DanG

Question

I have a 2016 Colorado with the IO3.  It fails in different ways.  It usually happens first thing in the morning.  The longest it was locked up continuously lasted is 2 days.  It has been to a few dealers.  One was unable to reproduce the problem.  One reprogrammed it but then refused to try anything else and gave me a TSB that said repeated rebooting was normal operation.  Every time a dealer has touched it the problems cease for a period of time, once even for a month or 2.  It has sizzled and smoked up the cockpit once.  The newest dealer seems to be putting forth an honest effort.  They have actually changed the control panel.  It went 5 days of perfect operation and now spends 1 to 10 minutes rebooting, rebooting, rebooting... just about every other day.  After about 2 minutes, if the reboots continue that long, it dumps the time and the clock goes to 12:00.  It also, sometimes loses all radio station presets or worse sets several presets to just one station and locks up so no radio controls work at all.  I could live with it but I really miss the backup camera first thing in the morning and when the controls don't work sometimes I have left the volume too high.  My warranty will run out in another 3500 or so miles.  It has been this way from day 1.  It goes back into the shop again this week.  A clock and a radio apparently have so many different parts that they can't just replace them or even figure it out.    And, I have been told, the USB is strictly only a power plug for charging devices and has no other functions.  Is there any answer to the IO3 that won't cost me $1000?  After all I have already paid for this truck once.  The really sad part is, otherwise I love my little truck.  I want to save it so I can keep using it.

Update:  Dealer received word from GM.  This is a known problem with no known fix.  No further attempt at repair.

Edited by DanG
new information from manufacturer

2 answers to this question

No, only the control panel so far.  They say they are waiting for a call back from General Motors on what to do next.

Edited by DanG
Fat fingers