Extended Warranty

Hello!  I have 500 miles to go until I reach my 36,000 on my 2016 GMC Sierra Denali  2500 Duramax 

I’ve not had one single issue on this truck. 

Do I buy an extended warranty or not? Dealer has one for 80k for 2900 from Allstate.

thoughts?

thank you in advance :)

Edited by Joannr24

I'd not do it.  extended warranties tend to not cover the crap that goes wrong.  Instead, put away a few hundred a month in a savings account specifically for your truck. 

Read the fine print.

I bought one for my (used) previous truck and found out later that I was required to change the oil every 4,000km. Yes, km not miles!

And the list of exceptions was even longer than my wife's weekend grocery shopping list.

Lesson learned.

so long

j-ten-ner

Most expensive thing to repair is powertrain.

6.6 Dmax powertrain warranty is 100,000 miles.

You can fix a lot of non-powertrain stuff for 2900. 

Insurance sellers to it for a profit, not for your benefit.  -- Meaning they no that they will take in more than they pay out.

Save your money.

Better yet start a separate account and every time you are offered extended warranty, put the premium in the account instead. 

It'll make a good secondary retirement account.

Over the years I've kept a lot of vehicles way way beyond the end of the warranty. 

Still never had one that made me regret not buying the extended warranty.  

It gets even better if once it's paid for you take the monthly payment amount and put it into the account too.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

I’m a firm believer of buying a extended warranty. With all of the electronics they have now days and they are very expensive to repair. I had to have a air conditioning door control motor replaced and the whole dash had to be removed for the repair. The cost of the repair would have cost me $1,800.00 if I had not purchased an extended warranty. I think the GM warranty is the best and shop around on line for the best deal. Not all dealers sell them for the same price, some sell them for $50.00 over their cost.

4 hours ago, djv1951 said:

This is where I bought mine. Very nice people to deal with

James E. Black Cadillac

3929 Admiral Peary Highway

Rt 22 WestEbensburg, Pa. 15931

Phone Numbers:
(814) 472-9550 Local

(877) 472-9550 Toll Free
(814) 472-4741 Fax

X2

The $2,900 figure quoted by OP is a hose job for sure.

Paid half that amount on my 2015 All Terrain 6.2 for 4 more years with 40K miles.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:01 PM, Joannr24 said:

Hello!  I have 500 miles to go until I reach my 36,000 on my 2016 GMC Sierra Denali  2500 Duramax 

I’ve not had one single issue on this truck. 

Do I buy an extended warranty or not? Dealer has one for 80k for 2900 from Allstate.

thoughts?

thank you in advance :)

You want to buy an extended warranty for 80K? Extended warranties are sucker sells at any price.

On 5/28/2018 at 10:17 PM, Lgetz said:

X2

The $2,900 figure quoted by OP is a hose job for sure.

Paid half that amount on my 2015 All Terrain 6.2 for 4 more years with 40K miles.

I just asked for a quote and they are ridiculous: over 3,000 for 60 months!! 

It is a crap shoot really.  I got one for my 2014 Cruze diesel and so far it just about paid for it's self in one visit.  My active shutters stopped working. Those puppies are expensive.  I paid I think $1,200 for and extra 5 yrs and up to 80k miles.  I got it just before my  3/36 warranty ran out.  I got it from James Black Chevrolet

Like posted above you have to read the fine print and see what all is covered.  I'm thinking of getting one for our Suburban because it has the magnetic ride and one strut for it is $450.