2 week general oversavtions on my new truck

So, I've had my new 2018 almost 2 weeks and have about 600 miles on it.  Now that I'm getting used to it, the feel, the sounds, how it drives, here's a few observations (and maybe a "I want" list for Chevy to add to future trucks):

It's not as smooth as I expected it would be.  I know, it's a truck, but had plenty of others, and even my big Ram diesel was smoother.  There's some slight vibrations in the steering and at certain speeds, or under medium acceleration there's some vibrating or shuddering, albeit very slight.  I think the acceleration shuddering has more to do with the fact the 6.2 runs at such low RPM, it almost seems like it's lugging.  None of it excessive or to the level that I'd feel it needs to go the shop, it's not like that, it's just...noticeable.

The return spring on the gas pedal is stiff.  I find myself constantly slowing slightly and have to keep adding a little pedal to maintain speed.  Not a huge deal, but again, noticeable.

There's a strange sound in the exhaust, kind of like a hollow tin can sort of noise, not very loud, but with the air turned down and the radio off, it's noticeable.  It's not a whistle, but it's higher pitched than an exhaust rumble.  I'm sure it has something to do with the cat and the various exhaust emissions crap is causing it in the exhaust some where.

I've also noticed that when coming to a stop, like at a light or a stop sign, once I am slowed to a few miles per hour, the transmission makes a bit of a thunk as it shifts down into a lower gear (probably 1st or 2nd gear).  It doesn't do it every time, but when it does, it's definitely noticeable.

Now for the "I want" list:

I wish the transmission had selectable modes.  My Grand Cherokee had three modes I could put it in.  First, it had an "eco" mode.  This caused the transmission to try to upshift early to keep the revs down and it also activated the AFM (cuts off 4 cylinders under light load).  On the Jeep, this mode sucked.  Around town, it shifted too soon and lugged the engine (the 5.7 Hemi is peaky, it needs to rev a little to make some power).  The AFM was horrible on the highway.  Every time it turned off 4 of the cylinders the engine shuddered and rumbled enough to be annoying.  Fortunately, eco mode could be turned off with the push of a button.  It revved a little higher before shifts (but not significantly) and it turned off the AFM.  This was perfect for around town and daily driving.  It also had a "sport" mode that delayed shifts even more for more "spirited driving."  I used it a few times, but it's not a race car, so meh.  One thing it did have I liked was paddle shifters.  That was great to play with and was actually useful when towing.

I wish my truck had those same modes, or some way to change the shift patterns.  With the 6.2, it likes to stay at or below 2K on the tach and it tends to upshift quickly.  I'd like a little more rev as it goes through the gears with a lighter pedal input.  It'll definitely down shift and go when you really mash the pedal, but that's over kill.  Even just 500-600 more RPM between shifts would be great.  I tried tow/haul, but that's not what I'm after.

Definitely add the paddle shifters!   

Radio controls on the back of the steering wheel.  Change the left hand side from only working with "favorites" and allow it to just change the radio channel one station at a time.  I can do it with the cruise control up and down buttons, but then I have the DIC set to the radio.  I like to keep it on info, but then I can't use those buttons to control radio.

So, there we have it at this point.  DOn't get me wrong, loving the truck over all.

32 minutes ago, EDL said:

I've also noticed that when coming to a stop, like at a light or a stop sign, once I am slowed to a few miles per hour, the transmission makes a bit of a thunk as it shifts down into a lower gear (probably 1st or 2nd gear).  It doesn't do it every time, but when it does, it's definitely noticeable.

I've noticed this in mine as well.  2018 that I've had for about a month and a half and just over 2000 miles.

The other thing that's stood out to me is it sure seems to bounce quite a bit.  Going down the highway, if I hit a rolling bump, the truck will bounce several times.

Well I have the 5.3 but I can tell you I do sometimes experience the transmission thump when slowing down (sometimes). And I know it's  normal because I've experienced it in other GM pickups (not that it should happen). And it "fish bites" until it reaches operating temperature.

But as far as smoothness and quietness?? I think it's ridiculously quiet and smooth. Honestly took me a month to get used to it (felt like I was driving in my living room and I was falling asleep at the wheel. Scary).

But 7,500 miles in and I'm pretty happy so far. Just took it on a insane trip through Boston, Dorchester, Matapan...had to drive it like a taxi/race car. Thing was flawless. Able to quickly downshift when I needed it (and I needed it every five seconds). And as soon as I got back on the highway?? Right back to 26mpg easy cruising.

I know I'm in the minority here but I really like the AFM system. I know when/how to get it in and out of V4...I know when it's coming, how to avoid it, how to access it for fuel economy. I find once you kind of "get to know" your truck...it's transmission, it's sweet spot...and adapt to IT, you no longer waste time expecting it to adapt to YOU. I find this to be the case with every vehicle I've owned. Some are of course better than others. But I'm liking this one.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Doublebase said:

...I find once you kind of "get to know" your truck...it's transmission, it's sweet spot...and adapt to IT, you no longer waste time expecting it to adapt to YOU....

I know what you mean. I did the same with my transmission, I adapted to it.

But doesn't it strike you as odd that you have to adapt to new technology?

That's not my understanding of moving forward. It's a step back. I am the one who's calling the shots, not the new technology.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Thanks 1

Yea, me too. Hypertec, eliminate the cylinder deactivation, 6K redline, 50 percent TQ reduction, 130 top speed adjustment, E-85. Then it became a fun truck, it learned me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doublebase said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I really like the AFM system. I know when/how to get it in and out of V4...I know when it's coming, how to avoid it, how to access it for fuel economy. I find once you kind of "get to know" your truck...it's transmission, it's sweet spot...and adapt to IT, you no longer waste time expecting it to adapt to YOU. I find this to be the case with every vehicle I've owned. Some are of course better than others. But I'm liking this one.

Oh, I do like the AFM on the truck, when it shifts into v4, you don't even notice it.  On the Jeep, it caused the engine to shudder and was annoying.  That doesn't happen on the truck, so I like the AFM.

I just want the transmission to stretch it's legs a little more on the gears under light to medium acceleration and to not be in such a hurry to upshift. 

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Yea, me too. Hypertec, eliminate the cylinder deactivation, 6K redline, 50 percent TQ reduction, 130 top speed adjustment, E-85. Then it became a fun truck, it learned me.

Only problem with a tuner though, they void the warranty, or so I am told.  Some say they don't, so I don't know for sure, and don't want to find out the hard way.

Only problem with a tuner though, they void the warranty, or so I am told.  Some say they don't, so I don't know for sure, and don't want to find out the hard way.

I don’t buy without a deep discounts, so I figure I’m on house money. Only had one warranty claim, transmission in my Trailblazer ss. Dioblew Sport on that one, fixed under warranty.

21 hours ago, EDL said:

I just want the transmission to stretch it's legs a little more on the gears under light to medium acceleration and to not be in such a hurry to upshift. 

put it into tow/haul mode

I appreciate that when you compare your truck to a different brand and style of vehicle there will be some differences.  For me this is a good thing.   Paddle shifters, tri-mode transmissions, and dead quiet operation are great features for a car, imo.   I want to hear my truck and have some feel of the road.  My transmissions gave up shifting up or down precisely when I wanted about 18 years ago.  

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:53 PM, EDL said:

So, I've had my new 2018 almost 

Now for the "I want" list:

With the 6.2, it likes to stay at or below 2K on the tach and it tends to upshift quickly.  I'd like a little more rev as it goes through the gears with a lighter pedal input.  

So, there we have it at this point.  DOn't get me wrong, loving the truck over all.

This one may be part of the trucks learning curve. I have a 2015 6.2 A8 and when new I had to have the flash and flush done and it got pretty much rid of the light peddle flutter and the 2-1 downshift CLUNK. 

I have 32,000 miles on it now and if I give it medium/ hard gas from a standstill, and hold it, it will shift at about 5k. It's a way faster shift -sounds and feels great, just takes a big swallow of SUNOCO.