Vacuum Pump Delete - Electric Replacmenent

Man, really wish I saw this a couple weeks ago when I had a dealership replace my vacuum pump. $700 later my brakes are back to normal. Based on other threads it looks like the replacement will probably go faulty just like the original. At that time I'll be doing this. Awesome work here, thanks!

No problem. Hopefully my mistakes will help prevent others from running into the same issues. I know I’ve benefitted from countless threads here for similar projects.

For anyone who just wants to delete the pump with no plans on running a bypass filter, the GM part number for the oil plugs is: 11546665. They are about $5 and have Threadlocker pre-applied.

She runs! Got everything plumbed and so far no leaks. I cut the hoses long so I could redo them with the correct tools for a more professional look, so right now the bypass filter system looks a bit sloppy.

The bypass filter and electric vacuum pump both fit under (above) the plastic engine “shield.” I’m running the EaBP90 filter. I bought a 110 but couldn’t find a place to mount it so I ordered the 90.

On the frame, there are two vertical depressions that run parallel to each other. The best spot for this filter and base combo is to locate the rear-most vertical depression and then to place the top mounting hole for the base just on top of the vertical line and one of the side mounting holes on each side of the line. This will allow the filter to rest just above the plastic engine shield yet still allow your hoses to run without interfering with other parts. I mounted mine just a bit lower and the filter kisses the plastic shield.655b908a66fd99b5bf54aaa14f01bcb6.jpg

Now that the truck is back up and running, I’ll head out to the store to finally buy a vacuum gauge and get some readings and see how it feels when I drive. One thing I did observe during testing is that the pump activated every time I hit the brake pedal. While the pump isn’t loud, it isn’t silent either. I’m curious to see how it sounds once the hood is closed, shield is back on and I’m driving down the road. More to come tomorrow.

The pump runs every time I press or release the brake pedal. It sounds almost exactly like the washer fluid pump except the vacuum pump has a slightly lower tone and slightly lower volume. I can’t hear it when driving at 45mph but it’s easily heard at 1-25mph.

If you drive around at different speeds and activate your washer fluid pump every time you hit the brake you are gonna get a very close representation of what it sounds like. If you can tolerate the sound of the washing fluid pump you will definitely be able to handle the vacuum pump since it’s slightly lower in volume and tone.

I’m at the store right now and buying a vacuum gauge. I’ll post again once I have the vacuum readings.

The pump activates at 16 inches Hg vac and cuts off at 21.5 inches.
That is around spec on daily driving I see 16-20hg. Wonder how you could make it quite? Rubber mounts like MSD sells or a cover with dynonat inside it. I probably wouldn't hear it or my exhaust anyways.Also wonder if a vacuum tank would reduce the cycle times.
Good job on the install. Wish I would have taped that connector in the fuse box for my rap wire. I got it from the connector box on the floor and wired a relay in. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That is around spec on daily driving I see 16-20hg. Wonder how you could make it quite? Rubber mounts like MSD sells or a cover with dynonat inside it. I probably wouldn't hear it or my exhaust anyways.Also wonder if a vacuum tank would reduce the cycle times.
Good job on the install. Wish I would have taped that connector in the fuse box for my rap wire. I got it from the connector box on the floor and wired a relay in. Oh well.
Thanks! It is mounted with rubber grommets. The pump comes with them installed and a aluminum flange bushing. I removed the aluminum flange bushing to make room for the 1/4” stainless bolts that I ran through the frame to mount the pump with. 0885446c34c7f4f7002b2fac3e72ef65.jpg
The sound is the sound of the pump. A dynamat lined box would help but I’d be concerned about heat build up especially with how often the pump runs. With an aftermarket exhaust I doubt you will hear the pump.

I’m gonna reach out to CVR to get some specs on their pump motor. I would be surprised if they didn’t use a continuous duty motor.

I’ve been thinking about a vacuum tank. Honestly I’m not sure how big it would need to be to really make a difference. I like the feedback that the pump is working although I would have preferred a gauge or light.

I disassembled the factory pump as much as I could without removing the pulley. I was very surprised to see the exhaust for the pump is vented to the engine’s crank case via the return oil port. The oil intake appears to feed the bearings directly then is directed up into the vacuum chamber where it is returned to the engine via the exhaust port.

Blue Arrows: Intake air path of travel

Red Arrows: Exhaust air and oil path of travel

Yellow Arrow: Secondary exhaust port

Green Arrows: Oil intake and exit into vacuum chamber96a83f81b8fcab05bb46dfa9b6990955.jpg1674e1369181fb912b4bcf2cfb220e9e.jpgThere are two exhaust ports, one appears to be there only to prevent breaking the pump if it is spindled in reverse. There is a check valve on the hose connection for the pump and prevents oil or gas from being sent to the booster.cbe7c168c1af170db6b8db61e100dfc3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

dealer just called Vacumm pump. But wait it doesn't stop there The service bulletin and the Gm class action lawsuit all so mention. There is a list of parts that need replaced. And it pays the tech 2.8 hours. I would say people on this forum should sticky the bulletin for people to see HUGE safety issue and dealer SHOULD replace but I hear turns people away. 

Whats the purpose of the second oil filter? Is it a just because thing?
He just likes oil filters and oil accessories. However now that I see this, i think that is a great way to add a cooler and it be hassle free to the oil filter or in my case turbo feed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1