Paint Peeling 2014 Silverado, Need Advise Please

Once you’ve exhausted all options on who’s going to pay, probably you. I know it sucks. I’d go to the parts counter order matching paint in a rattle can. Clean the spot, tape off the spot, rag in one hand paint in other and paint. Do it in stages. Let it dry, cure, later a little rubbing compound. You don’t have anything to lose and you may get good results. You can always spend the big bucks later if that doesn’t work. I’ve had paint problems on the front, mainly from bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s exactly what I’m going to do on mine. Sucks but cheaper and it’s on the roof so no one will see it.

• Like 2

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but on a related note.  I've only seen this with white GM vehicles.  Are any other colors affected?  Also, about a week ago I saw an F-150 of the 09-14 style that was silver and was doing the same thing.  Since the OEM's use many of the same suppliers just wondering.  Is it a paint issue, primer issue, or a combination of both?  I am leaning toward a lighter color for my next truck, but not if this problem exists.

I know years ago there were lots of paint problems on American vehicles.  My dad had a charcoal gray 88 Ford F-150.  The whole cab roof and hood flaked and pealed within a couple years.  To Ford's credit they agreed to strip the old paint, prime and repaint the entire truck for $50 out of pocket to my dad.  Needless to say Dad jumped on that offer.  Truck was repainted and never had any issues.

Edited by Foghorn17
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Once you’ve exhausted all options on who’s going to pay, probably you. I know it sucks. I’d go to the parts counter order matching paint in a rattle can. Clean the spot, tape off the spot, rag in one hand paint in other and paint. Do it in stages. Let it dry, cure, later a little rubbing compound. You don’t have anything to lose and you may get good results. You can always spend the big bucks later if that doesn’t work. I’ve had paint problems on the front, mainly from bugs.

I believe that’s what I’m going to do at this point. Don’t want to fix the roof and door then it starts peeling somewhere else. I think I’ll just fix the spots to prevent any further damage and see if it happens anywhere else. If not then I will look at repainting the whole truck down the way. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Weird the door spot is identical to mine, along with many others. 

I just touched up mine to keep it from spreading. It was pretty small at first but i let it go and with washing it kept getting bigger.

If you have any spots peeling, touch it up asap.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Bodydrop33 said:

I have a 2018 Silverado paint is peeling on rear passenger door right by the window and i took it to the dealer and they said all the pearl white trucks are doing it and the dealer said the factory will not fix it 

Yup, seems to a the same spot. Apply touch-up paint before it spreads. Mine was tiny and i let it go, fonally was the size of a quarter then i touched it up, looks ugly so def catch it when its small.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 11:21 PM, NWI Denali said:

Maybe its the pictures, but that doesn't look like white diamond pearl to me. Looks like summit white.

It Looks summits white to me.  I have a summit white truck with the same issues the photos above.  In fact, I will attach a photo I took about 1 year ago.  Since then, it’s got worse and is on both sides.  I tried touch up paint, Doesn’t look great...

And now.... Also.... it’s peeling around the windshield.  I’m pretty pissed off, probably my last GM vehicle.  GM won’t do anything about it.  In fact, the woman told me that paint peeling on my truck was the first time they have heard of it.  I’ve seen YouTube videos of this issue, so GM is full of it.

55DA8A75-3767-4AF6-8E8D-65A9D12F3D3F.jpeg

Edited by Codere
Add photos

31 minutes ago, Codere said:

It Looks summits white to me.  I have a summit white truck with the same issues the photos above.  In fact, I will attach a photo I took about 1 year ago.  Since then, it’s got worse and is on both sides.  I tried touch up paint, Doesn’t look great...

And now.... Also.... it’s peeling around the windshield.  I’m pretty pissed off, probably my last GM vehicle.  GM won’t do anything about it.  In fact, the woman told me that paint peeling on my truck was the first time they have heard of it.  I’ve seen YouTube videos of this issue, so GM is full of it.

