potential buyer 2018 5.3L 6 speed reliability?

I currently am looking to buy a 2018 silverado, 4x4, 5.3L, with a 6 speed transmission... Can anyone please speak on its reliability and drive ability? I hear a lot of very bad things

regarding the 8 speed is why I am sticking closely with a 6 speed. are there any crazy shifting issues with the 6 speed? I will really appreciate all and any input before making this

purchase! Thanks all!

I dont know about the 8 speed, but the 6 speed shift kinda crappy stock. It's always lugging the motor and anytime you get on it more than 1/16th of throttle it studders around looking for the best gear. After the tune though, its very pleasant to drive. The gears are almost un noticeable yet firm. 

FWIW I have the 8-speed in my 2018 and have had no issues. I think it drives noticeably better than the six speed in my 2014 and in a 2017 that I drove for a period.

Send a picture if you buy it!  

I have the 8, it's an acquired taste.  Sounds bad a.. ripping through the gears, with very nice shifts.  Has intermittent/occasional harsh shift with light throttle at low speed, regardless of software update.  I decided that I can live with it.  

Good luck.

5 hours ago, SWOYER said:

I dont know about the 8 speed, but the 6 speed shift kinda crappy stock. It's always lugging the motor and anytime you get on it more than 1/16th of throttle it studders around looking for the best gear. After the tune though, its very pleasant to drive. The gears are almost un noticeable yet firm. 

Exactly my experience as well. 18 LT 6Sp 5.3. 

What did you get for a tune?

After much internal debate about buying a Diablo tuner, I went with diablew. His customer service is awesome and for a daily it's a no brainier.  We don't need to tuners and autocal on a daily like this. So the price point is more attractive. You?

I went from a 2008 6 speed to a 2013 6 speed.  The 2013 was leaps and bounds above the 2008 and I enjoyed driving it.  I would think by now they would have both the 6 speed and 8 speed very well sorted.  And, a tune would help prolong the life of the transmission as well.  

• Like 1

But if OP is considering a new truck, are y’all suggesting he spend the extra money AND likely void his warranty (if he gets “caught?”). 

SWOYER says “...always lugging the motor...”.  As in never have either of mine done that EVER,  not to mention ALWAYS.

More here that say their 6sp works well.   Test drive it.  Then buy it.