yet another tire thread

So I am about to be in the market for tires on my 14 Silverado 1500 and figured i'd get some opinions on here.

I currently have the pathetic SRA's and one of my rims has a bead leak (I tried to fix it at home but couldn't break the damn thing loose from the rim and ended up putting 2 dents in the side of the rim from trying to beat the bead off the rim but oh well). 

I have 6-7/32" left on all 4 tires and the traction is pathetic like others mention. Snow is horrible, rain is okay but I always spin the wheels when I try to pull out somewhere. I have a 3.42 G80 rear end and the max towing package on my truck. I myself do not do much towing aside from the occasional order from lowes or when I go camping. I don't really expect to be towing a massive amount of weight but I always drive off road when I am camping and also plan to drive on the beach as well at times. I had 2 tire punctures from 2 small self tapping screws on the stock tires. I also do not have a lift on the truck and do not plan to lift it.

I figure that I may have about another year of life left on my stock tires before I need to replace them. Looking through the forum it seems that most members have upgraded their tire to one that is slightly wider than the stock 265/65r18 that the truck came with. I was thinking about either sticking to the factory 265/65r18 and picking the passenger rated Kuhmo Road Venture tires or upgrading to a light truck tire with a wider size of 275/65r18 that is the same Kuhmo Road venture. The price difference on tirerack is $127 to upgrade to a slightly wider tire and have the load rating for a light truck. 

What is everyones opinion on this? Should I save the money and stick with a passenger rated tire or should I upgrade to a heavier duty light truck tire? I'm not concerned about a rougher ride (the potholes around western new york are horrendous anyways) I just don't want a horrible drone noise when on the thruway. And does anyone have a recommendation on a TPMS sensor that does not have the bendable rubber stem? I found a few knockoff ones online that are solid metal valve stems but didn't know how durable they would be as well as if the TPMS sensor battery would last long enough.

So I am about to be in the market for tires on my 14 Silverado 1500 and figured i'd get some opinions on here.

I currently have the pathetic SRA's and one of my rims has a bead leak (I tried to fix it at home but couldn't break the damn thing loose from the rim and ended up putting 2 dents in the side of the rim from trying to beat the bead off the rim but oh well). 

I have 6-7/32" left on all 4 tires and the traction is pathetic like others mention. Snow is horrible, rain is okay but I always spin the wheels when I try to pull out somewhere. I have a 3.42 G80 rear end and the max towing package on my truck. I myself do not do much towing aside from the occasional order from lowes or when I go camping. I don't really expect to be towing a massive amount of weight but I always drive off road when I am camping and also plan to drive on the beach as well at times. I had 2 tire punctures from 2 small self tapping screws on the stock tires. I also do not have a lift on the truck and do not plan to lift it.

I figure that I may have about another year of life left on my stock tires before I need to replace them. Looking through the forum it seems that most members have upgraded their tire to one that is slightly wider than the stock 265/65r18 that the truck came with. I was thinking about either sticking to the factory 265/65r18 and picking the passenger rated Kuhmo Road Venture tires or upgrading to a light truck tire with a wider size of 275/65r18 that is the same Kuhmo Road venture. The price difference on tirerack is $127 to upgrade to a slightly wider tire and have the load rating for a light truck. 

What is everyones opinion on this? Should I save the money and stick with a passenger rated tire or should I upgrade to a heavier duty light truck tire? I'm not concerned about a rougher ride (the potholes around western new york are horrendous anyways) I just don't want a horrible drone noise when on the thruway. And does anyone have a recommendation on a TPMS sensor that does not have the bendable rubber stem? I found a few knockoff ones online that are solid metal valve stems but didn't know how durable they would be as well as if the TPMS sensor battery would last long enough.
Personally if you aren't lifting it, or aren't looking for a super aggressive off road tire I like the Cooper discoverer at3s. Ran them on multiple trucks now mostly highway miles at 65mph, with occasional off-roading for camping or four wheelers stuff like that. I put about 50k a year on my truck driving, the coopers usually last me 2 years with tread to spare.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Personally if you aren't lifting it, or aren't looking for a super aggressive off road tire I like the Cooper discoverer at3s. Ran them on multiple trucks now mostly highway miles at 65mph, with occasional off-roading for camping or four wheelers stuff like that. I put about 50k a year on my truck driving, the coopers usually last me 2 years with tread to spare.

