Cold Air Inductions (First Impression)

Just received my Cold Air Inductions Intake for my 17 6.2. I just wanted to see if anyone else on there has one and if their happy with the quality and how it performs.

I'm a little disappointed, especially since it cost me over 700 cdn to get it to my door. That included the intake, extra filter, recharge kit, and shipping costs. Seems like there's a lot of overspray from the powder coat. Not just on the ends but through out the tube. At least there's some kind of crud in the tube. And I'm not sure if it was just a one off bad mold job, but the silicone throttle body connection is pretty beat up, the inside is all hacked and the pcv tubes have excess silicone protruding into the tube. Little worried it might eventually break off and make its way into the engine. Also one of the pcv tubes is kinked, and a section of the heat shield has a puncture. Those probably aren't a big deal but still, imperfections that shouldn't be there.  You could say I'm over reacting, but I paid for a cold air inductions, not a K&N. And in my experience, I never actually had an issue with manufacturing defects with K&N.

I sent them an email and haven't heard back yet... Before I purchased the intake I sent an email with questions I had regarding performance, filtration performance, use in harsh climates etc. I was looking for an iso 5011 test. But I was just told its the best air intake on the market, and to refer to their website for information (which I already did). They were polite, but not helpful. So I ditched the questions I had and just bought it, expecting the best air intake. I hope to hear back from them, I was looking forward to this intake. It seems like a lot of people are happy with them and received a great product. But for those of you looking at buying this intake, its something to consider when making your decision.

I thought about it, but I'm putting headers on and wanted a full intake.

Here's some pictures, doesn't really do it justice. Didn't pick up the overspray except for where its really bad.

20180302_081457.jpg

20180302_081611.jpg

20180302_081755.jpg

20180302_130516.jpg

Edited by M1ck3y
additional photos
  • Like 1

So they got back to me.

Here's the email I sent.

Hi, I just received my intake for 17 Silverado 6.2. Just wondering what the filter maintenance schedule is. On my recharge kit it says every 4000 miles. Can you go over this without a loss in filtration performance? And should I go by how many miles are on the filter, or is a visual inspection more important? If its dirty, clean it? or do you wait to 4000?

Also wanted to ask about the plastic sleeve in the tube at the maf location. Is the sleeve designed to be removed for additional performance when tuning is done, or is it supposed to stay in there?

Just a note... I was kind of expecting better quality. Intake tube has overspray on the inside; basically through out the whole tube. Some sort of crude is in the middle of the pipe anyways. Plus a silicone throttle body connection is beat up pretty good on the inside. Not sure if its just a random mold process gone bad. The outside looks better... a lot of money for imperfections. I'm over 700 cdn to get it to my door.

And their response.

Hi Jared,

Thank You for choosing our brand!

The 4,000 miles is an error.  We recommend every 25,000-40,000 miles based on driving conditions.

The overspray inside the tube does not impact performance at all.

If you choose to have a tune then remove the insert as it will enhance performance.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

open?upn=r3XecG9Oeir8G6iSrKDq5MH8-2BHhdi9ebS4GPA97VJQqbJoHw1QjqJoSTDGLQlKPo85PkgPr5aoOKRn-2BaK3Vdt8WiDhxFpejjGUohTbj3qKi3QJtEj4XtqSkwrD4MZtqrqUxtl4OELkuvup2OugOEhKz7wiho-2B8rX0mp8l9TScGEH7NtS4-2F8Y4F-2Fhc28O2Fugv65BFKYdhp9csCXJRou-2BuofYZJ5WLey2I2FmeTMXtb6M7cwMxE8hY-2FpyujCMUxuntRAW6VxdsvlD2S4qxsOHQmfa5H3jA9dS9AIwCF2w88c-3D

8 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

So they got back to me.

Here's the email I sent.

