What is this keyhole

yes, well it's not quite as simple as just "unlocking the tire".

This lock covers the hole in the bumper where you insert the crank to lower the spare tire.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MY164X4 said:

Okay
dang that's kool.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

If this impresses you, you should read your manual.  There are all sorts of neat features on these trucks that aren't obvious.  There are also a couple of threads on this forum dedicated to tips and tricks with these trucks.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hizzo3 said:

Dang.. all that dirt can't be good for that mechanical linkage. Last thing you need when you need that spare is a gunked up lock.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You're right. Clean it out and spray it with a little WD-40 or something similar. Seen them rust up solid and have to be punched out.

• Like 1

While your at it what I do once a year is drop the spare, wash/clean everything up (including the undercarriage spot) lube the lock, cable, and assembly.  Because nothing pisses off the on call in the middle of the night tow truck driver more than a seized up spare that won’t come down or when they get it down it’s flat anyway... I say tow truck driver because that’s who you’ll end up calling after f’n around for an hour on the side of the interstate in the dark without a light in the rain trying to figure out how to do it yourself...

• Like 3

Yeah the undercarriage had a ton of mud not sure why?
Truck came out of Atlanta @ least that where I purchased from.
Maybe it was in a small flood Don't know.
Great truck but a lot of mud underneath.

Great point.
Brother

While your at it what I do once a year is drop the spare, wash/clean everything up (including the undercarriage spot) lube the lock, cable, and assembly.  Because nothing pisses off the on call in the middle of the night tow truck driver more than a seized up spare that won’t come down or when they get it down it’s flat anyway... I say tow truck driver because that’s who you’ll end up calling after f’n around for an hour on the side of the interstate in the dark without a light in the rain trying to figure out how to do it yourself...

39 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

I do this every spring on all three of my vehicles. I usually do it while I take the wheels off for a good post winter deep clean 

If this impresses you, you should read your manual.  There are all sorts of neat features on these trucks that aren't obvious.  There are also a couple of threads on this forum dedicated to tips and tricks with these trucks.

This forum would all but fail to exist if everyone read that little white book lol!

Hooksets are free...
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for the information.

First GMC Truck and I'm impressed with spare tire has a key lock mechanism.

That was slick.