Rear end (leaf?) noise explained?

Not sure if what I have is the same as others.   When I go over a bump at slow speed I get a "noise".  Not sure I'd identify as a clunk.  I jumped on back of truck and can hear it a little.   HOWEVER... if I shake the truck side to side by grabbing the bed rail I hear it.  From what I can tell it looks like the leafs are sliding side to side.   On my Jeep (Wrangler YJ) the leafs have clips of sorts to keep the leafs stable.  

Thoughts?   Is it the same issue other are having?   

Rubber will wear out.   I've looked at the '19s and the springs have clamps on them.   If I report to dealer and it is documented then if an issue later I have at lest documented the issue.   I'll prob. report to them and then do the rubber until a recall (hopefully) is done.

14 hours ago, Rukus said:

Not sure if what I have is the same as others.   When I go over a bump at slow speed I get a "noise".  Not sure I'd identify as a clunk.  I jumped on back of truck and can hear it a little.   HOWEVER... if I shake the truck side to side by grabbing the bed rail I hear it.  From what I can tell it looks like the leafs are sliding side to side.   On my Jeep (Wrangler YJ) the leafs have clips of sorts to keep the leafs stable.  

I thought that was interesting on my 2016 that there aren't any clips and it looks like one of the leaf springs aren't completely flush with the other and sticks out a bit.  I have the noise too and on 2 occasions they just tossed a bunch of thick grease between the leafs to take away the noise.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nluchau said:

I thought that was interesting on my 2016 that there aren't any clips and it looks like one of the leaf springs aren't completely flush with the other and sticks out a bit.  I have the noise too and on 2 occasions they just tossed a bunch of thick grease between the leafs to take away the noise.  

Noticed the same with mine. And the springs on the 2019s seems to have fixed this issue. Have you been to the dealer recently for it? I read of some people having theirs replaced entirely.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:34 PM, 2016LTCC said:

Noticed the same with mine. And the springs on the 2019s seems to have fixed this issue. Have you been to the dealer recently for it? I read of some people having theirs replaced entirely.

Was at the dealer last week for my leaf springs, no additional fix beyond greasing them.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rukus said:

Did they give you any push back because of your lift?

None at all. But I did purchase the truck with a lift on it from the same dealership that I have my warranty work done at. I have talked to another dealership, that’s a little closer to where I live now, and they have no problems with working on the truck because of the lift. But at the end of the day any dealership could claim they will deny the warranty or not work on a truck because it’s lifted. Legally, they can’t do that. But if that’s their attitude then they probably aren’t worth the hassle of convincing them to work on it. My advice if you need warranty work performed on a lifted truck find a dealership that sells Rocky Ridge, ALC, SCA, or homebrew lifted trucks; they will definitely do warranty work on lifted vehicles.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, 2016LTCC said:

Yes I have been to the dealer twice and all they have done is retorqued and lubed up between where the leaf springs rub.  The noise goes away but I cant imagine for long and I'll be back for a 3rd time.  

On 9/26/2018 at 11:40 PM, Rukus said:

I have the same noise. I  talked to the service adviser yesterday when I had my oil changed. He reproduced it like you did, by shaking the truck side to side. He said it was the 'floating axle' and that it's normal. I did mention TSB 18-NA-183, so they did check and said it was greased fine.

Anyone else get the 'floating axle' explanation? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 10:02 AM, Loco-diablo said:

I have the same noise. I  talked to the service adviser yesterday when I had my oil changed. He reproduced it like you did, by shaking the truck side to side. He said it was the 'floating axle' and that it's normal. I did mention TSB 18-NA-183, so they did check and said it was greased fine.

Anyone else get the 'floating axle' explanation? 

The axle shafts are held inside the axle tubes by C-clips inside of the diff. When there is a little play, the axle shafts can slide side to side just enough to make a noise. When you push sideways on the truck, the axle shafts (attached to the tires) are held in place, so the whole axle housing (shafts and pumpkin) slides sideways.

image.png.a7cfefd78d7d9a2e1f6daf30e95f44bc.png

It's a normal characteristic of a semi-floating axle. Some make more noise than others depending on tolerance stacking.

SO... found the issue...  Shock bolt broke or came loose and the shock... well... see the pics...   :/

I then went to the local dealer and looked t a few used trucks and 1 of 7 had a loose shock.   Bolt was still there but was loose.   

IMG_6835.jpg

IMG_6836.jpg

5 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

The axle shafts are held inside the axle tubes by C-clips inside of the diff. When there is a little play, the axle shafts can slide side to side just enough to make a noise. When you push sideways on the truck, the axle shafts (attached to the tires) are held in place, so the whole axle housing (shafts and pumpkin) slides sideways.

image.png.a7cfefd78d7d9a2e1f6daf30e95f44bc.png

It's a normal characteristic of a semi-floating axle. Some make more noise than others depending on tolerance stacking.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I wasn't sure if I was being hosed.