Service rear vision system message after LED install

Andrew McCutchen

Question

I own a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4. It came factory with a backup camera and rear parking assist. Two days ago I replaced my reverse light bulbs with LED bulbs and yesterday I came out to the truck to find a “service rear vision system” on my reverse camera and my reverse lights no longer light up.

BF9AB75B-CFE6-4788-85DF-CA9C85A25007.jpeg

Edited by txab

9 answers to this question

I'd go back and closely inspect your work again. A wire may have been pinched, cut, or shorted accidentally.  Either that, or there was a marginal connection to begin with, and just pulling on the tail light harness a bit separated the bad connection. I would imagine the camera wiring runs in the same harness with the tail light wiring.

6 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

I'd go back and closely inspect your work again. A wire may have been pinched, cut, or shorted accidentally.  Either that, or there was a marginal connection to begin with, and just pulling on the tail light harness a bit separated the bad connection. I would imagine the camera wiring runs in the same harness with the tail light wiring.

Just a bulb replacement. Lights worked after the install. No harnesses or wiring involved. 24 hours later i got this message with the bulbs no longer working. Tailights work fine just not the reverse lights. 

In order to remove the tail lights, you have to move the harness a bit, since the bulbs are connected to it. If there's a bad or broken connection, it doesn't take much. Usually when a problem surfaces just after work was performed, the focus in that area usually finds a problem.

These days anything is possible, though - might just be a coincidental failure of the camera.

I agree with diyer2 ^^^ - give that a shot.

Edited by Jsdirt

I would add that you should check fuses in the fuse box under hood and the panel in the dash.  If all are good, undo the changes you made, specifically put original bulbs back in to see if that fixes it. 

3 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

I would add that you should check fuses in the fuse box under hood and the panel in the dash.  If all are good, undo the changes you made, specifically put original bulbs back in to see if that fixes it. 

Will do thanks. Heard that other guys have had this issue with reverse light replacement. Not sure why. 

5 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

I’ll give that I shot. Thanks!

On 5/15/2018 at 7:52 AM, Andrew McCutchen said:

Did you end up finding out what the problem was.  I had the exact thing happen to me yesterday trying to install new led reverse bulbs.  Thanks!

On 5/15/2018 at 7:52 AM, Andrew McCutchen said: