Grade Braking Activated?

Now I'm curious when a 1/2 ton ton truck carries enough to glaze brakes, it seems like your pulling way more than the truck was designed to. I'm with a couple of other guys with the question downshifting especially when it down shifts a couple of gears on a small incline the Rpms go up quite a bit this burning more fuel and pushing all that oil to the top of the heads. It seems like I would like to be able to turn that off and leave off unless I have decided to over pull something I have no business pulling with a 1/2 ton truck.

Am I wrong by assuming these things? Has no one found a way to program this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a link between the grade braking and the clunky shifting in some transmissions. I noticed an overall improvement in shifting when I turned the grade braking off and let my trans be a trans not a brake on chicagoland expressways.

Lots have reported improved shifting after turning it off.

There is a link between the grade braking and the clunky shifting in some transmissions. I noticed an overall improvement in shifting when I turned the grade braking off and let my trans be a trans not a brake on chicagoland expressways.

Maybe that's for the 8 speeds or some of the 6 speeds. I guess it's hit or miss, like the vibration issue. My '14 after getting out of learn mode shifted and acted perfectly and I didn't turn any of that stuff off like grade braking, TC, stabilitrak and so on.

I love Grade Braking on my truck. If you've ever been deep enough in the Appalachians that there are ramps on the side of major highways for tractor trailers to pull up for when they lose their brakes, that's where it comes in handy.

It's not really a "nanny" as it's just an engine brake. I also don't think it's activated by the grade itself, but via acceleration when coasting vs the driver pressing the brake to slow down.

You are exactly correct.

• 11 months later...
On 9/19/2017 at 1:03 PM, Waterfowler41 said:

So you can disable it while in non-tow mode by just holding in the tow/haul mode button?

15 hours ago, Waterfowler41 said:

Yup! d59b69c4e9caed0649e222e50ce63468.jpg

Waterfowler 41’s Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brittmork

Cool - going to give that a try.  I find the grade braking to be a tremendous annoyance...it's downshifts so hard sometimes that it throws the RPMs up above 5000. Also, I'm always willing to try anything that may help improve the way this thing shifts (i.e. chuggle, hunting for gears, slamming into gears when slowing down quickly), etc... Thanks!

Cool - going to give that a try.  I find the grade braking to be a tremendous annoyance...it's downshifts so hard sometimes that it throws the RPMs up above 5000. Also, I'm always willing to try anything that may help improve the way this thing shifts (i.e. chuggle, hunting for gears, slamming into gears when slowing down quickly), etc... Thanks!

I used this truck until I bought a tuner. I use a truxp tuner from autoanything to run a performance 87 canned tune. Trucks feels fun to drive now.

I know exactly what you’re talking about with the downshifting, it was bad for me in rush hour traffic.

Waterfowler 41’s Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brittmork

Personally, I wish Grade Braking would be OFF by Default.

Around here for daily commuting it is not necessary.

Would be so much easier to turn it ON when you want or need it rather than having to Disable Every Time you start the truck.