Infamous 8 Speed Transmission Clunk - Dealer/GM Current Position on the Issue?

On 2/19/2019 at 4:44 PM, Neal90 said:

My dealership tried to tell me the same thing then I sent them this

https://techlink.mynetworkcontent.com/?p=11127

at the end of it it states this

Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid is required for all 8-speed transmission repairs regardless of the repair being completed.”

The new fluid is a requirement not an option for ALL 8 speeds. 

I told it to the service writer just like that ( and I was polite) . Bringing g it sat to get the new fluid. 

Does anyone know if there doing this TSB 18-NA-355 here in Canada. My dealer called me yesterday after i complained to the owner about them booking me in and not doing the fluid exchange with the new Mobile 1 HP fluid. Service managed emailed me back and said they would do that TSB for me to give them another chance to make good. they also said they would give me a loaner truck while it was being done. Iam sceptical whether they even have this fluid yet here in canada. or are they just tring to get me in the service bay again. Can anyone confirm if GM has this fluid in stock here in Canada? Part number is 1935349 i beleive.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, 16SierraSLT said:

There is a class action law suit being initiated against GM for these faulty 8-speeds:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/auto-news/869062-gm-class-action-alleges-hard-shift-transmission-defect/

I own a 2016 Sierra SLT that I purchased brand new. I've had these problems since the truck was new.  Took the truck back to GMC multiple times and the problem was never fixed.  

I contacted Cohen Milstein by email and requested I be listed in the lawsuit.  They said someone will contact me shortly to gather more information about my experience. 

If you are having problems with your 8-speed, I suggest you reach out:

Jamie Galucci @ [email protected]
Paralegal to Steven G. Calamusa, Esq.
4114 Northlake Blvd, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
office: (561) 799-5070 fax: (561) 799-5040
www.fortheinjured.com

I was just contacted by Jamie, she was very knowledgeable and asked all the right questions. I would highly suggest anyone having 8 speed transmission problems email her, this is a legitimate law firm here in Florida. She is sending me the information they will need to add me to the law suit. I informed her that to date I have not been having consistent transmission problems with the exception of a few hard 1-2 shifts when cold, this just started last week and is not bad but will probably get worse. She requires the VIN, purchase agreement, to include any extended warranties purchased and any written documentation annotating the concerns to the dealership with any repair(s) performed or notes stating they can not duplicate it.

8 hours ago, SS502 said:

I was just contacted by Jamie, she was very knowledgeable and asked all the right questions. I would highly suggest anyone having 8 speed transmission problems email her, this is a legitimate law firm here in Florida. She is sending me the information they will need to add me to the law suit. I informed her that to date I have not been having consistent transmission problems with the exception of a few hard 1-2 shifts when cold, this just started last week and is not bad but will probably get worse. She requires the VIN, purchase agreement, to include any extended warranties purchased and any written documentation annotating the concerns to the dealership with any repair(s) performed or notes stating they can not duplicate it.

unfortunately Iam in Canada

22 hours ago, benelli said:

Does anyone know if there doing this TSB 18-NA-355 here in Canada. My dealer called me yesterday after i complained to the owner about them booking me in and not doing the fluid exchange with the new Mobile 1 HP fluid. Service managed emailed me back and said they would do that TSB for me to give them another chance to make good. they also said they would give me a loaner truck while it was being done. Iam sceptical whether they even have this fluid yet here in canada. or are they just tring to get me in the service bay again. Can anyone confirm if GM has this fluid in stock here in Canada? Part number is 1935349 i beleive.

Read the TSB link in the earlier post it  details availability at dealers in Canada 

On 2/11/2019 at 4:43 PM, 16SierraSLT said:

There is a class action law suit being initiated against GM for these faulty 8-speeds:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/auto-news/869062-gm-class-action-alleges-hard-shift-transmission-defect/

I own a 2016 Sierra SLT that I purchased brand new. I've had these problems since the truck was new.  Took the truck back to GMC multiple times and the problem was never fixed.  

I contacted Cohen Milstein by email and requested I be listed in the lawsuit.  They said someone will contact me shortly to gather more information about my experience. 

www.fortheinjured.com

Thank you for posting this info. I just got my brand new Sierra back from the dealership after having the triple flush done because of a bad vibration. Still within the 200 mile window and now it doesn’t shift right seems to get hung in between gears downshifting. So I’ll run the 200 miles as instructed and head back to the dealership for more “fixes”  55k truck only 2700 miles on it and appears to becoming a paper weight soon. Contacted the lawyer so hopefully I’ll hear back soon.

But thanks again for the info.

I'm getting it done Monday.They were going to charge me.I told them you better look into it.They had no idea what I was talking about.They called me later and said they would cover it.I'm in Windsor Ontario.

