Sierra/Silverado vs. RAM 1500

First time truck buyer - need some educated opinions. I'm currently driving $110K Mercedes GLS550 but I need much more towing power (above 7500 lbs provided by GLS or other SUVs) - so I'm looking at full-size trucks. Coming from GLS550 i'm looking at top 2019 trims at all major brands (F150 Limited, High Country, Denali, Limited/Longhorn). They all priced the same (more or less), have similar reliability and all major characteristics (towing, engines, transmissions, etc.). 

I've seen all trucks live (except for Denali), driven F150, LTZ and RAM 1500 Limited... I'm quite perplexed. RAM 1500 Limited/Longhorn interior is on par or **better** than my GLS550 in terms of quality, fit & finish and **especially** materials. I'm quite frankly shocked that $65K truck is more luxurious than my 2016 GLS550 I paid $110K for. On the other hand - LTZ has all the quality of $20K Kia with cheap plastics everywhere, ugly carpeting work, cost-saving-on-everything feel and 1990s leather upholstery. Has anyone at GM seen the floor-mats in RAM 1500?!? Even F150 Limited is a generation ahead of new Silverado/Sierra on interior. RAM 1500 also drives better than my GLS550 on regular roads (potholes, etc.) - it's less jarring and more isolated. 

So my question is: what am I missing since Silverado/Sierra are such strong sellers and more popular than RAM 1500 (and close to F150). Am I paying too much attention to interior or being too snobby?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mk61hacker said:

First time truck buyer - need some educated opinions. I'm currently driving $110K Mercedes GLS550 but I need much more towing power (above 7500 lbs provided by GLS or other SUVs) - so I'm looking at full-size trucks. Coming from GLS550 i'm looking at top 2019 trims at all major brands (F150 Limited, High Country, Denali, Limited/Longhorn). They all priced the same (more or less), have similar reliability and all major characteristics (towing, engines, transmissions, etc.). 

I've seen all trucks live (except for Denali), driven F150, LTZ and RAM 1500 Limited... I'm quite perplexed. RAM 1500 Limited/Longhorn interior is on par or **better** than my GLS550 in terms of quality, fit & finish and **especially** materials. I'm quite frankly shocked that $65K truck is more luxurious than my 2016 GLS550 I paid $110K for. On the other hand - LTZ has all the quality of $20K Kia with cheap plastics everywhere, ugly carpeting work, cost-saving-on-everything feel and 1990s leather upholstery. Has anyone at GM seen the floor-mats in RAM 1500?!? Even F150 Limited is a generation ahead of new Silverado/Sierra on interior. RAM 1500 also drives better than my GLS550 on regular roads (potholes, etc.) - it's less jarring and more isolated. 

So my question is: what am I missing since Silverado/Sierra are such strong sellers and more popular than RAM 1500 (and close to F150). Am I paying too much attention to interior or being too snobby?

Hey troll, keep the Ram you already have.  

Thanks for the laugh, douche.  

Edited by shift_grind
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Snobby, yes... The reason why they are strong sellers it is because of the actual truck stuff, what you should really be paying attention to... All the soft leather and car like interiors do nothing with towing 10klbs for the next 10 years reliability. Most the belly aching is from luxury car owners stepping up to a truck and forgetting about the truck stuff (also why they are getting so expensive for the regular working folk).

Tyler

• Like 1

Yes, I've held off buying a new truck and waited for the new Silverado for a variety of reasons:

1. My 2002 Tahoe with 225k miles still runs great with the original 5.3 and transmission.  No major repairs. - GM drivetrain reliability

2. Ram electronics are a known to have gremlins.  Yes that 12" screen looks great...when it's working.  The hemi is known for its "hemi tick" And the 19 Hemi is getting some terrible fuel economy averages.  Check Fuelly.  Technology can be a nuisance when glitches are common.  

3. F150 is great truck but it has its issues as well, ecoboost failures, 5.0 not quite big enough to get the job done, panel fitment, dash warping, cabin water leaks, have to get Lariat trim to get back arm rest, rear seat is too low in crew cabs, truck hops like a bunny when going over rough pavement, railroad tracks, and gravel roads. Ride is the worst of all full size trucks.

