Cold weather errors (trailer connection & sensors)

Well, I’ve had my fill. Made an appointment for tomorrow morning. It’s going to barely be above zero for the next ten days and I can’t handle it anymore. Today it’s 17 and already the error is back at it so I can only imagine what it will be like below zero. Wish it was colder during the test drive because I never would have taken delivery of this thing. ?

Needless to say, their “cleaning and inspection” didn’t fix it. BUT I did discover something that greatly reduces the annoyance factor of this problem. Go into your trailer app settings and turn off the trailer detection alert! 

C8A28015-592F-4029-ADE3-C17B206E944D_zps

With this off, the infotainment screen no longer flashes/ turns off every time the error codes pop up. You still get the messages in the DIC but at least the radio screen is left alone. Hope this helps you like it helped me!

20 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Needless to say, their “cleaning and inspection” didn’t fix it. BUT I did discover something that greatly reduces the annoyance factor of this problem. Go into your trailer app settings and turn off the trailer detection alert! 

C8A28015-592F-4029-ADE3-C17B206E944D_zps

With this off, the infotainment screen no longer flashes/ turns off every time the error codes pop up. You still get the messages in the DIC but at least the radio screen is left alone. Hope this helps you like it helped me!

Thank you!!! If you were anywhere near Chicago I'd be headed to your place right now with a case of your favorite beer. Ha!

• Like 1

Recalled guest trailer brake gain
Is the latest notification popping up on the infotainment screen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
9b18d59a9eaff383ee69ef889585b750.jpg
Got that one too.

Truck is with the dealer.

I printed out the paperwork posted above, so they are aware of everything GM knows.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Yeah, I’ve been getting that one too. It’s still not as annoying because the whole screen doesn’t briefly shut off anymore with the trailer detection disabled.

Interesting that my dealer seemed to be all too aware of the problem. They had that printed out and waiting for me, and told me right off the bat there was no fix. I didn’t need to explain it at all.

The tech said they’ll call me when a solution comes down. Although it’s probably pointless for anyone to bring theirs in expecting a solution, at least it’s good to document the issue and keep their feet to the fire. 

I filled out the safety complaint form linked upthread. I also posted the errors to Youtube and sent the link to the Fast Lane Truck guys. If we generate awareness/visibility of this issue and it starts being "a thing" in the minds of potential truck buyers then GM will really be motivated to move on this. 

EDIT: I was just contacted by an editor from Fast Lane Truck with a couple of follow-up questions. He says it might be worthy of a story on their website. Will keep you all posted. 

Edited by Shawn O'Leary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woke up to my truck having a world record number of warning messages probably due to the cold. Service Brake Assist, Service ESC, Service Steering Assist, Speed Limited to 62, Trailer disconnected, Lane Keep Assist Disabled, Parking Sensor Blocked.

Check engine light, brake light, ABS light, stability control light, and parking brake light all on. 

I’m going to give it a pass because it’s -19 degrees out, but my goodness. I have an old VW with 205k miles that doesn’t have this many problems with the weather. My old diesels never did either.

Just dropped mine off at the dealer for the third time for this issue. Less than 300 miles since I bought it and in the shop three times in less than a month. I told them for $50k that I refuse to accept the answer "we'll call you when we figure it out". Told them to keep it until they can fix it. 

• Like 1

My partner has a new FORD, the forums are full of rear connector issues just like you are all talking about. rear 

connections, cold weather and road debris, info center issues.

I wonder if the factory coated the connections?  Strange that FORD and CHEVY have similar issues 

• Like 1

I have heard that about Ford’s, but the ones we’ve been having don’t seem to be related to debris/ salt. This started happening to me with 250 miles on my truck. The thing was spotless when the dealer looked at it.

I really suspect this is a defect within the “trailer lighting control module”. If the part is made in Mexico, their electronics are notorious for poor quality solder joints. Stuff gets cold and the cracks in the solder open up. If it was just a software issue I assume a fix would have already come down. I hope we will find out soon enough.

• Like 1