Towing a gooseneck with a 1500

Rme2513

Robert, one other thought, how heavy is the bucket? If the bucket is manageable by 2 guys and is pinned for easy removal and re-installation you could haul the bucket in the truck bed and that would give you a couple feet more to move the tractor forward on the trailer.

it does come off but don't really wanna man handle it and I had the bed full

police are no worries unless it's the DOT but I doubt they will bother me every one does that around here I did not buy it as a combo but they are sold that way with a 18' trailer and they all over hang

It really boils down to if your brakes can handle stoping your load. Overhang varies as long you red flag it and lights can be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a02ecb412e7cdee02db920a672cce095.png This is the trailer I'm looking at it's one of the lightest goosenecks they sell and with a 14 k GVWR it should be plenty for what I have with some to grow a double wheel would be to much for my truck far as weight I pulled it about 60 MPH up here for about 120 miles did not have any sway issues but the trailer is still maxed out so I will be getting a trailer just not sure what yet I was wanting to go with a gooseneck just to eliminate the sway not sure if a beefy bumper pull would fix the sway

It really boils down to if your brakes can handle stoping your load. Overhang varies as long you red flag it and lights can be seen.

I have breaks on both axils of the trailer they work pretty good only have them turned up to 6.5 volts on the controler with the sensitivity turned up
  • Like 1

I've got a Kubota tractor that's larger than that one, that setup weighs maybe 4500-5000# my guess. Mine is the MX5100 HST. You don't need a gooseneck to pull it. I pull mine with a 24 ft trailer that's built alot like a car hauler. It has 2 7K axles and it places the load mostly in the trailer axles where it should be. I have pulled it with 2 half tons that I have owned as well as a Duramax that I had for a while. No problem and well within load limit. The trailer I have was about $4K and is a bumper pull. I got a Schuck shock hitch and all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI would also add that if I were you I would ditch the add a leaves in favor of an airbag setup. Far more capable and can be adjusted unlike add a leaves.

would I have to get a compressor to regulate the pressure or just set them and forget them. Have you ever used them

If you mean the airbags, the answer is no. You will need an air compressor to air the bags up with at home or a friend's, but not required in the vehicle. I have had them set up both ways and I prefer an onboard compressor but you can add one later if you desire. Don't use a T splitter. It will allow the bags to pressure each other on shifts, and should one blow you will lose both.

If you mean the airbags, the answer is no. You will need an air compressor to air the bags up with at home or a friend's, but not required in the vehicle. I have had them set up both ways and I prefer an onboard compressor but you can add one later if you desire. Don't use a T splitter. It will allow the bags to pressure each other on shifts, and should one blow you will lose both.

If one were to blow and not the other wouldn't it still cause a major problem with say 1200# on the tongue ?

I went and looked at some goosenecks today and the wheels sit really far back so I really think that's going to put most of the tractors weight on the truck and that would be way to much so I was thinking about just getting a weight distribution hitch to get me by for now   Maybe buy another trailer down the road but don't think it will be a gooseneck just a more heavy duty one 

Edited by Rme2513

Does any one know what what the exact difference is in the z71 and NHT packages are I know the gearing and shocks are different and has an added trans cooler but are the leaf springs different to and is there anything else that I did not mention? Just wondering where there are getting the extra towing capacity from just more gear or stiffer springs 

NHT cannot be ordered on a Z71 truck. 

NHT is only available on LT and LTZ trims. (SLE and SLT for GMC family)

This is 'copy/paste' for the 2018 MY

NHT  -  Max Trailering Package, On Crew Cab and Double Cab models, includes 9.76" rear axle, (JL1) trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
LT - Includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential and Z82 Trailering Package. Requires (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and (DPN) outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors. Includes (PZX) 18" x 8.5" bright-machined aluminum wheels with (RKX) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD4) 20" aluminum wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires. 
LTZ - With (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine, requires (PZX) 18" x 8.5" aluminum wheels and (RKX) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD2) 20" chrome wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires. With (L86) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, requires (RD2) 20" chrome wheels with (QSS) 20" tires. Requires (DQS) Outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors. Not available with (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package.

NHT also provides a lower ratio differential.  Exact one depends on engine /trans combo.

So NHT gets the tow mirrors, enhanced cooling, 9.76 axle, heavier springs and higher RGAWR (rear gross axle weight rating)

Items like G80 and brake controller are standard or available on LT/LTZ/SLE/SLT (but maybe not on other trims)

Z71 is (traditionally was?) a suspension package for better off-road, rather than a towing package. It now also includes a bunch of styling items (especially on the chev)

Some think the Z71 does not ride as nice as the non-Z71

Edited by redwngr

On 10/19/2017 at 3:10 PM, redwngr said:

NHT cannot be ordered on a Z71 truck. 

NHT is only available on LT and LTZ trims. (SLE and SLT for GMC family)

This is 'copy/paste' for the 2018 MY

NHT  -  Max Trailering Package, On Crew Cab and Double Cab models, includes 9.76" rear axle, (JL1) trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
LT - Includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential and Z82 Trailering Package. Requires (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and (DPN) outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors. Includes (PZX) 18" x 8.5" bright-machined aluminum wheels with (RKX) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD4) 20" aluminum wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires. 
LTZ - With (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine, requires (PZX) 18" x 8.5" aluminum wheels and (RKX) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD2) 20" chrome wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires. With (L86) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, requires (RD2) 20" chrome wheels with (QSS) 20" tires. Requires (DQS) Outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors. Not available with (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package.

NHT also provides a lower ratio differential.  Exact one depends on engine /trans combo.

So NHT gets the tow mirrors, enhanced cooling, 9.76 axle, heavier springs and higher RGAWR (rear gross axle weight rating)

Items like G80 and brake controller are standard or available on LT/LTZ/SLE/SLT (but maybe not on other trims)

Z71 is (traditionally was?) a suspension package for better off-road, rather than a towing package. It now also includes a bunch of styling items (especially on the chev)

Some think the Z71 does not ride as nice as the non-Z71

Ok so the only real difference is the heavy duty springs I have a 9.76 axle dose anyone have the NHT or know of one to actually look at them I wanna see the difference and if there is would they bolt up to my truck ? 

They would bolt right up, they probably have an additional leaf in the pack.  RockAuto lists 3 different options for this truck, a 2+1 setup for three total springs in the rear.  A 3+1 setup for 4 total springs and a 5+1 for six springs.  The pack thickness ranges from about 2 inches to over 3 and a half.  It would be very easy to check your truck to see which spring options you have.  

Just returned from a cross country trip, two things I never really paid attention to and after reading threads on here I looked for. One I was surprised to see there are a few 1/2 tons with goose necks pulling campers. Two I was informed that most tractor trailers run 65 mph on the interstate, saw very few of those.