Best tonneau cover?

Truxedo Pro X15 soft roll-up on my 2018 Sierra. Like that it sits virtually flat (15 degrees) and only leaks a little bit in carwash. Don't even notice it until you are right next to it. Made with a heavy flat black fabric like a convertible top as opposed the cheap looking shiny vinyl on most covers. Photo right after I installed in early spring. It closes very tight and smooth with no wrinkling.

20180602_120704.jpg

Edited by Birdwatcher62

I have the truck gear (line x) version of the bakflip mx4 and i would not buy it again.  It looks great but it does leak.  I have solved most of the leaking issues but there is still water that gets in somewhere.  Also when it is folded all the way against the cab, the foam bumper doesnt line up right and the cover rubs and squeaks against the 3rd brake light.  The hinges also slip no matter what when the cover is folded all the way up and i have to stop periodically to retighten them so it doesnt smack the cab.  

I have the Bakflip 4 and although I haven't got a lot of miles yet, I have had no issues with the straps coming loose or water. Drove 260 miles in hard (Hurricane Michael) rain and had zero water inside. Someone mentioned the foam bumper not lining up right...well I can only guess that it wasn't installed correctly because mine works perfectly, that foam  (at least on mine) is NOT pre-installed so it's up to the installer to align it properly. I do agree the rearview visibility is pretty much gone with it up and latched. The material is not ever going to with-stand hard objects falling on it, it will probably dent easily. For me it really came down to cost (or my pi$$ poor budgeting skills)...spent a lot of money after purchase. RC leveling kit, new tires, locking lugs, 2 10 inch subs, box and amp, Borla ATAK catback, tint, Denali cluster swap, color matched window vents and hood deflector, RXP Oil catch can, dash mat, drivers side grab handle, truck bed mat and then the tonneau cover. If I had bought the cover first, I probably would have gone with the retractable style but for now I am very happy with the Bakflip 4.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
16 hours ago, hapan said:

Hello, I recently purchased a new 3500 with the 6'9 bed. When I was going over the details, I asked for a hard folding tonneau cover that when folded all the way doesnt affect the rear view camera. Does anyone know of a hard-folding tonneau cover (maybe a 4 fold vs a 3) that does not obstruct the rear view camera when all the way up? Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Although this forum is for 1500 Chevys and GMCs, you could just go with this:

My previous truck had the soft roll up one. It did what it was supposed to do, but after some a$$hole cut it to see what was inside the bed, I will never own one again. Since then, I've installed a Roll-N-Lock and am very happy with it. It's secure, and it keeps 99% of the water out. If you haven't already, check it out. 

• Like 1

I had a BAK Revolver X2 for quite a while after I bought my 2016 new to cover the bed. Here is some info on it.

https://realtruck.com/p/bak-revolver-x2-tonneau-cover/

The reasons I liked it was that it looked like a soft cover but had a lot more strength. When fully closed and tailgate locked, you couldn't get to the latches so was more secure. It rolled up easily when I needed access to the bed.

The only reason I took it off was because I needed a truck cap more and ended up adding a Century cap. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 2:57 PM, TXGREEK said:

Incorrect information. What you’ve listed is some of the worst. I’ve personally owned the tri-fold BakFlip and it was garbage being built with paper thin aluminum, plastic locking mechanisms as well as dangerous while up, the rear view being blocked. The Retrax and Roll-N-Lock are considered the best.

You get what you pay for.

Hello
I'm new to the forum and just looking for a tonneau cover. I need advice from experienced users. Found your comment in this thread. I don't know what to choose. Initially, I wanted to buy a hard tonneau cover, but I read that many still prefer soft ones. What do you think of these options https://tonneaucovershub.com/chevy-silverado/? Are they worth considering at all?

16 hours ago, Travis Clayton said:

Hello
I'm new to the forum and just looking for a tonneau cover. I need advice from experienced users. Found your comment in this thread. I don't know what to choose. Initially, I wanted to buy a hard tonneau cover, but I read that many still prefer soft ones. What do you think of these options https://tonneaucovershub.com/chevy-silverado/? Are they worth considering at all?

I wouldn't consider any of the ones listed in the above link. I had a soft roll-up one before, and it was ok in the beginning. Eventually, it stretched and slapped around a lot, and it wasn't great at keeping water out. The straw that broke the camel's back was when someone decided to slice it with a knife to see what was in the bed. I don't link the foldable cover as they block the rear window. 

I have the Roll-N-Lock (https://rollnlock.com/m-series). It has survived the SC elements since 2017 (truck is not parked in a garage), it keeps 99.5% of the water out, it still functions flawlessly, and besides being dirty, the vinyl cover that covers the aluminum slats shows no signs of wear.

Good luck with your decision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UrbanRage said:

I wouldn't consider any of the ones listed in the above link. I had a soft roll-up one before, and it was ok in the beginning. Eventually, it stretched and slapped around a lot, and it wasn't great at keeping water out. The straw that broke the camel's back was when someone decided to slice it with a knife to see what was in the bed. I don't link the foldable cover as they block the rear window. 

I have the Roll-N-Lock (https://rollnlock.com/m-series). It has survived the SC elements since 2017 (truck is not parked in a garage), it keeps 99.5% of the water out, it still functions flawlessly, and besides being dirty, the vinyl cover that covers the aluminum slats shows no signs of wear.

Good luck with your decision. 

Thank you so much for your full answer!

• Like 1