2015 Silverado / 520,000 miles / 20,000 OCI's

Amsoil has been doing this for many years. My family business used their products in hundreds of ROW machines and trucks, cars. Did all the analysis early on and periodically to this day. I personally have used synthetic in performance cars and diesel-gas pickups at 20,000 mile oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure that there weren't a whole lot of cold start cycles with this test, which further contaminates the oil. Sounds like the engine was started, and ran at highway speeds on a dyno keeping oil warm at all times. A fully synthetic media oil filter would be a must for those oil change intervals.

Impressive yes but 500,000 continous highway miles are different than say 200 or 300k over 10-15 years. Cold starts, hot starts, 3-4 starts per day, etc. 

I might switch to that “annual” oil on my wife’s durango. We barely get to 5k miles in 12 months on her car. Ive put 14k miles on my Sierra in 15 months. 

Most people don’t drive 20K miles a year, once a year oil changes is not that hard to do. In 2006 my Trailblazer ss was 12-15 K on Mobil 1 before the oil change light came on. People who drive more than that in a year it’s not hard to imagine there’re drive Hwy miles and not doing a whole lot of cold start ups. Engines are more efficient, extended drains are not hard to imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35-40 years ago we were doing extended oil change intervals with Mobil1. 

Seems like it would be within possibility by now.

No doubt the development work was done with periodic oil sampling to show that oil was not breaking down to unacceptable levels.  

They are not going to do all the branding work and accept product liability with a sample of one.

Meets Dexos1 Gen 2 specifcation

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-annual-protection

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-Annual-Protection

I'm sceptical enough to think that the warrany might be hard to collect on, but there is one:

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-annual-protection-oil-warranty

I don’t drive 20k in a year, or even close.  I’ve been running extended performance which says it’s good for 15k miles.  I do use the Mobil 1 annual filter.  I’m driving 10-12 k per year and change my oil once a year.  I’d buy the 20k oil if it wasn’t 20$ more than the EP. 

I guess I'm still concerned about harmful levels of dirt getting into the engine and oil over that amount of time. That's one of the main reasons I would not go that long. I don't know if my reasons are well founded, but I do have comfort changing the oil every 5000-6000, or when the oil life monitor says to, whichever is shorter.

Mine gets changed at 6,000-7,000 miles.  Have it done at a Cadillac dealer I've been using for years for service.  Depending on miles driven works out to between 2-3 oil changes per year at roughly $70 each.  They top off the fluids, rotate the tires, to me it's worth it.  Truck had 58,000, oil consumption is minor, maybe 1/2 qt in 5000 miles.  AFM is deactivated on mine, has been since about 10,000 miles.  For the dyno test in the article, didn't notice if the truck had AFM active or not, I would think it was active, not sure how much it would kick in with a steady load/throttle position.  On teardown, those bearings looked real good, what I'd like to see is what the intake tract looked like.  My wide drives a Volvo XC60 3.0T, puts 9,000-10,000 max on it annual, hers gets one oil change per year.  

Archived