Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

I have a 2015 Tahoe PPV and was wondering if anyone had any information or literature on the competition mode on this model. I have driven it in both modes and have not noticed any significant differences. I am also curious about how active fuel management works on these if possible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do a little research:

 

"

The stability system is capable of recognizing high performance driving with a Track Detect Mode.
When continuous high performance driving occurs in 2WD or Auto 4WD Mode, the stability system will automatically enter
Competition Mode. When engaged, the message "Competition Mode" will appear in the DIC and the Traction Control OFF and
StabiliTrak OFF lights will illuminate. (see illustration section for StabiliTrak button location)
Competition mode can be disengaged by any of these four methods:
-Discontinue high performance driving for approximately 2 minutes
-Place transmission shift lever into Park for a brief period of time
-Press and hold button to completely disable Traction Control and press again to re-enable all stability systems
-
Turn engine off

 

Copied from:

https://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicle_Search/Specialty_Vehicles/Specialty vehicles/02_pdf/Tahoe 9C1 4WD Specification Guide 2016.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, I understand that, but it doesn’t really explain what happens when you put the vehicle in competition mode. For example, does it adjust throttle response or just suspension and steering? 

Edited by tahoeppv15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would "assume" that Traction Control and StabilTrac will be off.

The "barn" still won't be able to go 200 mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I was just trying to figure out if that was all it did. When driving, I didn’t notice any other changes, but I was just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Active fuel management is when the engine isn't under much load it will switch from 8 cylinder power down to 4 cylinder by shutting off fuel injectors to those cylinders 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ksfarmdude said:

Active fuel management is when the engine isn't under much load it will switch from 8 cylinder power down to 4 cylinder by shutting off fuel injectors to those cylinders 

Oh, that is what I had thought! I can sometimes feel it switching between the two, especially on the highway. Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, tahoeppv15 said:

I have a 2015 Tahoe PPV and was wondering if anyone had any information or literature on the competition mode on this model. I have driven it in both modes and have not noticed any significant differences. I am also curious about how active fuel management works on these if possible!

I know its 3 years late but if you drive the truck hard in competitive mode you will notice a significant difference in the behavior of the truck

The shifting is sharper, the steering stiffens up and the engine gets more responsive and will not drop into cylinder deactivation mode.

The truck will also run to its aerodynamic tops speed of about 162mph.

 

If you just switch modes and drive  normally won't notice the difference. Take the truck around a slalom course in the 2 different modes and you will notice

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 11:48 PM, RC45 said:

I know its 3 years late but if you drive the truck hard in competitive mode you will notice a significant difference in the behavior of the truck

The shifting is sharper, the steering stiffens up and the engine gets more responsive and will not drop into cylinder deactivation mode.

The truck will also run to its aerodynamic tops speed of about 162mph.

 

If you just switch modes and drive  normally won't notice the difference. Take the truck around a slalom course in the 2 different modes and you will notice

 

 

lol, there is no way a PPV is getting up to 160 mph (heck, the charger & taurus SHO interceptors cant even go that fast)

the driveshaft will give out well before that is reached.  tires would have issues at that speed too

 

129-135 is more reasonable, thats still pushing it.

i havent seen any upfitters upgrading the driveshaft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its pretty cool that it can enter competition mode automatically given certain driving conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.