Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover???

1 minute ago, DominatorZ71 said:

It's very hard to get something to stay completely dry especially something that is retractable

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hear you. On my 14 Silverado I had a Leer fiberglas cover. It was dry as a bone not a single drop of water under any circumstance. But it was ugly and limited the usefulness of the bed to much. Now I just picked up a new 18 Sierra and have decided the retractable covers are what I am doing this time. The big question for me is if I am traveling and throw our luggage and bedding in the bed under the Bak brand cover is everything going to get wet if I drive through some heavy rain? 

Not if secured to the middle. Roll N locks have two drains at the box and occasionally water gets in at the corners of the back of the bed. No water ever got in the middle

I hear you. On my 14 Silverado I had a Leer fiberglas cover. It was dry as a bone not a single drop of water under any circumstance. But it was ugly and limited the usefulness of the bed to much. Now I just picked up a new 18 Sierra and have decided the retractable covers are what I am doing this time. The big question for me is if I am traveling and throw our luggage and bedding in the bed under the Bak brand cover is everything going to get wet if I drive through some heavy rain? 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ltz73 said:

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a retractable cover. Just want to make sure I chose the right one. I keep circling back to the Bak Vortrak cover, just seems like the best bang for the buck. And I love the ultra low profile it provides. How good has yours been at keeping water out of the bed. That is my biggest hang up,I need the bed and it’s conten to stay completely dry when it is closed.

I can't speak for the Bak Vortrak, but my Bak Revolver X2 has been awesome at keeping water out. The only spot where water gets in is at the hand grip openings by the tail gate - which is not the fault of any cover manufacturer. I like to use them when stepping on the bumper corner and into the bed, so I didn't cover them. If you get covers, then you should be completely dry. Also, keep in mind it only gets wet when I power wash the truck or it's a torrential down pour. Normal rain does not get in. Some reviews for the Revolver X2 claim the seals were rolled too tight for shipping so they didn't 'seat' properly and let a little water in. Bak sent new seals free of charge to anyone who reached out.

If you're really worried about water, you could get a heavy duty bed mat (link below). The water that gets in from the hand openings, even when power washed, is so minimal that it stays in the first ridge of the bed. I wouldn't qualify it as a puddle, it just trickles down the side of the bed into a small spot at the bottom. The water would just rest under the bed mat. I've traveled with weekend bags and suitcases through rain and never had any get wet, and that's without a mat. If you get the hand opening covers then it's even more water security.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU7NL8/?coliid=I13VMKBYYYGE0P&colid=31H236F8HU8Y8&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by midwestdenaliguy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Those are awesome covers, but I just couldn't justify spending $1100-$1200 (sounds like you're getting a great deal though). I think the next best option is what I got, the Bak Industries Aluminum Roll-up cover. When rolled up you can still see out of the back window, and when it's covering your bed it can hold 500 pounds on it and can't be cut by a thief. It's also $500 cheaper than a Roll N Lock, currently $828 on Amazon. Thought I'd let you know in case your deal falls through. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YVJ376U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had my Bak Alum Roll up cover since 2016.  Its fits nicely and looks great.  Rolled up, it doesn't block my rear window.  Is locked in place when the tail gate is locked.  

• Like 2

Tonneau or bed covers including camper shell are not only useful but they also provide aerodynamic especially for speed above 70-80mph. Unfortunately, only few are driving at that speeds. I did a math calculation. If one drives a lot on freeway at high speeds,  within 12 years, the gas savings from eleminating wind resistance actually pay for the bed covers themselves. 

Anyhow, I wish Roll-n-lock manufacturer redesign with a storage compartment on top or make a mount-on lockable 4” storage tray where we can store some light tools, gears, equipment, and especially fishing rods and rifles storage for sport hunters. If there is one and reasonable price, I will buy one.

B48C623A-D45E-46FF-8399-A34848971B7E.jpeg

12 minutes ago, iPhonez71 said:

Tonneau or bed covers including camper shell are not only useful but they also provide aerodynamic especially for speed above 70-80mph. Unfortunately, only few are driving at that speeds. I did a math calculation. If one drives a lot on freeway at high speeds,  within 12 years, the gas savings from eleminating wind resistance actually pay for the bed covers themselves. 

