Ram 1500

I currently have a Silverado Crew, 2007 Classic, 4.8, 4WD. The only thing I haven't liked is the 4WD. It's pretty noisy, and it sits far to low for a 4WD. It has 125K on it. I can't say they have been totally trouble free miles, but not bad. Some warranty work, plus a leaky rear pinion seal, and the oil pressure sender went bad. The brakes have always been pretty squeaky. This isn't one of those "I hate GM forever" posts.

I have a chance to get a Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4WD 5.7 Hemi for a real good price. I'm thinking about doing it, but don't know much about the new Rams. Maybe asking on a GM board isn't the best place, but I thought I would see if anyone has any experience with them, good or bad.

V

The Rams are a tall truck, but even their 4x4 sit low for a 4x4, especially if its got air suspension. I drove a friend's Ram Rebel, it had some nice features, and the Hemi and 8 speed was a good combo. That said, the air suspension I didn't care for, and even with the LT rated Toyo tires, it had less payload than my Colorado Diesel 4x4 by almost 400lbs. Sad for a 1/2 ton truck. GM's MyLink/Intellilink infotainment is much better than the Ram from my use in that Rebel. GM has HVAC all on its own controls, the Ram is largely touch based HVAC and rather annoying. If payload and fuel economy concerns you, I'd eyeball a newer Silverado/Sierra. If you are more of a creature comforts guy, you have to spend some $$$ at GM, but Ram packs in some features for good value.

There not bad. I would never own one. But than again would never own a newer Chevy either. Too much bull crap in new trucks. Dodge has that turn shifter......a lot of people hate it. Dodges 4wd isn't any better. The hemi has 16 spark plugs in it.....it's all preference dude. It's what you like.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

This doesn't have the air suspension. according to the specs, the Ram sits a whole inch higher. It ain't much.

And I can get the lifetime warranty for around $3K. Might be worth it.

Yup, as for actual ground clearance.....I believe the Chevy's have lowest ingress with doors etc. so everybody just assumes they are the lowest on ground clearance too.....The FERDS I checked at work were slightly more off the pumpkin than chevy's no idea on Ram? I do kinda like the look of Rams some days but I just can't walk away from GM's as the reliability is just too pronounced over the others?

Agree on the electrical gremlins. Mt brother in law was a mechanic for a Dodge dealer for 28 years. He tells me many stories of electrical problems, and some he never figured out, and on one truck worked on it for 2 solid weeks, 80 hours and could not figure it out. That says a lot for him, he's one smart mofo.

I bailed on the Ram. Just didn't seem worth it. I'll drive my Silverado for another 75K and keep the $26K it would have taken me to buy the Ram. I only drive about 10 to 12 thousand miles a year these days.

Thanks for the input.

I have 4 relatives with them. Two are older than five years over 150K miles. One is older than that with 120K miles its a 98 diesel. The fourth is two years old the rest are Hemi powered. No complaints are reliable and very nice.

I am just coming from a Ram 1500. I bought a 2015 crew cab 4x4 with the Ecodiesel and 8 speed tranny. It spent more time in the shop it's first year than my last 2 Tundras combined. When I traded it for the Silverado it had so much dust coming in the cab on gravel you would be sneezing. While it was in for a recall had them try to find it. Their answer was run the A/C on high to try and positive pressure the cab. Never mind they had already put a new rear window seal in once and told me it was a known issue. Several electrical quirks. One unimproved roads it rattled so much so guys riding with my thought it was gonna fall apart. My engine and transmission were the best part. I used to tell people that if someone walked in and said that truck was on fire I would've been more upset about the sunglasses in the console. Never another Chrysler product for me.

Individual experiences may vary. I had a 2013 and a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie both loaded up. Loved those trucks and only had normal small issues with them. Would still be driving them today if I didn't feel the need to lose the payments.

Archived