Aftermarket Brake kit

Who has what company for an aftermarket brake kit installed? Pro's and Con's to the kit?

I am going to add better braking to my truck, and I'm looking for info that myself, and others can use in the future, so please add as detailed of information as you can.

For me, I have tuned the truck, went to a slightly heavier tire/rim combo, plus I tow, and at times, I will have my sons KTM on the front hitch, and my 570 in the bed. So, all of these reasons are in need of better braking...

I'll be getting the GM Brembo kit.  Part number 84263234.  It's expensive but I've seen them on ebay for around $1600.  6 piston calipers and 16'' rotors.   

6 hours ago, Nasty said:

That kit is only for the front ibelive.  That would bug me.  Im doing wilwoods

The higher the center of gravity the more you bias you need to the front. Pretty darn high on our trucks.

Rears would be pretty important while towing/hauling though.

54 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

The higher the center of gravity the more you bias you need to the front. Pretty darn high on our trucks.

Rears would be pretty important while towing/hauling though.

Agreed. Im Just saying if i only seen the kit on the front that would bug me not having it look all the same.  

• Like 2

I have the 6 piston Wilwood 14.25" fronts.  Stock rears.   I wanted to keep 18" wheels to have larger sidewalls than the 20" wheels have with 33" diameter tires. 16" brakes won't clear  18s.

Also, my thought is that the pedal pressure requirement is pretty high on our trucks for hard braking.  If you're serious about an upgrade, look into putting a Hydra-boost system on it like the HD trucks.  That would require adding a pump, since our trucks don't have a powersteering pump.  My approach would be to just buy all the HD brackets, pump, hoses, booster, master cylinder, etc..

Edited by Spurshot

37 minutes ago, Spurshot said:

I have the 6 piston Wilwood 14.25" fronts.  Stock rears.   I wanted to keep 18" wheels to have larger sidewalls than the 20" wheels have with 33" diameter tires. 16" brakes won't clear  18s.

Also, my thought is that the pedal pressure requirement is pretty high on our trucks for hard braking.  If you're serious about an upgrade, look into putting a Hydra-boost system on it like the HD trucks.  That would require adding a pump, since our trucks don't have a powersteering pump.  My approach would be to just buy all the HD brackets, pump, hoses, booster, master cylinder, etc..

Wilwood makes 2 kits. 20" or larger and 18 or larger.    But twisted metal works is coming out with a kit for 15" or larger rears which i eill need because im running 15s in the near future out back

15 hours ago, 6.2Midnight said:

I see that part number is only the front. Do you have the rear part number as well?

16.1" rotors is all you need trust me, rears won't do as much as you think anyways adds huge cost to the vehicle. Wilwood kit is about the same price as GM, Id run factory GM 16.1" 6 piston brakes over aftermarket any day. I run OEM on my CTS-V works just fine and I get parts easy. Amazon is running 20% off right now on some GM consumables, picked up filters, brake pads etc... for vehicles. 

Brembo is a highly trusted brand,  they are on just about every high performance vehicle you can name, Wilwood comes in as aftermarket class brakes. I myself and even loads of others retro fit Brembo brakes on vehicles more than Wilwoods.

you need a 20"+ spare wheel and tire as well, people always forget to upgrade spare when they do brakes.  Save yourself a headache buy the GM and get a 20" spare wheel and tire. its expensive b/c its worth it. geez you should see what Mercedes Benz charges for the exact same Brembo brakes.

Now that the 2019's are out, the fronts have fix piston front calipers, might what to look into those for a budget build with parts availability for a long time. 

Edited by 05SIERRAMAN

The GM Brembo kit is a massive, quality upgrade.  I looked on ebay and can't find them anywhere close to $1600 (partial kits and used parts was all I could find), for that they'd be a steal and I'd definitely go that way. 

The Eradispeed upgrade is probably the best bang for the buck.  It comes out to about $500 more per axle than simply replacing your rotors with new OEM.  The added size of the front 15" rotors (and directional cooling vanes) will provide a real improvement in performance (though nothing like the Brembo kit) for relatively little.   It's a good option to have.

18 minutes ago, 05SIERRAMAN said:

Now that the 2019's are out, the fronts have fix piston front calipers, might what to look into those for a budget build with parts availability for a long time. 

Yeah, I'm hoping they kept the same offset and bolt spacing for the new 4-piston calipers.  So much better than sliding calipers....    Those calipers and the Eradispeed upgraded rotors might make for a really good setup that could be put together cheaply once 2019 replacement calipers are available.