4. Tundra gets a bad rep with it being around in essentially the same platform since 2007 but other than poor fuel economy and random cam tower oil leaks (mostly 2015-2016 models) the truck is solid.  The 2018's in all trim levels come standard with dynamic radar cruise control, lane departure alert, pedestrian detection, auto high beams, and sway warning.  

5. GM addressed some of the issues I had with the 2014-2018 generation, no pass through rear air vent, driveline vibration issues, and uncomfortable/poor support seats,  I wish the active safety features were available across all trim lines.  

I'd say the folks that go with GM do so because 1) Brand loyalty 2) Driveline Reliability 3) Ride and overall comfort 4) Fuel Economy

Edited by lrtexasman

ok I'll bit ...    I have had new GM trucks every 2 years for a long time. I was about to order the new 2019 RAM limited last week.. because yes, it is light years ahead of the 2019 GM trucks. 

However, I got scared after following the RAM forums.  Too many issues to list, but the bottom like it the new RAM has a lot of bugs that need to worked out.  And because it's brand new the dealers can't fix most of the issues.   I  think I'm going to get a 2019 Silverado RST and sit tight for a while.. 

Edited by GMC-AT
  • Like 1

I am looking to buy a new 1500 class pickup and have spent more time than I like to think researching what is available. The trucks with the best ride and with the most configuration options are the RAM 1500 trucks. But, and it is a big but, when I researched owners complaints I often found posts by people with new or months old trucks that had an engine or transmission failure and waited months to get the parts needed and the repairs performed. I found the same with the Jeep SUV vehicles which is why I bought a Traverse instead of a Grand Cherokee.

The Ford trucks have a similar notoriety in terms of owners with relatively new trucks that have the doors pop open on the highway and Ford has yet to provide a fix or with leaking cabs and windows and Ford taking the position that this is not covered under warranty. That scratched Ford off my list.

So I am down to the new 2019 Silverado 1500 or waiting for the 2020 Toyota Tundra which will be released in the fall of 2019. I am reluctant to be a pioneer (the guys with the arrows in their backs as the old saying goes) owner of a new platform truck from anyone.  I bought a Silverado 2500HD Duramax in 2011 and I dealt with all the service bulletins and extra trips to the dealer for the first 18 months. There is still an outstanding recall for the airbags that GM has chosen to ignore for the past two years.

The 2017 Silverado 1500 truck has a reputation for the Chevy Shake and dealers along with GM have not been able to provide a remedy for owners. And once you buy the truck you own the problems and not GM/Chevrolet.

The pickups with the fewest reported problems are the ones from Toyota. I no longer need the 4,000 lb payload capacity of my 2500 truck nor its 17,200 lb towing capacity and so the Toyota Tundra is at the top of my list. I have put over 180,000 road and off road miles on each of the five Toyota Hi-Lux trucks and never had a component failure and when I sold them the gear box was solid as was the steering and every single component worked as when the trucks were new. I only had to make scheduled repairs with new timing belts or new clutches or new brakes.

In 6 months it will be more apparent if there are any significant problems with the 2019 Silverado 1500 trucks and which ones it may be wise to avoid based on the engine or transmission or accessories installed. If I had to buy something today it would be a 2018 Tundra as it would be the lowest risk choice. Toyota does a full revamp of its trucks every 7 years which is why I plan to hold onto my 2011 2500HD Duramax pickup until next fall.

1 hour ago, GMC-AT said:

ok I'll bit ...    I have had new GM trucks every 2 years for a long time. I was about to order the new 2019 RAM limited last week.. because yes, it is light years ahead of the 2019 GM trucks. 

However, I got scared after following the RAM forums.  Too many issues to list, but the bottom like it the new RAM has a lot of bugs that need to worked out.  And because it's brand new the dealers can't fix most of the issues.   I  think I'm going to get a 2019 Silverado RST and sit tight for a while.. 

