Pulsing Vibration While Stopped

I have started to notice while sitting at a stop light or in a drive thru that it is very easy to feel a pulsing vibration or shudder coming from the truck. My RMPs are not jumping while at idle so that isn't the problem. The truck isn't making any type of engine noise out of the ordinary either. I have tested the infamous "Chevy Shake" at highway speed and have not experienced it at any point, just when I am at a stop in gear do I feel the pulsating vibration or shake in the truck that is more then just your "normal" idle. Vehicle has had regular maintenance and only has 26,xxx miles. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea of the possible issue? Of course I can take to dealer as it is under warranty but dreading the "that's normal" response, I want to maybe be able to give them a little more detail because I know it simply isn't "well its a truck not a luxury vehicle". Truck is 2016 V6 4x4 Z71. Thoughts?

I have a feeling i know what your talking about, my buddy has a 2012 LTZ 6.2 and said you can feel the cam (stock motor) when you sit there and while I have a 2014 6.2 i imagined it was the same thing so i disregarded it.

My '15 would do that, then I bumped it into N, and it went away.  After awhile, I didn't worry about it anymore, as I was told that they all have a rough idle, in gear.  Haven't noticed it, yet, with my '18.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, so far. I would think even if it was the cam shaft, that is still a lot of vibration and would do some amount of damage internally over time, maybe I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time (My wife would be quick to agree ha!).  They definitely idle rougher then I though they would, while it isn't a huge problem, my mind just goes to things like is it the motor mounts ect ect ect? If this seems to be a common pulsing that others are feeling I guess I can write it off as a factory installed massager but I feel like I already paid the extra to GM for the happy ending:D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, goeb34 said:

I have a feeling i know what your talking about, my buddy has a 2012 LTZ 6.2 and said you can feel the cam (stock motor) when you sit there and while I have a 2014 6.2 i imagined it was the same thing so i disregarded it.

Not the cam. It's the low idle.

These motors idle at 400 RPM. Pretty low for a V8 but thanks to the variable valve timing, they can get away with it.

Edited by '17 Sierra
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, '17 Sierra said:

Not the cam. It's the low idle.

These motors idle at 400 RPM. Pretty low for a V8 but thanks to the variable valve timing, they can get away with it.

I concur.  My 2015 Silverado has done that as long as I can remember.  After I first noticed I mentioned it when I took it in for service.  Yep - Got that "It's normal" statement because of the low idle. Always thought it was going to stall out.  Also have that "Chevy Shake".  Mostly above 65mph.  Of course, service says "cannot duplicate" even though everyone knows it's there.  Even after all this time, when I feel that at a red light, I immediately look at the RPM gauge thinking somethings wrong.  "It's normal" they say...

• Like 1

Is the oil pressure normal at idle?  And are you using full synthetic?  Air filter clean?  Check out some of the basics first.

Maybe check the belts too.

4 hours ago, Moore84 said:

I have started to notice while sitting at a stop light or in a drive thru that it is very easy to feel a pulsing vibration or shudder coming from the truck. My RMPs are not jumping while at idle so that isn't the problem. The truck isn't making any type of engine noise out of the ordinary either. I have tested the infamous "Chevy Shake" at highway speed and have not experienced it at any point, just when I am at a stop in gear do I feel the pulsating vibration or shake in the truck that is more then just your "normal" idle. Vehicle has had regular maintenance and only has 26,xxx miles. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea of the possible issue? Of course I can take to dealer as it is under warranty but dreading the "that's normal" response, I want to maybe be able to give them a little more detail because I know it simply isn't "well its a truck not a luxury vehicle". Truck is 2016 V6 4x4 Z71. Thoughts?

Oil pressure is normal. I am running full synthetic, and air filter is new within 3,000 miles. The truck is currently at 26,000 miles total. Havent inspected the belts closely but didn’t see anything glaring last time I did a general inspection of the engine bay. 

I know the tranny flush flush is used for the Chevy shake which don’t have but not sure if related to my issue. 

27 minutes ago, btj_z71 said:

Is the oil pressure normal at idle?  And are you using full synthetic?  Air filter clean?  Check out some of the basics first.

Maybe check the belts too.

Hmm, wondering if GM would raise the idle 50-100 RPM. Maybe find a canned tune device to change it.

Mine does have a rough idle occasionally. Dropping into neutral does resolve the issue by allowing the RPMs to increase a little.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

my two cents....you could possibly have an injector starting to fail have a 2017 6.2 L at 20,000 miles I was starting to get a rough idle down maybe 50 rpm and eventually it kicked a check engine light but it took a while for that to happen. They checked all my injectors and the one was running slightly below their minimum level. Changed under warranty and all is good again

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...
On 10/24/2018 at 3:09 PM, Moore84 said:

I have started to notice while sitting at a stop light or in a drive thru that it is very easy to feel a pulsing vibration or shudder coming from the truck. My RMPs are not jumping while at idle so that isn't the problem. The truck isn't making any type of engine noise out of the ordinary either. I have tested the infamous "Chevy Shake" at highway speed and have not experienced it at any point, just when I am at a stop in gear do I feel the pulsating vibration or shake in the truck that is more then just your "normal" idle. Vehicle has had regular maintenance and only has 26,****** miles. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea of the possible issue? Of course I can take to dealer as it is under warranty but dreading the "that's normal" response, I want to maybe be able to give them a little more detail because I know it simply isn't "well its a truck not a luxury vehicle". Truck is 2016 V6 4x4 Z71. Thoughts?

Have you figured this out I have a 2014 gmc sierra v6 4l60e 200k miles. I've been having this issue for about 30k miles. I put it in neutral and it stops fine but in drive it shakes I've noticed when I'm on a slant like hill type and put it in drive it will shake hard until I put it in neutral I have a brand new transmission and rear end rebuild with both now 55 thousands miles roughly I want to say

1 hour ago, noel gump said:

Have you figured this out I have a 2014 gmc sierra v6 4l60e 200k miles. I've been having this issue for about 30k miles. I put it in neutral and it stops fine but in drive it shakes I've noticed when I'm on a slant like hill type and put it in drive it will shake hard until I put it in neutral I have a brand new transmission and rear end rebuild with both now 55 thousands miles roughly I want to say

We regret to hear you are having concerns with your 2014 Sierra and would like to take the opportunity to learn more. Please send us an email to [email protected]. Be sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to hearing from you. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, GMCustomerService said:

We regret to hear you are having concerns with your 2014 Sierra and would like to take the opportunity to learn more. Please send us an email to [email protected]. Be sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to hearing from you. 

I have emailed yall but for some reason I can not sent the video of the issue 

8 hours ago, noel gump said:

I have emailed yall but for some reason I can not sent the video of the issue 

Don't bother. They are completely useless and I have yet to hear anyone actually helped by them. They come on here about once a month, post that exact same post to various threads only changing the name of the poster and you never hear anything further from them. 

Oops, I just noticed that now they don't even acknowledge the poster's name that they are "responding" to. If you go to their profile page and look at all their previous posts, you can see exactly what I mean

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/profile/92340-gmcustomerservice/

Edited by mikeyk101