preferred gear ratio

Hi everyone I am looking at ordering a new truck with the 6.2l and I was wondering what your thoughts where on gear ratios.The way the brochure reads I could get the 3.23 or the 3.42 ratio. I would be rarely pulling a trailer but where I live it seems like you are always bucking a wind of at least a 30 mph. I know with the older trucks I have had with 4 speed transmissions the lower gear ratio not only give better performance but with the windy conditions  better fuel mileage so I thought I would see what you might recommend with these new transmissions. 

Here's the deal with the 6.2:  the 3.23 gears are for the NON max-tow trucks  and 3.42's are only available on the max-tow. I have a 15 max-tow with the 6.2 and 3.42's and they're just fine with me. You also get the added benefit of the tow mirrors and a bigger radiator--well worth it in my opinion.

I drive a cc 4wd std bed with a 4.3 V6 and a 3.42.  Strong winds and occasional towing aren't  a problem.  I imagine a 6.2 with a 3.23 would have significantly more power at the rear wheels than my truck so you'll be fine with either combination.  It is a case of how much unused power you want in reserve.

Most of the gearing attributes are accomplished with the new 8L90e and it's 8 transmission gears. With more forward gears, there is less emphasis on the final drive ratio. You would never notice the 3.23 compared to a 3.43 except when loaded to Max GVW. The 3.42 might net you a tenth or two in the 1/4 if your a sport truck guy. 

I’ve got a 6.2 in a High Country with the 3.23. I would go to the 3.42. If you are even remotely considering a taller tire then it becomes absolute. You’re not going to see a loss on the top end by going to slightly taller gears. My .02 cents.

Thank you everybody this forum is much more knowledgeable then the dealer I did not know that you need the max trailer pack to get the 3.42 gears since I would be getting the z71 pack and you cannot get the max trailer pack in that trim I guess 3.23 it is. 

I specifically looked for a 6.2 max tow with 3.42. I immediately put larger tires on 32.7”. My speedo is 2 mph or 5% slow with larger tires. Truck still goes into v4 in town and on highway.  My gear ratio is prob closer to 3:23 now. 

Point is if you are going to put larger tires on get the lowest gear ratio available. 

Archived