Truck falls off lift at GMC

So our 2015 gmc denali dually falls off the lift at a dealership in Colorado. The owner wants to fix the truck at his service dept (drive shaft was punxtured) and take to his body shop. I in no way want this to happen and want to take it to a shop of my choice. He's refusing to turn it in on his insurance but if Im paying for rental out of pocket and have to pay to have it towed to mechanic shop and then to body shop and then back and then get him to approve estimates. But owner is already saying if I take it off lot then he doesn't know what I'm doing to the truck. I told him let me handle it with his insurance and he refuses. Also after all this is said and done I want diminshed value for cutting my rocker and flooring but how do I get that when he doesn't turn on his insurance. They dropped my truck but now I'm paying all these expenses. P.s a lawsuit would take over a year and I contacted GM they said he's independently owned and can't make him file insurance and they can't step in unless it's a warranty issue

Don't fall for that BS. Take a friend with you as witness and write down the details of time etc. Ask for the name of the owner of the dealership and the name of the company's insurance company because you want to file a formal claim against his insurance for the damages. If he refuses to provide the name, call the State Insurance Board and make a formal complaint against the dealership for failure to file a legitimate claim for your damages. They'll provide the name and address of his insurance company. And once they get wind of his attitude, refusal to file the claim and missing the filing deadline period, they'll really screw him with a rate increase and may even drop his a$$ after settlement.

Either way the insurance company will settle the claim at a repair shop of your choice which should include diminished value.

• Like 6

I would let them handle it. Doesn't make sense for the dealer to turn it in to his insurance if they can handle all the repairs in house. There wouldn't be diminished value if not going through insurance or GM. I'm sure they would give a warranty for their work on their repairs and provide a loaner. I really don't know what's all the fuss is about accidents happen.

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

@thomcat

I have called the sercrety of state. DMV. And state ins board nobody has their info on file. As far as I got was getting their bond number which does nothing. Went by there today the owner told me I wasn't going to bully him (which Is laughable) told me he needed estimates and he would think about paying them but said it had to be everything. He began to say an estimate is solid and they never find anything additional it's an easy repair. My rocker and floor have to be cut out and replaced and drive shaft has a huge hole in it. Not to mention frame damage. Which is minimal but still there

@karnut the big deal became when they undermined the damage and told me how simple and cheap they could get it done for. I told them I needed the frame and alignment checked and they declined. So I paid to have it towed to frame shop and sure enough it has frame damage. They haven't offered rental at this point. There is diminshed value when my rocker,floor and entire driver side has to have replaced doors and painted. (Whole side) when trading of i ever decide to a skilled eye could see the work performed no matter how good of a paint job. Also of I could post the photo of how the truck was positioned on the lift on a 7-9k lift to boot you would see why I don't want them touching my truck for cheap as possible work

My husband has the owner on recording cussing him out telling him to put phone down and take it out back to handle it?!

@karnut the big deal became when they undermined the damage and told me how simple and cheap they could get it done for. I told them I needed the frame and alignment checked and they declined. So I paid to have it towed to frame shop and sure enough it has frame damage. They haven't offered rental at this point. There is diminshed value when my rocker,floor and entire driver side has to have replaced doors and painted. (Whole side) when trading of i ever decide to a skilled eye could see the work performed no matter how good of a paint job. Also of I could post the photo of how the truck was positioned on the lift on a 7-9k lift to boot you would see why I don't want them touching my truck for cheap as possible work

My husband has the owner on recording cussing him out telling him to put phone down and take it out back to handle it?!

I thought it was the dealer you purchase the truck at and they would take care of you through the next purchase time. Evidently your dealing with shady people. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are an independent dealer, there is nothing GM will do and whats more, they are inclined to side with their dealer. I would get a lawyer, just having one involved may be all that's needed. Might also want to contact your insurance agent as there maybe something he can do on your behalf.

I would let them handle it. Doesn't make sense for the dealer to turn it in to his insurance if they can handle all the repairs in house. There wouldn't be diminished value if not going through insurance or GM. I'm sure they would give a warranty for their work on their repairs and provide a loaner. I really don't know what's all the fuss is about accidents happen.

thats not an accident, that's carelessness, stupidity, and negligence. BIG difference.

OP I would DEFINITELY have a lawyer at least write a letter stating what you want.

2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Instagram @wildchevys

Edited by wildchevys

thats not an accident, that's carelessness, stupidity, and negligence. BIG difference.

OP I would DEFINITELY have a lawyer at least write a letter stating what you want.

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

There was additional post between my and the op and this was covered. You should read on.

There was additional post between my and the op and this was covered. You should read on.

I read it in its entirety before posting. Thanks for the heads up though. LOL

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys