1 month ONSTAR trial! :)

dphel27

25 minutes ago, jpinoy said:

Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you meant when you said pay for the app and plan. You can't use the app unless you have a plan, so it's just paying for the plan to use the app. I have the basic for 5/yrs free, ends in 2022. But, I got an email a while back and they offered me the Security at $14.99, which, I was paying $24.99(or $249.90 for 1/yrs subs) for a while back. I just looked in my account and checked the plans, and this is what I'm seeing for my options for my Chevy. 

5bc81d6fa245c_onstarplan.thumb.PNG.40f7af8a8ee13f875ab60cd176b8c8e1.PNG

Do you still have access to the app and Remote Access?  I was told that I had it too but not I'm finding that I don't anymore.

16 minutes ago, colonel00 said:

Do you still have access to the app and Remote Access?  I was told that I had it too but not I'm finding that I don't anymore.

***I replied to this thread on Tapatalk app, so I didn't even see this was in the 2019 section, my bad *****

Yes I do, even if I don't pay for any services right now, I get the remote access until 2022. I have a 2017, so they were still doing the 5/yr basic for free when I got my truck. 

Edited by jpinoy
clarify info

27 minutes ago, jpinoy said:

***I replied to this thread on Tapatalk app, so I didn't even see this was in the 2019 section, my bad *****

Yes I do, even if I don't pay for any services right now, I get the remote access until 2022. I have a 2017, so they were still doing the 5/yr basic for free when I got my truck. 

Interesting.  I also missed that this was the 2019 forum but, as evidenced by my posts, I was searching for an answer to why my access was cut off.  I guess I'll "call" Onstar tomorrow to see what is going on.  I sent an email to my sales dude today but I wasn't surprised by the lack of response.

4 hours ago, jpinoy said:

Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you meant when you said pay for the app and plan. You can't use the app unless you have a plan, so it's just paying for the plan to use the app. I have the basic for 5/yrs free, ends in 2022. But, I got an email a while back and they offered me the Security at $14.99, which, I was paying $24.99(or $249.90 for 1/yrs subs) for a while back. I just looked in my account and checked the plans, and this is what I'm seeing for my options for my Chevy. 

5bc81d6fa245c_onstarplan.thumb.PNG.40f7af8a8ee13f875ab60cd176b8c8e1.PNG

So looks like Chevy was identical to GMC up until 2018 model years and now they want both more for the newly named OnStar plans plus the 14.99 for the new remote access which was included before at no charge.  That's how it was with my Traverse and Impala I had too.  But now it seems they want an extra 20 to have the same level as you are paying the 14.99 for haha.

Then another 20 bucks if you want unlimited data.  So basically 60 bucks a month for remote access, onStar and data now vs the 34.99 it was before starting with 2018s.

4 hours ago, jpinoy said:

Maybe I should call them up and see if they can give me a better deal on the security package.. :D I'm already paying $10 less than what they normally charge, what's another $5 off.. :lol:

Adding the stolen car assistance is an extra $5. I had already got them to give me protection for 9.99/mo and tried to get them to discount the stolen car. I offered $11.99/mo for the security package but they weren't moving. I have a reminder on my calendar to call near expiration and re-negotiate. I use the same tactic with XM. Currently get XM for $9.99/mo.

Adding the stolen car assistance is an extra $5. I had already got them to give me protection for 9.99/mo and tried to get them to discount the stolen car. I offered $11.99/mo for the security package but they weren't moving. I have a reminder on my calendar to call near expiration and re-negotiate. I use the same tactic with XM. Currently get XM for $9.99/mo.

Ok, then I guess it's the same. I also keep getting the XM offers in the mail, but they want to offer it for like $6/ month. I have no need for XM.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, jpinoy said:

Ok, then I guess it's the same. I also keep getting the XM offers in the mail, but they want to offer it for like $6/ month. I have no need for XM.

I just renewed my XM for $5/month for 6 months. Then it goes up to $15.99/mo. I'll call again before they hike it and get the $5/mo option again.

You have to do the threaten to cancel dance but eventually, they'll do the $5/mo.

This last time, they said the $5 promotion wasn't available and offered me $5/mo for 5 months. I declined and said to cancel it and like magic they found the $5 for 6 months deal.

I had the "Mostly Music" plan for $9.99/mo for several years. Then they hiked it up to $10.99 which pissed me off so I threatened to cancel and got the $5 plan and continue to do the dance every few months.

Had they not hiked it to $10.99 I would still be happily paying $9.99/mo. Their loss!

I prefer XM primarily due to no (or minimal) advertising and because I can do a road trip without having to retune every few miles.

• Like 1

I just renewed my XM for $5/month for 6 months. Then it goes up to $15.99/mo. I'll call again before they hike it and get the $5/mo option again.

You have to do the threaten to cancel dance but eventually, they'll do the $5/mo.

This last time, they said the $5 promotion wasn't available and offered me $5/mo for 5 months. I declined and said to cancel it and like magic they found the $5 for 6 months deal.

I had the "Mostly Music" plan for $9.99/mo for several years. Then they hiked it up to $10.99 which pissed me off so I threatened to cancel and got the $5 plan and continue to do the dance every few months.

Had they not hiked it to $10.99 I would still be happily paying $9.99/mo. Their loss!

I prefer XM primarily due to no (or minimal) advertising and because I can do a road trip without having to retune every few miles.
That's a good deal. I tried it during the free trial, just didn't appeal to me.

I stream all my music off of Google Play or SoundCloud.

Before realizing the key fob through the app was no longer included with 2018+ Chevys I emailed OnStar to tell them it wasn't working.  Today about a week or so later they got back with me explaining I need to pay for that now but they ended up giving it to me for 2 more months for free for the inconvenience plus 2 months of free OnStar on top of it! So just for contacting them I got almost 100 dollars in free services, helps make up a little for taking them away at least :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread even through the info I have really doesn't apply to the 2019's which is what his forum is.

Well, I finally contacted my dealer and they said that since I purchased in the first couple of weeks in May that I should contact Onstar.  Apparently, the new plan from Onstar was started on May 1, 2018.  However, they didn't roll out the information very well which is why at least I was told that I would have the 5 year access.  Well, I called Onstar and told them about how I had been told I would have access for 5 years.  I did mention that I was told this during my welcome call as well.  They ended up giving me 5 years of access.  I don't know if this will work for many out there but if you purchased in May or close there to, you might give Onstar a call and see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same complaint on my 2019 GMC.   The GMC App where my previous trucks had 5 year free service included (for send to maps nav, unlock doors, location etc.) now you get 30 days. Total crap! GM is now nickle and diming you after you spend 68K on a new Gas 1500? Very cheap and sad. 

I Don't really use it, But it was nice to know that if I locked my keys in the truck I could just unlock the doors with my phone. 15.00 a month is not a big deal its the point. My 2014 had 2 years of included (free) service (4 oil changes & rotate) Then my  2016 GMC they went to 2 services were included and now in 2019 I get 1.  Sticker price keeps climbing though.

2019 2.jpg

When OnStar added the remote feature back in 2011 and it had only limited compatibility with 2010 models, people were upset. The remote features are very popular. I feel like my 2011 came with six months or maybe even a year of service. In 2019 I cannot come close to buying a similar trim truck but looking at a Custom Trail Boss that stickers for like $7,000 more than my LT did in 2011, I’m getting a lot less for a lot more money. 

• 7 months later...