Course you did?  What were you thinking?  Buy the Ram by all means!  The 2019 SIlvy will kick it's ass...Get over the Dash!  Nothing is easier to use or more reliable and I bet it looks pretty good in real life too?

The Ram has a nice interior lets all agree to that, but the GM's are light years ahead of ram in powertrain and engineering. I'm a 16 Ram owner and can attest to the "gremlins" these trucks have.....keep in mind mine isn't even the fully loaded model and is ahem...8 years into its current production run! I might have given Ram a chance for my new truck this year but they totally lack with ANY innovation or improvement under the hood. In fact Ram is well behind Ford and GM in engine offerings, behind on transmissions, and behind on choices under the hood. While I love the look of the Rams dash/trimmings the rest of the truck is a letdown.

So at the end of the day if you simply want a nice place to sit, a good ride, and totally anonymous styling buy the Ram. If you want/need a truck buy the GM. 

• Like 1

There is no comparison between the trucks. The RAM is a half decade to a full decade ahead of the GM product (outside of the power train). I prefer the GM powertrain but people act like Ram hasnt innovated. Ram just invested differently than GM and Ford. Ram invested in E-Torque and echo diesels. I personally dont like either technology but it isnt like they've been stagnant. Their powertrains are not what most truck buyers want and thats why they get a lot of push back.

FCA quality is garbage, however. I challenge anyone to review any FCA products technical/repair forum and watch how fast the threads grow. If you want to watch a train wreck in motion log onto the new JL Wrangler forums technical section. I feel bad for the people that bought the JL wrangler and I truly believe FCA doesnt care about quality one bit. The Ram limited is no different. All of their products appear to have rust problems, electronic gremlins and poor welds.

You absolutely sacrifice technology,  options and luxury with the GM products. You ave a better chance of staying on the road with the GM product, however. If FCA ever improves their quality, which they wont, it will be game over for GM. They will slide back into 3rd place for the truck market if they dont have a massive overhaul. I will buy a GM product this go around but I will be watching Ram very closely for the next purchase.

Edited by Chris walker
  • Like 1

You know what they say...…   YOU CAN PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG, BUT IT"S STILL A PIG

18 hours ago, mk61hacker said:

Untitled-2.thumb.png.a8daea38c483527c54cb3c5dfdd957a7.png

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

You know what they say...…   YOU CAN PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG, BUT IT"S STILL A PIG

Untitled-2.thumb.png.a8daea38c483527c54cb3c5dfdd957a7.png

Looks are always subjective. 

Like you said you will be sticking to your 14 ..odd, you hang out in the 19 section alot though :) 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, captain chaos said:

The Ram has a nice interior lets all agree to that, but the GM's are light years ahead of ram in powertrain and engineering. I'm a 16 Ram owner and can attest to the "gremlins" these trucks have.....keep in mind mine isn't even the fully loaded model and is ahem...8 years into its current production run! I might have given Ram a chance for my new truck this year but they totally lack with ANY innovation or improvement under the hood. In fact Ram is well behind Ford and GM in engine offerings, behind on transmissions, and behind on choices under the hood. While I love the look of the Rams dash/trimmings the rest of the truck is a letdown.

So at the end of the day if you simply want a nice place to sit, a good ride, and totally anonymous styling buy the Ram. If you want/need a truck buy the GM. 

Amen Brother!  nuf said!

I have no need at this time for an upgrade to a 2019. 

Just because a new platform rolls out, we should jump on board and upgrade?

This theory is what drives the truck prices this day and age.

I think the T1 overall is a big step up for GM.

Odd to hang out on a particular thread or topic?

Isn't that what this site is about? I enjoy reading and posting in all topics related to my interests.

After-all, this is a GM Forum. I just find it funny that some come here to rant and rave about RAM.

There is a RAM forum for that.

What about Ford? Surely there should be some praises and pictures of new F-150's as well right?

:)

10 hours ago, captain chaos said:

6 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Amen Brother!  nuf said!

Hence my Lipstick on a Pig thought  LOL