Anyhow, I wish Roll-n-lock manufacturer redesign with a storage compartment on top or make a mount-on lockable 4” storage tray where we can store some light tools, gears, equipment, and especially fishing rods and rifles storage for sport hunters. If there is one and reasonable price, I will buy one.

B48C623A-D45E-46FF-8399-A34848971B7E.jpeg

I am supposed to meet with the guy on Saturday to check it out. Have you seen the E-series? it looks like it can be controlled with a remote so you could probably just lock all your stuff up and just take the remote with you...

15 minutes ago, jlozan2 said:

I am supposed to meet with the guy on Saturday to check it out. Have you seen the E-series? it looks like it can be controlled with a remote so you could probably just lock all your stuff up and just take the remote with you...

No, I have not seen the E-Series. Remote control is great operating with ease, but I think there are times it can be inconvenient when our hands are dirty and we have to touch a remote control and especially when the motor or electrical component needs to be replaced. Anyhow, on top of the Roll-n-Lock is about 10.5” in width, I am wondering if a company or professionals would make a lockable storage compartment or box to sell it so that I can attach on top of my Roll-n-Lock. Anyhow, I think tonneau covers are useful, save gas, attractive, help in resale with the pickup. Good luck with your purchase.

On 8/28/2018 at 12:31 PM, squeak93 said:

If you want the bed completely dry be sure to add a tail gate seal. That is where the majority of water and dust get into the bed. 

Exactly

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 12:31 PM, squeak93 said:

If you want the bed completely dry be sure to add a tail gate seal. That is where the majority of water and dust get into the bed. 

Additionally, my leaked like a sieve at the front until I put a thin bead of clear silicone window caulk all around the box (take the lid off first), then I put silicone around the tube fittings at the bottom.  Now it's bone dry except for a few drops coming in at the top corners of the tailgate, which is so minimal, it doesn't bother me.  I don't have any type of seal on the tailgate, didn't know they even have one.

The cover is very durable.  You have to be careful to reset the latch fully before closing if you only open it part way, or it can open out on the highway (don't ask me how I know this).  Because of this, I always slide it all the way open, even if I don't need to, before closing again.  

I also purchased the sliding "cargo manager" which is painful to use, and I don't recommend.  

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

B48C623A-D45E-46FF-8399-A34848971B7E.thumb.jpeg.54f4dc68d743682dc184fb55f35e9e59.jpeg
USA truck covers, makes it with a tool box on top, very very similar to the roll n lock

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, sldhead700 said:

USA truck covers, makes it with a tool box on top, very very similar to the roll n lock

Thanks for the information. I think the tool box is not on top but rather in front of the tonneau. I like the concept of having both toolbox and tonneau. I like the toolbox that can be accessed independently from both sides with lockable doors. A thin, narrow, and long toolbox can be invented for attaching on top of Roll n Lock tonneau. I would buy one.

Thanks for the information. I think the tool box is not on top but rather in front of the tonneau. I like the concept of having both toolbox and tonneau. I like the toolbox that can be accessed independently from both sides with lockable doors. A thin, narrow, and long toolbox can be invented for attaching on top of Roll n Lock tonneau. I would buy one.
I don't know, looks on top to me?5cd35d5fbce0cdc5a111b24ff2d68b54.jpg

2 hours ago, sldhead700 said:

And here's the Jr version.....90361cb0eefdb9bb8f630b3d7154b843.jpg

You are right. Thanks. They do make them. That is why I wish that Roll n Lock tonneau company should also sell a lockable toolbox say 3” in height to match its 10.5” top depth. The reason Roll n Lock company should make custom with specs to fit the existing contours nicely. From my previous photo, a tv wall mounting rack paper box was setting on top appears to fit okay, but a professional made one should look like the toolbox is part of the Roll n Lock tonneau cover itself.  I don’t know if it is a copy right trade mark thing as I always wondering why other automakers don’t adopt step bumper like GM pickups. It is great feature. One of the features I love 2014-2019 is the step bumper. If other automakers also added step bumpers then I would have a hard time choosing one. I was having a hard time picking Silverado over F-150. The step bumper stood out, and I still love to climb on the bed using a step bumper. 

406BBF66-A4CE-48D5-8463-58FB27CD1A36.png

• Like 1