As for size I like going one size up over stock to feel the wheel wells some more. As long as they don't rub anyways. I think it makes these truck look more aggressive also!

• Like 1

Sounds like passenger rated tires would be just fine for your situation. Going to a wider tire is totally your call, just be aware that adding any more rubber will only decrease your fuel efficiency, if that matters to you.

I will be replacing my factory Goodyears with the same size in Cooper A/T3.

Don't think everyone out there has wider than stock tires. Yes, everyone posting about it does, but there are thousands of people who use this site who keep the stock size as well. Aside from looks, there isn't a whole lot of advantages to going bigger. Maybe in loose sand and deep mud you can keep it "floating" higher. How often do you encounter those? often enough to dictate a tire that you will drive 60,000+ miles on the street?

For traction on pavement, tire wear, noise, fuel efficiency, the stock size tires are your best bet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Sounds like passenger rated tires would be just fine for your situation. Going to a wider tire is totally your call, just be aware that adding any more rubber will only decrease your fuel efficiency, if that matters to you.

I will be replacing my factory Goodyears with the same size in Cooper A/T3.

Don't think everyone out there has wider than stock tires. Yes, everyone posting about it does, but there are thousands of people who use this site who keep the stock size as well. Aside from looks, there isn't a whole lot of advantages to going bigger. Maybe in loose sand and deep mud you can keep it "floating" higher. How often do you encounter those? often enough to dictate a tire that you will drive 60,000+ miles on the street?

For traction on pavement, tire wear, noise, fuel efficiency, the stock size tires are your best bet.

Thank you for that. Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking but figured i'd ask around and see what everyone's opinion was. I barely go off road and maybe next summer if I get the new tires by then it will be my first time driving all the way to outer banks in North Carolina to drive on the beach. 

I don't care about fuel economy. I previously had a GMC Envoy and that truck was worse on gas than my Silverado is. Like I told my girlfriend, I bought a SUV and a pickup for a purpose, not for fuel economy. If I wanted to have great fuel economy and not have a vehicle good for hauling things then I would have a rice burner like her Hyundai Accent. haha. 

The cooper A/T3's seem good except for the reviews for snow/ice are less than that of the Kuhmo's. I'm also debating on if I want to just leave the stock spare alone or maybe see if I can salvage one of the current TPMS sensors and throw it in the spare tire and possibly consider getting a new spare as well. I never rotate my tires to include the spare and am not blowing money on getting another aluminium rim for the spare so it matches the factory rims but just thinking since the spare tire is as bad as the SRA's and i'm not sure if it would be good to have a crap tire like that on the truck with the newer/better tires as it wouldn't really grab at all. Idk, just thinking in my head.

6 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

I'm also debating on if I want to just leave the stock spare alone or maybe see if I can salvage one of the current TPMS sensors and throw it in the spare tire and possibly consider getting a new spare as well. 

1. The guy from WI who plows snow thinks the Cooper A/T3 is good enough in snow. I had Cooper tires on my last truck and loved them, thats why i'm going back for more. 

2. I wouldn't spend a dime upgrading my spare. If I blow a tire and need my spare to limp home or to help, that's fine. I'll replace the good wheel then. Don't put an aluminum rim on the spare, it will just corrode.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aseibel said:

1. The guy from WI who plows snow thinks the Cooper A/T3 is good enough in snow. I had Cooper tires on my last truck and loved them, thats why i'm going back. 

2. I wouldn't spend a dime upgrading my spare. If I blow a tire and need my spare to limp home or to help, that's fine. I'll replace the good wheel then. Don't put an aluminum rim on the spare, it will just corrode.

My bad I didn't notice your picture haha. Good point. On my Envoy I had BFG's (the long trail T/A) and loved the tire. They were excellent even in deep snow. Never tried to go far off road with them though. 

