Paint Peeling 2014 Silverado, Need Advise Please

8 hours ago, DONWT15 said:

Probably not a good idea, that will get you Krylon lawn chair paint and Flex tape.

There are many repair shops in my area. I had some paint repaired on the side of a 2012 Jeep. A kid had scratched the hell out the whole side of the vehicle. 

The repair quotes averaged around $3,000. 

I found one place that quoted $300. 

He had the vehicle for 3 days. It came back looking absolutely perfect. That was 2 years ago, and it still looks perfect. He gave me the remaining portion of paint that was left over. It was a little metal can of paint, that he paid $80 for.

Cheap is not always bad. And bad is not always cheap.  

Edited by starman8tdc

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 4:27 PM, starman8tdc said:

After its fixed, try to park in the shade when possible. 

Don't use anything but car soap that is specifically designed for cars - don't use dish soap on your rig. 

Don't use pressure washers. 

Waxing your rig regularly will help to protect the paint. 

None of these things will prevent the problem OP is reporting. Not using a pressure washer *might* delay the peeling but it's going to happen anyway. This is a problem with the paint not adhering to the base metal. I can't believe this is still happening. We had an 80s Suburban that did this! Yes, this has been going on for 30+ years and it's evident GM has no intent to fix it at the factory level. I was washing my 2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali the other day and noticed several chips in the paint already. I just can't believe it. I'll be contacting them soon to, at least, get the complaint on file for when the real peeling starts.

• Like 2

the paint was peeling on the rockers of the drivers side door on my 2014 sierra, there was a TSB for it, and was repaired 1 day before the warranty expired. i was washing with a garden hose, not even a sprayer attachment and the paint literally fell right off. this is not a pressure washer issue!!! it is a paint adhering to the primer issue, bad prep work from the factory. the TSB called for sticking masking tape to the rockers, and pulling it off, if the paint came off with the tape they will peel and respray the door.

• Thanks 1

Took the truck to the dealer. They said they had no explanation of why it’s doing this. Just said it was (odd). But He said we will give you a good deal to fix it. $1400 to do a (PATCH) job, just fix the spots with no warranty. Or for $3800 strip the roof and door and then I would have a warranty. I’ll be shopping around for some more pricing. 

1 minute ago, rrmccabe said:

Have you tried their live Chat?  I used it a while back when I was having some dealer issues and they had me contact their customer experience manager inside the dealership. Bam, problem solved.

No but I will give it a shot. Thanks

Mine is the same exact color and is peeling in the same exact spot on the same exact door and the same exact year.  I brought it in and the service adviser said wow that doesn't seem right.  They had my truck for some other issues.  They came back and said sorry we can't help.  I called GM...they gave me a canned response.  The guy kept mentioning what he said when we talked earlier...but we never talked earlier.  I got another email from GM and they said if it wasn't resolved to call them.  I have called twice in the last month with no response.  I can't believe it's a 2014 and paint is peeling off.

• Like 1

People think that automotive paint shops always run smoothly but the fact is that there are constant problems with booth humidity conditions/silicone contamination/Paint or Primer cure issues with Ovens going down. It is a miracle that more vehicles do not have paint falling off and if you think GM is going to pull a entire shifts vehicles off and repaint them you have lost your mind LOL. Just the luck of the draw and no way to trace what the issue was when your truck was painted but something obviously happened that affected the paint quality. If some others out there are really seeing this same issue with this color paint they need to all get together and compare Build Dates you will probably see an exact match THEN GM might listen to your guys as a group and issue a repair order out to your dealer. Good Luck fellas. 

• Like 1

Once you’ve exhausted all options on who’s going to pay, probably you. I know it sucks. I’d go to the parts counter order matching paint in a rattle can. Clean the spot, tape off the spot, rag in one hand paint in other and paint. Do it in stages. Let it dry, cure, later a little rubbing compound. You don’t have anything to lose and you may get good results. You can always spend the big bucks later if that doesn’t work. I’ve had paint problems on the front, mainly from bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1