Infamous 8 Speed Transmission Clunk - Dealer/GM Current Position on the Issue?

Good Day All.

I own a 2016 GMC Sierra 5.3 V8 with equipped with the 8 speed transmission and 12,500 miles.  After about 6 months or so, I began to notice a distinct 'clunk' when upshifting at moderate to light acceleration.  Initially, I ignored it, since it was random and occurred relatively infrequently.   Since then, the hesitation & clunking has increased in frequency, especially on cold morning starts when taking the truck out after sitting overnight.  Subsequently, I did a search of this forum and others, and saw other 8 speed Sierra/Silverado owners were experiencing these same symptoms.

I then brougth the vehicle to two separate GMC dealerships for diagnosis and got the usual "we were unable to reproduce the problem", or "GM considers this normal operation" answers.

I then initiated a compliant with GM Customer Service, was assigned a case #, and over a month or so had to  escalate the issue twice due to slow response.  As of this morning, I was informed that:   "GM consders your complaint and description of symptoms as normal operation, therefore your case is being closed."

So, my question is this.   What is the consensus as to GM's current position on the 8 speed transmission performance issue as of this date?    The forum reseach I did earlier indicated a range of experiences including: "the dealer did nothing", "software reprogramming",  "a TSB will be forthcoming", "the dealer took apart my transmission apart",   etc etc.   I realize many threads exist on this topc.  I was hoping to get an update on recent experiences.

I just wanted to have my facts straight should I decide to continue the battle with GM.   My disappointment is rooted in the fact that the price sticker for my $57k truck didnt show transmission clunk as one of the options.

Thanks in advance.

The consensus is the same in all the other threads you searched, nothing has changed each situation and each dealer response is unique.

Not sure what to tell you but try another dealer? What makes it infamous? Is it like the infamous tire shake that less than probably 1% of the trucks exhibit?

Funny you bring up price, you didn't pay enough. If you had purchased the $60k truck it would be clunk free...

Tyler

• Like 2

It varies so much for the 8 speed. So many things it could be. Finding someone at the dealer proficient in the understanding of how the inside of one actually works is tough. Most out units in or just replace parts and pray for a fix. It’s hard to diagnose the 8 speed issues without seeing data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My truck did a lot of odd things like that.  I bought the Range AFM Disabler and it eliminated all of it.  I still may end up getting a tune at some point just to get the throttle a little more responsive.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, amxguy1970 said:

The consensus is the same in all the other threads you searched, nothing has changed each situation and each dealer response is unique.

Not sure what to tell you but try another dealer? What makes it infamous? Is it like the infamous tire shake that less than probably 1% of the trucks exhibit?

Funny you bring up price, you didn't pay enough. If you had purchased the $60k truck it would be clunk free...

Tyler

Um....   what makes it infamous?    How about the thread on similar GM truck transmission issues that stretches for 25 pages elsehwere on this forum?  How about GM stonewalling both through their dealerships (I've visited two) and via their Customer Care organization (they did nothing with my case after 1 month of back and forth)?  

And I'm unclear as to what you find humorous about GM selling premium priced vehicles fully aware they are equipped with transmission design faults.

But thanks for the insight on tire shake.  

alex

• Like 2

Alex-  if you've taken it to 2 dealers already and gotten the same answers, then there isn't going to be anything more the dealers are going to be able to do with you.  So continue your battle with GM Customer Care.  One suggestion though- There is a transmission expert that I trust and I would go get your their opinion on the matter.   if there is a fix that can be done, they might know about it, otherwise you are out of luck.  In this day anda ge, despite how much of our "hard earned" money we may pay for something, it is no guarantee to be trouble free.  Purchasing a vehicle, any make and model, is a gamble.  No guarantees.  it sucks.  I hate it too, but it is what it is.

Give Larry or Jeff a call at Larry's Automotive.  Jeff is a long time transmission repair guy and knows his stuff. They are a ways from Littleton, but it just might be worth it.

http://larrysautomotivewestminster.com/

3 hours ago, Abonino said:

Um....   what makes it infamous?    How about the thread on similar GM truck transmission issues that stretches for 25 pages elsehwere on this forum?  How about GM stonewalling both through their dealerships (I've visited two) and via their Customer Care organization (they did nothing with my case after 1 month of back and forth)?  

And I'm unclear as to what you find humorous about GM selling premium priced vehicles fully aware they are equipped with transmission design faults.