I agree with the corrosion but at the same point all the steel on my truck is rusting from the tons of salt we put on the roads. I am debating on scraping and grinding off the rust on the frame and priming/painting it or just leaving it go. I tried to help the rusty frame on my Envoy and it was a disaster. It was rusting faster after I cleaned the frame off and put POR15 on it than it was before I tried to clean it up. Mine being a 2014 has the pathetic job of the wax dipped frame where newer ones are better for the coating (still wish they painted the frame).

2 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

I agree with the corrosion but at the same point all the steel on my truck is rusting from the tons of salt we put on the roads. I am debating on scraping and grinding off the rust on the frame and priming/painting it or just leaving it go. I tried to help the rusty frame on my Envoy and it was a disaster. It was rusting faster after I cleaned the frame off and put POR15 on it than it was before I tried to clean it up. Mine being a 2014 has the pathetic job of the wax dipped frame where newer ones are better for the coating (still wish they painted the frame).

You're just fighting a losing batter there. My frame is coated in rust too. Even though I park inside. 

You can buy a can of that wax coating that gm uses and reapply if you want. I know its been mentioned in other threads on here.

But that's a whole nother topic.

9 minutes ago, aseibel said:

You're just fighting a losing batter there. My frame is coated in rust too. Even though I park inside. 

You can buy a can of that wax coating that gm uses and reapply if you want. I know its been mentioned in other threads on here.

But that's a whole nother topic.

Oh yeah believe me it is. 

Did you get the same OEM TPMS sensors or did you get some other brand 315mHz sensors? I wish I could just ditch the TPMS sensors all together. I check my tires twice a month for pressure. 

4 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

Did you get the same OEM TPMS sensors or did you get some other brand 315mHz sensors? I wish I could just ditch the TPMS sensors all together. I check my tires twice a month for pressure. 

sorry, I'm no help there. My last truck didn't have sensors. I've never had to replace any yet.

I'd probly stick with OEM. I would trust them. I check my car tires often and its annoying. I like being able to get in my truck and know the tires are good.

The only one I wish that had a sensor is the spare just because it's a bit of an annoying pain to crawl under the truck just to check the pressure. Oh well. Mine thankfully isn't really rusted and doesn't leak. :D

• Like 1

When I put 275/65/18s on my truck, I used my Garmin GPS to check the speedometer accuracy since the 275s (32”) are about 1/2” taller than the stock 265/65/18 (31.5”). The speedometer is dead-on with the taller 275/65/18. The 275 is actually the same height as the optional 275/55/20 tires. 

Not all 315mhz TPMS sensors are the same. My 275s were on wheels with sensors that were on my ‘08 Silverado. The sensors seemed to work fine for a few days and then they started acting up and I was getting random low pressure warnings. I re-taught the sensors and they would again work for a few days before going haywire. I bought a new set of GM sensors on Amazon. Around 2012, GM changed to a different sensor.  

Edited by HoosierZ

Why are you worried about changing sensors on a 14?  My 08 caddy sensors were still the OEs when I traded it in January.  They lasted 10 years plus.  Unless you are having troubles with the existing sensors, I'd just leave them.  Maybe replace them when these new tires wear out.

14 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

Why are you worried about changing sensors on a 14?  My 08 caddy sensors were still the OEs when I traded it in January.  They lasted 10 years plus.  Unless you are having troubles with the existing sensors, I'd just leave them.  Maybe replace them when these new tires wear out.

I was just thinking to replace them when I get this next set of tires since they will be unmounted. I read mixed things online that it can last 10 years or so and wasn't exactly sure. I have the relearn tool but can't easily knock the tire off the bead and put a new sensor in at home so I didn't know if it is truly a waste to put new sensors in or just leave the factory ones alone. It probably doesn't cost much to leave them alone and if it does randomly die on the new set of tires have it unmounted and replaced and then remount the tire but I just don't want to have another rim leak issue from screwing around with the tire to replace a dead sensor.

If I can go 2 sets of tires on these factory sensors I will. I wish I had the higher level sensor tool to read how much battery life is left in each sensor.

I would recommend going up to the 275/65/18's you mentioned. A few companies even offer a LT rated, 6-ply, load range C in that size. That'll get you the stronger LT construction and deeper tread depth, while saving a little weight over a 10-ply, E-rated tire. I ran two different sets (Cooper & Toyo) of those on my last 1500 truck, and was pleased with them.