55DA8A75-3767-4AF6-8E8D-65A9D12F3D3F.jpeg

Here’s another photo

E2A13C10-7C7F-410B-8519-0D61146C3096.jpeg

Well this sucks, I have the 2018 Summit White as well...haven’t seen anything yet, but with this truck...I no longer believe I’ll be avoiding any of the issues because I’m special and take good care of the thing. Lol. 

So when it does happen, my options are touch up paint because the dealer won’t do anything?

Same thing as Codere but on driver side... (can’t upload pic)

2015 Sierra 2500hd

dealer can’t help, gm don’t care... estimate of 900$ to repaint the door...

edit: I looked at the other side and when touching de paint , I can feel a space between the paint and the truck. Like a bubble of air... I guess the other side will start peeling as soon I was or touch the other side...

F7F49CAC-CA61-4FB5-B3E8-C7A1F8645790.jpeg

Edited by LeGros2500hd
Added pix

On 2/4/2020 at 6:46 PM, LeGros2500hd said:

Same thing as Codere but on driver side... (can’t upload pic)

2015 Sierra 2500hd

dealer can’t help, gm don’t care... estimate of 900$ to repaint the door...

edit: I looked at the other side and when touching de paint , I can feel a space between the paint and the truck. Like a bubble of air... I guess the other side will start peeling as soon I was or touch the other side...

F7F49CAC-CA61-4FB5-B3E8-C7A1F8645790.jpeg

yes, same.  I would like to add.... when I did start to touch up paint, I used an AC Delco stick with a small brush, the pen included clear coat also.  When I started the process, as I brushed on the base coat product over the ecoat body, the existing topcoat layers peeled off.  It kept peeling as I kept trying to touch up, it was a nightmare.  

and as I said the same thing is happening around the windshield .....  you can see it pretty clearly between the glass and the frame.

So, I’m hesitating between fixing it myself (like you) , paid 900$ by door ( but somewhere else will peel) or trade it back...

do you regret trying to fix it yourself ? Have you ever consider to trade it for a none white truck and let someone else with this nightmare?

its winter here so I will not try to fix it myself ( don’t have garage) , but maybe it a time for a trade... but when I stick to number... I will pay as much taxes on a new truck then repainting my whole truck... why they don’t agreed it’s a factory issue... would be so simple and I will keep fate in GM...

16 hours ago, LeGros2500hd said:

So, I’m hesitating between fixing it myself (like you) , paid 900$ by door ( but somewhere else will peel) or trade it back...

do you regret trying to fix it yourself ? Have you ever consider to trade it for a none white truck and let someone else with this nightmare?

its winter here so I will not try to fix it myself ( don’t have garage) , but maybe it a time for a trade... but when I stick to number... I will pay as much taxes on a new truck then repainting my whole truck... why they don’t agreed it’s a factory issue... would be so simple and I will keep fate in GM...

I think you should still contact GM... at the very least to just complain and hopefully they would document yet another paint process issue.  They can’t ignore this forever.  The previous generation work vans... they have major peeling issues.  If not GM issue, it’s GM paint supplier issue.  The base coat (Or primer, not sure what their paint process is) is not bonding properly to the ecoat.  I don’t know what the issue is but they need to figure it out.  

I don’t know if I regret making my attempt to fix it.  I’m more mad that it happened in the first place.  I truly am curious if this is only a white issue or if it’s another color.  I’ve looked around in parking lots to see if others have this issue.  

It’s also hard for me to give you feedback about whether or not you should have it repainted.  As you said... if it fixes your current item, will it happen else where?  It’s a tough call, and I really wish you the best with what you decide. 

I’ve had this thought that I could two tone paint it... the entire top of the cab with a plastidip black.  But I am really nervous that the plastidip will peel the the paint more.  It seemed to peel off just like an eggshell.

for me, I’m just going to keep driving it and try not to worry about it anymore.  What makes me really mad is I really wanted to get the 3.0L diesel.  But I’m at that point where I don’t want to reward GM with anymore of my money.  I have mixed feelings......