Grade Braking Activated?

Has this pop up on the DIC while coasting down a hill. Read the manual and didn't find anything particular to this and can't seem to reproduce it. Anyone know what the parameters are for activating it? What is it actually doing when its "activated" Any way to disable it, I'm not a huge fan of nanny controls.

Truck is a 2017 5.3 4x4 without the hill descent control button.

It just helps you slow down. You can turn it off by holding the trailer haul button down I believe for I think 7 seconds. But you have to do it every time you turn the vehicle on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normal powertrain grade braking.

There are THREE forms of grade braking on theses trucks. Normal above, Tow/Haul and Cruise control.

From the owners manual:

Normal Mode Grade Braking

If equipped with a gasoline engine and an automatic transmission, Normal Mode Grade Braking is enabled when the vehicle is started, but is not enabled in Range Selection Mode. It assists in maintaining desired vehicle speeds when driving on downhill grades by using the engine and transmission to slow the vehicle. The first time the system engages for each ignition key cycle, a DIC message will be displayed. See Transmission Messages.

To disable or enable Normal Mode Grade Braking within the current ignition key cycle, press and hold the Tow/Haul button for five seconds. When the button is released, the requested mode change is made. A DIC message displays. See Transmission Messages.

For other forms of grade braking, see Tow/Haul Mode and Cruise Control.

Tow haul:

Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking

Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking is only enabled while the Tow/Haul Mode is selected and the vehicle is not in the Range Selection Mode. See “Tow/Haul Mode” listed previously and Manual Mode. Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking assists in maintaining desired vehicle speeds when driving on downhill grades by using the engine and transmission to slow the vehicle.

If equipped, on vehicles with a gasoline engine, to disable or enable Tow/Haul Grade Braking within the current ignition key cycle, press and hold the Tow/Haul button for five seconds. When the button is released, the requested mode change is made. A DIC message is displayed. See Transmission Messages.

On vehicles with a diesel engine, Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking can be enabled or disabled by pressing the Tow/Haul Mode button. Use the exhaust brake and Tow/Haul Mode for maximum grade braking.

See Towing Equipment.

For other forms of grade braking, see Automatic Transmission and Cruise Control.

Cruise control:

Using Cruise Control on Hills

How well the cruise control works on hills depends on the vehicle speed, the load, and the steepness of the hills. When going up steep hills, pressing the accelerator pedal may be necessary to maintain vehicle speed.

While going downhill:

• Vehicles with a 6-speed automatic transmission and a gasoline engine have Cruise Grade Braking to help maintain driver selected speed.

Cruise Grade Braking is enabled when the vehicle is started and cruise control is active. It is not enabled in Range Selection Mode. It assists in maintaining driver selected speed when driving on downhill grades by using the engine and transmission to slow the vehicle.

To disable and enable Cruise Grade Braking for the current ignition key cycle, press and hold the Tow/Haul button for five seconds. A DIC message displays.

• Vehicles with a diesel engine have Cruise Grade Braking enabled when Tow/Haul Mode is on, the exhaust brake is on, or both are on.

For other forms of descent control, see Automatic Transmission and Tow/Haul Mode.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

I love Grade Braking on my truck. If you've ever been deep enough in the Appalachians that there are ramps on the side of major highways for tractor trailers to pull up for when they lose their brakes, that's where it comes in handy.

It's not really a "nanny" as it's just an engine brake. I also don't think it's activated by the grade itself, but via acceleration when coasting vs the driver pressing the brake to slow down.

• Like 1

I love Grade Braking on my truck. If you've ever been deep enough in the Appalachians that there are ramps on the side of major highways for tractor trailers to pull up for when they lose their brakes, that's where it comes in handy.

It's not really a "nanny" as it's just an engine brake. I also don't think it's activated by the grade itself, but via acceleration when coasting vs the driver pressing the brake to slow down.

I think anything made for towing should have some sort of engine brake rather it's mechanical or electrically controlled. I've seen a few 18 wheeler with smoking brakes when I tried trucking and was in the mountains. I think I did way more shifting than braking to use the engine to slow down. I'd rather do more "work" shifting for an engine brake than have the brakes glaze over on a truck that can be up to 40 tons.

Edited by SouthernSilveradoGuy85
  • Like 2

But does it save your brakes at the expense of engine and transmission wear? If this is the case I would rather buy new brakes. I guess I will find out.

2014 Silverado Z71

Look up how it works, as far as I know it doesn't put extra wear on the engine. The engine RPMs may be a little higher, but that doesn't put much wear on the engine and it's not enough to really notice I don't think. We're not talking about lifetime wear where grade braking may only save a few thousands miles on the pads and rotors. We're talking about how it saves brakes from over heating going down hills, especially mountains. No matter how advanced brakes get, heat still effects them just like heat effects any moving part. The only brakes I know of that actually work better when hot are Formula 1 brakes and a set of those probably cost more than an entire brand new full size truck.

• Like 3

Look up how it works, as far as I know it doesn't put extra wear on the engine. The engine RPMs may be a little higher, but that doesn't put much wear on the engine and it's not enough to really notice I don't think. We're not talking about lifetime wear where grade braking may only save a few thousands miles on the pads and rotors. We're talking about how it saves brakes from over heating going down hills, especially mountains. No matter how advanced brakes get, heat still effects them just like heat effects any moving part. The only brakes I know of that actually work better when hot are Formula 1 brakes and a set of those probably cost more than an entire brand new full size truck.

I kinda was thinking the same thing, although I couldn't help but wonder.

2014 Silverado Z71

Hello, if your driving in the mountains you downshift and let the motor do the slowing down for you, or you choose not to, and eventually burn up your brakes and wreck..... Pretty straight forward.

This truck is just doing it for the people who don't understand that concept, kind of like parallel parking option available on some of these other vehicles, its for people who can't park....

Soon enough, automated driving cars will become standard because people can't drive or are to distracted to drive....

Is this the same thing it does in tow haul mode? I was pulling a car trailer today loaded up and when I would leave off the gas the engine would down shift and hold it there until I got back on gas. Alomost like a jake brake.Is this normal? My 06 had tow haul mode and it only made the tranny pull higher rpm's before shifting.

I didn't say whether it worked well or not,lol just saying that's what the new technology is supposed to do.....abs brakes don't always work like they are supposed to either, but they are alot better now then when they first came out.

I would prefer a button that I could turn all the gadget stuff off with, but yet it would engage when the wife or kids drive the vehicle....

Edited by Sldhead700

I have used it a decent amount. The normal mode going down a grade you need to lightly hold the brake. The trans will downshift and engine will start braking. In tow/haul just the grade alone and acceleration down a grade will begin to operate the system. I have had it kick down to 5th a couple of times. It is pretty seamless and does work to save brakes. and the engine/trans unlike brakes has a cooling system to dissipate the energy the brakes would be burning off.

If you're worried about burning up the engine then you should also disable the V4 mode because this is V0 mode :-)

Edited by Pearl2017