Range device

Has anyone with a 2014 or newer Silverado used the Range device (AFM Disabler) long term, 1 year or longer? Any codes or issues during that time?

Has anyone with a 2014 or newer Silverado used the Range device (AFM Disabler) long term, 1 year or longer? Any codes or issues during that time?

Had mine for a year. No issues day to day. Had a code come up once, but it was a communication error that escalated. Just your average computer needing a restart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put one on my 2017 last month, best purchase ive made so far. I put it on because the sound of my exhaust sounded terrible when it dropped down to 4 cylinders and i could feel it drop into 4 cylinders. Lifetime gas mileage on my truck before I put it on was 19.8 mpg, Ive had it on for 1500 miles now and am averaging 19.6 mpg now. I drive mostly all highway. So far no codes.

No issues or codes with the latest firmware on the Range device. Previous 8.1 firmware I think, I would get the odd code that cleared easily with the code reader I keep in the truck. It'd stop deactivating V4 as well if I let it go through 2 - 10 minute accessory position cycles without starting the engine (unplugging it would remedy this). As above latest firmware seems to haver things sorted out.

Had one in my '09 Sierra for 5+ years with no issue. Just bought a '16 Silverado and had the same Range unit sent in for a firmware upgrade and have been running it for four months, again with no issues whatsoever.

I need to get the firmware updated on mine.  I'm running Firmware 7.8 on my 2016 and its thrown a code 2 times since I got it around Christmas.  EASY to clear the code and the check engine light.  Unplug device, start vehicle with it unplugged and then plug it in after a couple minutes. It will send an ALL CLEAR and the check engine light will go away.  Like I said I need to send it in for the free updated firmware.  Great unit and works awesome killing that V4 crap.  

I don't have a range, but I used my Diablosport tuner to shut off AFM. I was having my transmission downshift randomly when coasting into the 30mph zone in town, slamming itself into second gear and locking it there, while throwing a CEL. It would say service stabilitrak and you needed to clear the code to get the trans out of 2nd gear. After the dealer replaced the 2nd TEHCM in the trans and it still didn't help with no other ideas from the dealer techs. So I started driving in manual mode, pre-emptively down shifting to 5th as I was coasting into town. Low and behold, no trans issues? Hmmm. Soon found out AFM is not active in M5 with the 6L80e. Bam! issue is with trans is gone, all caused remotely by some AFM glitch either in tuning or lifter issues internally. So I disabled the AFM with a Diablo and never had the problem again. Now I just have to get rid of the Shake...

Edited by 10SierraA.T.

I have used mine for 2 years now. No codes and works great. Fuel economy about the same with AFM disabled.

I agree with Jakeandbake18 on the horrible drone sound with the exhaust before installing the Range. I was concerned with doing a full tune and the warranty thing, so this seems like a great product to eliminate  the dreaded AFM V-4 nonsense.

Give it a try.

Hmm ... a buddy with a 2017 Tahoe just picked up a tuner to shut off AFM for under 70mph, adjust shifts and calculate for his 24” dubs ... thinking of getting a basic AFM delete and running in V8 mode all 24/7. This seems like what most People do, I’m not going to ‘tune’ it so I don’t see the need for a full tune.

Where are you guys picking these up? Any more threads on here that talk more in-depth about this product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Aaron1085 said:

Where are you guys picking these up? Any more threads on here that talk more in-depth about this product?

Here’s a search with threads about the Range 

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/search/?q=Range&type=forums_topic&nodes=169&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles

I ordered mine direct from Range when I bought mine. Can find them on EBay new and used also in the marketplace on here sometimes. Since your truck is a 14 you don’t necessarily need the latest update. Range has a program where you send it to them and they’ll update them and send t back to you. 

Just installed mine a couple days ago.  No codes or problems.  Just runs in V8 mode all the time.

Not enough time behind the wheel to give an accurate opinion on the RANGE.

• 3 months later...

I just “installed” the Range AFM disabler today, and it has made the truck definitely more pleasant to drive. Aside from my catback exhaust, I just like how the truck seems to hesitate and struggle with gears less without the v4 mode. I drove around in different scenarios, and I can see losing some mileage on the highway, but much of my driving is 40-50 with rolling hills and the AFM just annoyed me by constantly engaging -disengaging.  I also noticed that I got fewer weird, hesitating down shifts when coming to a stop with AFM disabled. Truthfully this is a small sample size of miles based upon one day, but I love the truck even more as long as the Range device continues  to work as it did today. I know the price is up there, but I like the idea of unplugging it when I need to go to the dealer. Just my two cents for now.  I paid 189 with free shipping directly from Range in order to get the newest version. So far so good. I’ll update in a few weeks. Take care. 

• Like 1

I get monthly On Star reports and occasionally it will tell me my diagnostics couldn't be completed possibly due to aftermarket additions. I know it doesn't alter the tune but something to keep in mind.