Cold weather errors (trailer connection & sensors)

I hear you. Let me know what they say. I hate to lose work time and have mine back at the dealer less than a week after I bought it but it’s getting to that point. After I posted, it must have did it another 20 times when I went to lunch and I’m just annoyed as can be. I messaged the dealer to see if they have any inside knowledge on the problem. I’d be more encouraged to take it in if everyone on this thread who brought there’s in didn’t continue to have the issue.

This is my second time in to dealership for it first time I think they just checked for error codes etc and said they reset some things but didn’t find anything glaring.  I’ll keep you posted what they say tomorrow.  Also just ran out to do some errands and it’s 15 out it did the errors for first 5-10 minutes in the car then stopped for a bit but then came back again.  Pretty inconsistent and the truck is clean so no sensor imparement.

This is my second time in to dealership for it first time I think they just checked for error codes etc and said they reset some things but didn’t find anything glaring.  I’ll keep you posted what they say tomorrow.  Also just ran out to do some errands and it’s 15 out it did the errors for first 5-10 minutes in the car then stopped for a bit but then came back again.  Pretty inconsistent and the truck is clean so no sensor imparement.
I'll be taking mine in for the second time at the end of the week. They did the same with mine the first time, and they found no errors.

We will see how it goes this time.

Let's all keep posting in here with updates if we can. Any info helps that we can pass along to each other.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Just got a call from the service advisor. He said the GM engineers are still trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue, software issue or both. He said it could be weeks to months before a solution is identified but that it is a known issue and they are working on it. 

I filled out an online safety complaint with the NHTSA after the distraction almost caused me to read end someone. I hope if others do the same GM won’t be able to just ignore this thing for a few months. 

On the clean/dirty sensor thing...

Today I drove over Teton pass... heavy wet snow. Incredibly bad conditions. Some of the worst I have driven through in a couple years. 

The truck was fantastic, the tranny did exactly the same ‘holding gears and soft up shifting’ to hold downhill speed as I would have done with a manual. I haven’t had a trans that doesn’t slam gears with a manual up shift when the rpms are high during grade holding before this one. Truly impressive.

Front wheel drive cars in the uphill lane headed towards Jackson couldn’t even get up the grade due to ice. (I hope they like their ticket for ignoring the 4x4/chains conditions in effect signs). The trucks was totally composed through it all mostly around 20-30mph. 

Anyways, back on topic. After 200 miles in heavy freezing slush my truck was encased in tons of ice. The running boards were full to the bottom of the doors (might be a design issue there— at least something to watch for). The sensors front and rear had at least a half inch of ice. Putting the truck in gear made it pretty unhappy for a bit with the buzzing seat until I got moving. 

All that time though the trailer thing did not go off. To me this means the issue is strictly the trailer connection system and not the parking sensors. The alerts about disabled parking sensors and rear traffic are probably just what it does when it thinks there is a trailer connected. 

• Like 1

Yup, I think you’re right on the money and I will also fill out a complaint. I’ve noticed similar things...I had my truck out in a blizzard a few days ago, parking sensors covered in snow and ice, did not have the issue. Today the truck was pretty clean, but it was much colder, and the error was happening non stop. I wiped the sensors off and it still persisted until it got above 20 degrees outside. Almost everyone on here talks about the issue at below 20 degrees. There is something to it, and it’s temperature related, not snow or dirt on sensors. 

I filled out an online safety complaint with the NHTSA after the distraction almost caused me to read end someone. I hope if others do the same GM won’t be able to just ignore this thing for a few months. 

Today I drove over Teton pass... heavy wet snow. Incredibly bad conditions. Some of the worst I have driven through in a couple years. 

The truck was fantastic, the tranny did exactly the same ‘holding gears and soft up shifting’ to hold downhill speed as I would have done with a manual. I haven’t had a trans that doesn’t slam gears with a manual up shift when the rpms are high during grade holding before this one. Truly impressive.

Front wheel drive cars in the uphill lane headed towards Jackson couldn’t even get up the grade due to ice. (I hope they like their ticket for ignoring the 4x4/chains conditions in effect signs). The trucks was totally composed through it all mostly around 20-30mph. 

Anyways, back on topic. After 200 miles in heavy freezing slush my truck was encased in tons of ice. The running boards were full to the bottom of the doors (might be a design issue there— at least something to watch for). The sensors front and rear had at least a half inch of ice. Putting the truck in gear made it pretty unhappy for a bit with the buzzing seat until I got moving. 

All that time though the trailer thing did not go off. To me this means the issue is strictly the trailer connection system and not the parking sensors. The alerts about disabled parking sensors and rear traffic are probably just what it does when it thinks there is a trailer connected. 

I am thinking the same.

That being said, I've had lane keep assist and lane change alerts cycle on and off as well. Both would not be affected by a trailer being hooked up.

So the stuff at the back of the truck, I do think you are correct.

19 minutes ago, KA0S said:

I am thinking the same.

That being said, I've had lane keep assist and lane change alerts cycle on and off as well. Both would not be affected by a trailer being hooked up.

So the stuff at the back of the truck, I do think you are correct.

“LCA is disabled when the trailer connection status is displayed. A DIC message may display. The SBZA system still operates.”

I’ve haven’t had the lane keep assist fail yet, but the LCA and the trailering features are definitely connected, and I think the trailer problem is taking out the LCA and causing the two errors, one after another.

• Like 1

Same issue here. Less than 600 miles on 2019 1500. It's at the dealer for the second time in less than three weeks (2 of those weeks it wasn't driven). Took it out in the snow five blocks to grab a bite and on the way back home constant trailer disconnected messages on the dash. Dealer told me today it was water/moisture in the sensor again and I would just have to deal with it until GM has a fix. Calmly told them that was unacceptable and I would pick the truck up when it was resolved or they can take it back. 

• Like 2

What was their response?  Seriously I was on the verge of getting my 3rd tundra but really liked what the Chevy brought to the table now I’m 2nd guessing self.  I really

like the truck but man this is just bad for a brand new model. And to say it’s moisture and temps is so typical dealership bs all they care about is selling the car.  They need to be our advocate here and get it fixed and communicate it to the owners. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Brandon Gilbert said:

What was their response?  Seriously I was on the verge of getting my 3rd tundra but really liked what the Chevy brought to the table now I’m 2nd guessing self.  I really

like the truck but man this is just bad for a brand new model. And to say it’s moisture and temps is so typical dealership bs all they care about is selling the car.  They need to be our advocate here and get it fixed and communicate it to the owners. 

They contacted GM and are waiting for them to respond. Hopefull will have an update tomorrow sometime. After reading these posts I am not real optimistic