Hi, I just received my intake for 17 Silverado 6.2. Just wondering what the filter maintenance schedule is. On my recharge kit it says every 4000 miles. Can you go over this without a loss in filtration performance? And should I go by how many miles are on the filter, or is a visual inspection more important? If its dirty, clean it? or do you wait to 4000?

Also wanted to ask about the plastic sleeve in the tube at the maf location. Is the sleeve designed to be removed for additional performance when tuning is done, or is it supposed to stay in there?

Just a note... I was kind of expecting better quality. Intake tube has overspray on the inside; basically through out the whole tube. Some sort of crude is in the middle of the pipe anyways. Plus a silicone throttle body connection is beat up pretty good on the inside. Not sure if its just a random mold process gone bad. The outside looks better... a lot of money for imperfections. I'm over 700 cdn to get it to my door.

And their response.

Hi Jared,

Thank You for choosing our brand!

The 4,000 miles is an error.  We recommend every 25,000-40,000 miles based on driving conditions.

The overspray inside the tube does not impact performance at all.

If you choose to have a tune then remove the insert as it will enhance performance.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

open?upn=r3XecG9Oeir8G6iSrKDq5MH8-2BHhdi9ebS4GPA97VJQqbJoHw1QjqJoSTDGLQlKPo85PkgPr5aoOKRn-2BaK3Vdt8WiDhxFpejjGUohTbj3qKi3QJtEj4XtqSkwrD4MZtqrqUxtl4OELkuvup2OugOEhKz7wiho-2B8rX0mp8l9TScGEH7NtS4-2F8Y4F-2Fhc28O2Fugv65BFKYdhp9csCXJRou-2BuofYZJ5WLey2I2FmeTMXtb6M7cwMxE8hY-2FpyujCMUxuntRAW6VxdsvlD2S4qxsOHQmfa5H3jA9dS9AIwCF2w88c-3D

Their response feels like, "We got your money, now leave us alone." There really wasn't much effort or attention to customer service in their response. Sad.

• Like 2

Well, they were like that before I even bought the intake. In fact instead of answering my questions prior to purchasing, they basically said that If I have doubt its best if I don't buy the intake.

On their website their claims of quality, and performance make it sound like your buying gold. They need to change that... 

18 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

Well, they were like that before I even bought the intake. In fact instead of answering my questions prior to purchasing, they basically said that If I have doubt its best if I don't buy the intake.

On their website their claims of quality, and performance make it sound like your buying gold. They need to change that... 

I would have found other choices.

:)

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

I would have found other choices.

:)

Yeah I know, its just there is a lot of positive reviews for the lt1 intake in the Camaro. Yeah different intake but same company. Made power, and improved 1/4 mile times. Believe it or not, a lot of intakes will make power but you'll be slightly slower than stock. Made me believe same engineering went into the Silverado intake...

There was 40 dollars in shipping that cold air inductions charged me. So my cc was charged around 650. Then 70 dollars of bs for coming across the border.

Edited by M1ck3y

I once had a piece of my intake break off and get sucked into my engine

guess where it got stuck, the throttle plate

was a 400whp turbo civic

nothing like drivig on residential roads and having your throttle get stuck open in an economy car with 4x the power it was designed for

i shut off the motor pretty quickly, but man it was pretty scary

Looked on their website.  That looks like a real shit design.  Metal tube = heat.  Not fully enclosed = noise.  Should've gone with AEM, Volant, or S&B.  My Volant is also a POS but for $281 minus $50 rebate, I'm ok spending a little money making it less shitty (noisy)

Edited by Austin66

4 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I once had a piece of my intake break off and get sucked into my engine

guess where it got stuck, the throttle plate

was a 400whp turbo civic

nothing like drivig on residential roads and having your throttle get stuck open in an economy car with 4x the power it was designed for

i shut off the motor pretty quickly, but man it was pretty scary

I've never thought about a piece of the intake breaking off and getting stuck in the throttle body and having the car/truck continue to pull. Thanks, now I'm going to have bad dreams about this like when you have the falling dream or your brakes won't work dream. :)