Paint Peeling 2014 Silverado, Need Advise Please

So I have 2014 Silverado LTZ Diamond White Metallic, and during washing it this past weekend I noticed as I was spraying the truck off paint started peeling off the roof. Then also as I rinsed the passenger back door the same thing started happening. Seacrched the rest of the truck and I don’t see any other issues at this time. Anyone know if this is a common issue and should I try to get the spots fixed or look at re painting the whole truck? Thanks for any help. 

DFD42783-23F3-4936-8C12-1AA5451965FD.jpeg

1B6B36C6-8A1A-4952-915C-443A1164A141.jpeg

BA4A362B-C8DC-46B3-8A5E-B20EACFD4621.jpeg

My brothers 14 had very similar issues but his was bought used and before he pulled the trigger, the dealer fixed. I’d take it back and see what the dealer says.

Were you using a power washer? If so don’t tell them that. Those are not good to use on vehicles. I use a regular garden hose only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I bought this one used also a couple years ago. I hose wash it here at the house also, I try to stay away from pressure washers if I can. I’ll take it to a dealer and see what they say, I know it’s past the warranty stage just sucks that the paint is doing this on a 4 year old truck. 

I would shop around at different body shops. 

Many shops will quote prices from $1200 to $3500. 

Keep searching until you find one that says: $300 to fix everything. 

After its fixed, try to park in the shade when possible. 

Don't use anything but car soap that is specifically designed for cars - don't use dish soap on your rig. 

Don't use pressure washers. 

Waxing your rig regularly will help to protect the paint. 

Edited by starman8tdc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw this happen on a 70 Chevelle a week old. It was a primer prep issue. You are looking at two panels complete. I just had the lift gate on the wife's Terrain done for $600. Two doors on a Scion cost me $800. A quality shop is worth it $$$$ price. I had two other shops to the Scion the made it worse than is was when I brought it to them. This third guy can paint. 

• Thanks 1

So. My body shop who’s a family friend told me that the previous models 2007-2013 had this same issues. The issue is the paint never adhered to the primer. He said it was very common on the white trucks but he hadn’t seen it happen on the new styles. Im going to take mine by a dealership to see if they’ll remedy it even though I’m well past warranty. (I drive a lot) mines a 2015. He quoted me 1500 for both doors Bc they have to strip the trim then completely strip all the paint and repaint.

• Thanks 1

I guess I’ll take mine to the Dealer and also to a couple more reputable shops and see what they say. I’m afraid the rest of the truck may start doing this. Also Ichie123 that’s what I was thinking it looked like the paint didn’t adhere to the primer correctly. 

i had a few rock chips on my front bumper...and that damn power washer made them bigger.. peeled the paint right up... .. no more power washers for me~.. .grr hard lesson learned... still need to get some touchup paint....

• Thanks 1

There is no cheap paint fix for white diamond.  First of all there is an extra layer of paint that need to be applied and they need to blend it much further across the panel to make it match. Pearls are always a challenge. That reminds me of the 80s when GM and Ford had paint coming off the trucks in sheets because it was not bonding to the new primers they were using.

I would think the dealer might do something about that.

And as far as I am concerned if a pressure washer takes paint off, there is something wrong with it to start with. Its not a fault of the pressure washer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a paint/primer issue, not a washing issue.     Assuming it is the original factory paint, it's worth talking to the dealer and/or contacting GM in search of assistance.   

If you're stuck doing the repairs yourself, I'd be tempted to try a spray can touchup.   See if you can live with that for awhile, deferring the full paint job until the whole truck could use a refresh.   There's nothing worse than running to the body shop for every little defect, knowing that more damage is always just around the corner.

• Thanks 1

Yeah don67 it is the factory paint. I’m going to take it to the dealer next week when I’m off. Hopefully they will help with this issue. I contacted GM a few days ago but got no response. We will see what they say but in my opinion paint should last a lot longer than 4 years. 

On 7/17/2018 at 7:27 PM, starman8tdc said:

Keep searching until you find one that says: $300 to fix everything.

Probably not a good idea, that will get you Krylon lawn chair paint and Flex tape.

• Like 2