Edited by Cjc

(posted on another list already)

Anybody else have further issues on this? I have a 2018 1500 5.3l 8-speed. I have never had the higher speed shutter (50-60 mph), but more of a jerking motion when the truck is almost coming to a stop but barely rolling forward. It also tends to have a solid clunk even when lightly applying the throttle after coasting for a few seconds at city speeds. I got the newest full syntheic ATF put in a couple weeks ago, and no change. I have the E-assist model (which I'm annoyed by the start/stop feature), but not sure if that changes anything. Has anybody had similar behavior? Maybe had the torque converter replaced? Maybe a 2019 transmission or torque converter installed being that they redesigned it for 2019? Taking it into the dealer again next week and they are going to try and diagnose further and compare it to other trucks. My dealer in Watsonville, CA has actually been working with me very well on this issue. Any input?

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, Colossus said:

Alex-  if you've taken it to 2 dealers already and gotten the same answers, then there isn't going to be anything more the dealers are going to be able to do with you.  So continue your battle with GM Customer Care.  One suggestion though- There is a transmission expert that I trust and I would go get your their opinion on the matter.   if there is a fix that can be done, they might know about it, otherwise you are out of luck.  In this day anda ge, despite how much of our "hard earned" money we may pay for something, it is no guarantee to be trouble free.  Purchasing a vehicle, any make and model, is a gamble.  No guarantees.  it sucks.  I hate it too, but it is what it is.

Give Larry or Jeff a call at Larry's Automotive.  Jeff is a long time transmission repair guy and knows his stuff. They are a ways from Littleton, but it just might be worth it.

http://larrysautomotivewestminster.com/

Thanks, I appreciate that contact.  I may give him a shout at some point.   

And your point about 'no guarantees' is well taken.   Maybe some of my disappointment is driven by having owned two Fords (Explorer & Ranger) for 15 years with zero perfomance or operability problems. 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, Boardmember said:

OP you might have used disreputable in your subject title...either way, I refuse to believe this egregious issue is a one-off.   There appears (to me) to be one of the following:

1.  There’s no discovered fix,

2.   It’s too expensive to fix,

3.  A fix ruins GM’s EPA targets and therefore cannot be implemented.  

I had one. Now I drive a 6 speed.  I like it.  The 8sp transmission is infamous.  (I looked it up to make sure.)

Agreed.   Which was the intent of my original post.   Was my vehicle and outlier?  Or were my symptoms being experienced by other Sierra 1500 owners?  I have gotten into the habit of asking people who drive the same truck about their experience.  All of them cite the same problem.  Anecdotal data to be sure, but......

Also, one Service Rep told me 'off the record' they see an average of two vehicles per week with the problem.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:43 PM, 16SierraSLT said:

www.fortheinjured.com

Excellent!   Thank you so much for this information.

I will be contacting them as you suggest.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:03 PM, Linecapt said:

Does anyone think this would be covered under the powertrain warranty which I believe is longer than the 3yr/36k mi warranty, which I'm over?  

This is covered under powertrain, make sure your dealer does it under that and doesn't have you pay for the service, it'll be hundreds of dollars!

I just went to my dealership today to discuss my 8 speed issues.  My service guy took me in the back to talk with the transmission guy.  I really liked him, as soon as I started started explaining my shudder issues, he went on to tell me the other symptoms I'm likely feeling. I was like yep, yep, and yep.  He mentioned all the fixes GM has been trying and that this fluid swap is the latest fix.  Even though this new fluid is supposed to fix the issue, he said one of the best things you can do with these 8 speeds is more frequent trans flushes, for example instead of 100k, do it at 50k.  Everyone will have their own opinion on this,

They needed to confirm whether or not they received the tooling yet from GM, looks like they haven't performed this fix yet on any other 8 speeds.  Looks like I'll be the first one at this dealership lol.  Will follow up once my truck goes in.

They needed to confirm whether or not they received the tooling yet from GM, looks like they haven't performed this fix yet on any other 8 speeds.  Looks like I'll be the first one at this dealership lol.  Will follow up once my truck goes in.

My dealership was the same. Had to wait for the correct tools to perform the flush. They called me last Friday and said they were in. I go in tomorrow to get the flush. We’ll see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got mine flushed with the new fluid after they got the tools a few weeks ago. Hasn’t made a difference and still does the big clunk when I let off the throttle then back on, no matter how lightly I press it. I’m sure all of this is a programming issue, which sucks since they locked the TCM for 17-18. A black bear tune would have been epic. Debating getting a 15-16 TCM to get programmed 

5 hours ago, Jdub289f said:

Got mine flushed with the new fluid after they got the tools a few weeks ago. Hasn’t made a difference and still does the big clunk when I let off the throttle then back on, no matter how lightly I press it. I’m sure all of this is a programming issue, which sucks since they locked the TCM for 17-18. A black bear tune would have been epic. Debating getting a 15-16 TCM to get programmed 

Do you experience any other issues such as the shake/shudder etc....?