but-still-related comments. Sorry.

There is a good bit of difference between the Bilstein 4600 and 5100. Both, IMHO, are better than the Rancho Z71 shock/setup.

I only have an LT, so I'm sure the Rancho's would be better than what I have :lol: