Oil change intervals

Back in 1988 we bought our first Ford diesel one ton, 7.3 C6 trans, 410 gear, 76 MPH was it. Dad drove it mostly pulled a prowler, largest at the time. Was a dog so was everything else. At 80K transmission was toast. We just started using synthetics and became an Amsoil dealer. So it was added to the rebuild transmission. Shortly there after we added a banks kit to the engine and put a overdrive to the tail of the C-6 transmission. He put 280K miles on the truck with no more transmission rebuilds. In 1995 we finally talk him into trading it in for a Texas stagecoach Chevy diesel 6.5. His first Chevy diesel and last, that’s another story. Synthetics work. As well as extended drains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm a firm believer in the synthetics and I do like Amsoil.  Before I got into racing boats, I owned and flew a powered paraglider for about 12 years.  The motor on my back was a 202cc 2-stroke made by a company in Italy called Simonini.  I bought it used and started running Amsoil Sabre 100:1 mix at 100:1 (one small bottle to 6 gallons of gas, actually worked out to like 98.6:1, but close enough).  I put over 1000 hours on that engine and never pulled the head off it in 12 years.  It never lost power, it never failed once in all that time.

I now use that same oil and mix in all my 2-stroke engines, except my race boat engine, but that's a different issue.  Unfortunately, that engine (a Japanese 2-cylinder racing engine made by Yamato) has a design issue that pretty much requires you to gunk the thing up with oil.  I run Quicksilver synthetic blend in it at 8 ounces per gallon of gas (pretty much what it's been fed its whole life).  My engine is somewhere around 40 years old and has only had rings and carb rebuilds its whole life.  We do have a few guys here and there that try various Amsoil oils and lighter mixes, but 99% of the time they end up breaking their motors.  It's just the nature of the beast with those things.

I'll be switching the truck over to Amsoil for engine and transmission once I get a few thousand on it.

• Like 1

We stated converting tractors ( prime movers) to run our products in the 80s. This required adding high pressure high flow pumps. Sometimes supply hoses would burst cavitation the pump usually causing it to fail. Synthetic Hydraulic oil eliminated that problem savings thousands in repairs and down time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EDL said:

How does that SuperTech stack up in terms of quality and performance compared to the big brands?

I’ve read it is a decent oil for your typical 5,000 mile oil changes. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MarcuM said:

When I say 50% I’m on the 2nd round of the olm

so I guess basically 11,250 miles on a oil change with mobile 1s 20k filter and oil 

what about changing trans fluids so often ?

Its only $25 for 5quarts of atf and 5 mind to suck out the pan but am I hurting it more then helping or just stick by the book ?

So you're doing simple drain and fills every 22,000 or so for the tranny?  Don't think you're going to hurt anything by dong that. Actually I think that's some pretty damn good preventive maintenance, you're essentially removing a portion of the fluid, keeping it replenished and clean, while not doing a complete flush. I've used this technique for many many years with great results. And many others do too. 

I forget if you mentioned how many miles are on your truck or if you have dropped the pan and changed the filter - depending on the mileage it might be a good idea to get that filter changed out at some point - then continue on with your drain and fills. Just my opinion.

Sounds like you have been replacing some of the transmission fluid regularly since the truck was new. I would definitely keep doing that. Just make absolutely sure that the fluid level is correct each time you do it. As for replacing the filter, I have never personally seen a plugged up transmission filter except on badly damaged transmission. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to replace the filter, but I don't think there will be any benefit from it. If you do pull the pan off, make sure you clean the magnet real well. 

If got 90k miles 

ive been doing the siphon and refill since 40k 

my fluid is never very pink though when I siphon it out it’s more on the crimson side with no burnt smell 

I’ve only ever towed a car 50miles  1 time in its life so far so not much towing 

I figured if I change 5quarts at a time eventually I’ll have 75% or better fluid changed 

If I knew for sure that the previous owner of my rig had replaced the transmission fluid regularly, I would probably drop the drain plug on my transmission and refill every oil change. That would be excessive, but so be it. The cleaner and fresher you can keep the fluid from day 1, the longer the transmission will last (theoretically). 

• Like 2

I’d like to think so too 

it’s only 10mins once you’ve got a setup together to run the tube down the dipstick and pump out 4-5quarts and then $25 or so for atf Fluid 

I’ve only had my truck 16months and it had 300 miles on it now I’ve put 90k on it so I know it’s not gonna last another 5-6yrs till it’s paid off from the bank lol

i got to Get at least 300k outta it before I go upside down on another trade in lol 

I change all my vehicles oil every 3K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.  I use Dexos 5w30 in the '17 Silverado and synthetic Super Tech in everything else except my plow truck, which gets whatever I find around the shop for free, Usually the oil in the 5 gallon buckets that the oil pumps drip into.  

I see way too many sludged up engines come through the shop following the OLM.   or people thinking hey can go 10K-15K on oil.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, qwank said:

I change all my vehicles oil every 3K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.  I use Dexos 5w30 in the '17 Silverado and synthetic Super Tech in everything else except my plow truck, which gets whatever I find around the shop for free, Usually the oil in the 5 gallon buckets that the oil pumps drip into.  

I see way too many sludged up engines come through the shop following the OLM.   or people thinking hey can go 10K-15K on oil.  

I like your style. Sounds like you know oil management very well. 

oil-man.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 1:54 PM, MarcuM said:

2016 5.3 6sp cc 1500 lt 

im still driving from wv to Georgia and back for work once a week  and I do a lot of setting parked in my truck just idling 

my engine hrs are 3000hrs@88000 miles 

I’ve been doing the mobile 1 20k filters and oil and changing it at about 50% after resetting my olm

Once during

the oil seems good I just wonder if the excessive idling and long distance highway only (not 85mph) miles is considered extreme use?

no towing just cruis control 70mph max for 550mile trips 

also I have been siphoning out 4-5 quarts of atf through the trans dipstick every other engine oil change since 45k miles I haven’t dropped the pan and was wondering if this was a safe practice to do from now on out or should I stop and let the trans oil get more miles on it ?

i just don’t wanna look back a yr from now and wonder if I caused something to wear faster when I could change the way I do things now 

thanks 

matt 

I have been going 10K-12K with oil analysis from Crapstone....Take it with a grain of salt....but it's fine!  Keeping tranny fluid fresh is always a plus!

On 7/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, EDL said:

How does that SuperTech stack up in terms of quality and performance compared to the big brands?

Supertech is a fine oil. On the diesel side, it is remarkably similar to Delvac in testing done by the Petroleum Quality Institute of America.  You can find a laundry list of both name brand and store brand oils that PQIA has tested.  It has been general knowledge that Warren Oil has been the primary blender of Supertech oils.  Warren is the largest blender in the U.S.   

Check out any oil you want at PQIA.......   http://pqiamerica.com

I just did the annual oil change on my 2015 2500.   I put on about 4100 miles since June 2017.  So, 13 months on the oil.  OLM still showed 45%.   Added no makeup oil in that year.  I use a Schaeffer 5w30 synthetic in it.  On my diesel truck, I use a Schaeffer 10w30 HDEO syn blend.  It gets 22,500 mile / 450 hr oil changes.  Has 856,000 miles on the engine now.  No major repairs.  Original injectors, turbo, fuel pump, etc.  Uses about 2 qt of oil over an oil change cycle.  It has a 10 gallon oil sump.  It takes a loss of one gallon to reach the add line on the stick.  Oil samples look as good as when the motor had 50,000 miles on it.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2