New tailgate

Was at the dealer getting an oil change on my ‘14 the other day.  They had a ‘19 Denali fresh off the truck being prepped for the showroom.  Looked great in person and the tailgate functioned just as it looked in the YouTube videos.  HOWEVER - a lot of owners are going to be in for a rude awakening when they open the tailgate all the way to use the step up into the bed and damage the tailgate because they have a hitch attached.  When i trade my ‘14 i guess i will need to quit the habit i have of leaving the hitch in after i tow something.

There is no sensor or "idiot" alarm for this possible catastrophe.

Bottom line is you have to be heads up when using the tailgate step feature, especially if there is a receiver hitch installed.

Maybe the aftermarket or even Phil (pgamboa) will come up with something.

30 minutes ago, teyaroch said:

I believe there may be a sensor that will help mitigate the potential for damage.  The automatic down doesn't work if an obstacle is sensed either.

teyaroch, Can you elaborate on where this information comes from?                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No sensor.  They touched on this in some product training as well that the center opening section should not be opened if there is a trailer hitch installed.  Owner's manual even has literature to warn you of damage:

To open the inner tailgate, press the upper touch pad on the tailgate handle after unlocking all doors. Pull the top of the tailgate to open.

Caution: Do not open the inner tailgate with the primary tailgate open if there is a hitch ball or trailer attached. This may damage the tailgate.

Also, step on the center section has a max weight capacity of 375lbs. 

Edited by newdude

Trucks Equipped with a Hitch Ball

Do not lower the inner gate with the primary gate open (easy access or step positions) if a hitch ball or trailer is attached. This may damage the tailgate due to the amount of clearance between the hitch receiver and the lowered inner gate. (Fig. 26)

F26-g-inner-gate-lowered-R.jpg

2 hours ago, teyaroch said:

Man, I thought for sure I saw on a video review something about the tailgate protected from opening when parked next to something.  Using the parking sensors.  

The sensor you are thinking of is on the power-close gate that comes standard on the SLT and Denali (not the Multi-gate that is an option).  If you try to power-close the gate and it hits an obstruction it will come back open (just like the easy-up windows).

Edited by sk

On the upside, this multi-purpose tailgate will serve as a  reminder not to leave the receiver attached!  A hitch left in the receiver can be a significant hazard to others.  I appreciate there is a potential inconvenience if frequently needing the step during a period of heavy trailer use but nothing that should warrant extra sensors. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dr. ice said:

Does anyone know if the multi pro gate can be locked since it is not keyed?

It's all electronic. It locks automatically when the cab doors are locked. Just like now. You have to unlock the doors before the handle will work.

Edited by mkward72