I'm  building a 12x20 shed, once the weather gets warmer. My question is, can I put the floor beams right on the solid concrete blocks? They will be pressure treated 2X6's. I plan to have solid concert blocks ever 4 feet. My yard is pretty level.  

I built a cabin a little bigger than that on my buddy's farm. we did exactly what you are saying, with the concrete base blocks, but they are spaced farther than 4' apart. but only people traffic, no vehicles. (i assume you mean the blocks with the grooves in top, not just plain CMU's. https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/concrete-cement-masonry/construction-concrete-blocks/4x4-6x6-deck-block/p-1502778698449-c-5647.htm?tid=-3199910362987888040&ipos=13

Its been standing for over 10 years now and its doing fine. 

If i was going to build a shed to park a vehicle in though, I would really consider spending a couple hundred bucks on concrete and doing a slab on grade. it depends how handy you are and if you have access to equipment, but it could be done in a weekend. I think if you intend on driving a vehicle in there, that's the way to go. But if its just a garden shed, then I wouldn't hesitate to use those blocks.

you mention the fact that your yard is level. I hope you don't just go set those blocks on top of the grass. I think you would be better off at least digging out the sod and putting some gravel down first.

Edited by aseibel

I agree that a concrete slab would be preferable. If that’s not possible, at the very least, I would strip back the sod & top soil and lay down 4-6” of road gravel, then wet & compact the gravel prior to setting the blocks.
Not sure how “permanent” you want the structure but pouring concrete footings would also be another option.
Either way, I wouldn’t just set the blocks on the lawn.

Thanks everyone for your info. I still have several months to go before I start building. So I have plenty of time to prep before i do it. 

One good thing about getting the shed is a get a compound sliding miter saw, that she hasn't approved of yet.

12 minutes ago, USCGRetiredJosh said:
12 minutes ago, USCGRetiredJosh said:

One good thing about getting the shed is a get a compound sliding miter saw, that she hasn't approved of yet

Well tell her that the miter saw might just might jog your memory that Valentine's Day is next month where you might be inclined to be extra, special nice. 

Thanks everyone for your info. I still have several months to go before I start building. So I have plenty of time to prep before i do it. 

One good thing about getting the shed is a get a compound sliding miter saw, that she hasn't approved of yet.

Are you running power to the shed? Best thing I did with shed 2

Ryan B.

I am considering running power to the shed but I need a new shed first because the current shed has a hole in the roof covered by a tarp, and the walls are disintegrating at the bottom. I bought this house 6 months ago and we knew the shed needed to be replaced. The shed is the first project for this year. 

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, BroseVino said:

I'm thinking of doing a similar project. Do you have any tips for first-time builders?

Start by knowing your local building codes and what will require a permit, inspection, etc. Once you understand whether your project will need permitting and inspections, go talk to the local building inspector. Ask questions like "if this were larger and needed to be permitted, what would the guidelines be that I would have to follow?" (assuming your project would NOT require permitting)

Their insight into what they would be looking for if it DID have to be permitted will likely give you some good insight into how to get started.

Building a 12x20 shed is an exciting project, and I'm glad to help. It sounds like you have a solid plan in place. Placing pressure-treated 2x6 floor beams directly on solid concrete blocks should work well, especially if your yard is level. Just remember to space the blocks evenly, approximately every 4 feet, to ensure stability and even weight distribution.In case you're still hunting for more information on building projects, I also found some useful tips about various structures, including small summer houses. You can check them out here: https://www.scottsofthrapston.co.uk/small-summerhouses/

Edited by JasonAnderson