But thanks for the insight on tire shake.  

alex

You may have found a number of people with similar concerns on this forum but it doesn't make this an infamous problem.  The example of the shake is good and I'll add AFM issues.  New Silverado/Sierra pickups at my local GM dealership range in price from in the $30K range to the $80K range.  Price generally reflects more parts on the more expensive but does not indicate different quality for the same product.  If your truck is not operating properly be persistent and document issues specific to your truck.  If it is operating as intended according to your service adviser ask him/her to explain and perhaps demonstrate on another vehicle. I recommend that you do not use other people's issues to add support to your complaint.  This will only serve to detract from the specific nature of your complaint and probably enhance an argument for the "normal" side.

OP you might have used disreputable in your subject title...either way, I refuse to believe this egregious issue is a one-off.   There appears (to me) to be one of the following:

1.  There’s no discovered fix,

2.   It’s too expensive to fix,

3.  A fix ruins GM’s EPA targets and therefore cannot be implemented.  

I had one. Now I drive a 6 speed.  I like it.  The 8sp transmission is infamous.  (I looked it up to make sure.)

Edited by Boardmember
  • Like 2

My 8 speed was having one of it's good days on the way into work this morning.. .well... for upshifting at least.  Was shifting very smooth.  One or two times I was coming to a stop it clunked, not sure which shift it was doing.

Anyone annoyed with these 8 speeds when coming to a slow roll at a yield sign?  I always seem to get back on the gas while it's changing gears. 

Does anyone know if the powertrain warranty would cover the dealer going for a "ride along" to see if the trans is acting "normal" or not? My Bumper to Bumper is out.

3 hours ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

My 8 speed was having one of it's good days on the way into work this morning.. .well... for upshifting at least.  Was shifting very smooth.  One or two times I was coming to a stop it clunked, not sure which shift it was doing.

Anyone annoyed with these 8 speeds when coming to a slow roll at a yield sign?  I always seem to get back on the gas while it's changing gears. 

Does anyone know if the powertrain warranty would cover the dealer going for a "ride along" to see if the trans is acting "normal" or not? My Bumper to Bumper is out.

I would have no trouble requesting such a ride along at my dealership.  I encourage you to do this and be specific about the symptoms of your truck.  Do not go in suspecting GM is behind a cover-up on their 8 spds as suggested earlier.  Similar concerns can be found on this forum about previous transmissions with 4 and 6 spds.  The 8 spds may be infamous among those united by problems but not to the general public. They are designed to (and will) work properly.  There is a similar thread on this page and it took 6 months for the member to get his fixed.  (It took two years for me to get the oil loss issue in my last truck repaired.)  Keep notes about specific problems and be positive .  Don't give up until it truly works as designed.   

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

I would have no trouble requesting such a ride along at my dealership.  I encourage you to do this and be specific about the symptoms of your truck.  Do not go in suspecting GM is behind a cover-up on their 8 spds as suggested earlier.  Similar concerns can be found on this forum about previous transmissions with 4 and 6 spds.  The 8 spds may be infamous among those united by problems but not to the general public. They are designed to (and will) work properly.  There is a similar thread on this page and it took 6 months for the member to get his fixed.  (It took two years for me to get the oil loss issue in my last truck repaired.)  Keep notes about specific problems and be positive .  Don't give up until it truly works as designed.   

Thanks Donstar for the feedback.  I have very good rapport with my Service Advisor (so does my dad and grandma!) so yea this is just a conversation I need to bring up next oil change and be more serious about.  I casually brought it up last time and we had quick discussion but we ultimately both just kind of let it go.

I'm almost embarrassed when it's my turn to drive the guys to lunch on Friday and as the truck is shifting thru the gears I can visually see everyones heads bopping back and forth because of the surging or whatever lol. No one ever said anything to me at least 

42 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

I'm almost embarrassed when it's my turn to drive the guys to lunch on Friday and as the truck is shifting thru the gears I can visually see everyones heads bopping back and forth because of the surging or whatever lol. No one ever said anything to me at least 

Nothing to be embarrassed about if it is out of your control but this comment reminded me of the struggles many had with a manual transmission.  A rough, jerky ride was usually a reflection of driving skill and a potential cause for embarrassment!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scott.moody.9401 said:

In my case, I had the same issue. It was resolved with updated transmission software and a re-learn.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Was that the 16-NA-412? Or something else?

I only have trouble with the hard shift from 1 to 2, mine is going to the shop in the near future and would like to deal with it in one visit.